My husband and I are considering purchasing a home in Lake Elsinore, but not sure about the commute, he works in Costa Mesa, any input?

Asked by bailey516, Costa Mesa, CA Tue Dec 11, 2012

Answers

15
Jerry Gardner, Agent, Dana Point, CA
Tue Dec 11, 2012
Hi, I made the commute for about seven months from Temecula to Irvine. It's doable but it does get old. I went over the Ortega to the 5 fwy, and the person who said it's a 2 hr commute each way is right. but it can get longer in the rainy weather due to accidents and mud or rock slides. He could also go 15 to 91 to 55 and maybe look for a carpool buddy but it still is a long commute and it gets old quick.

Some of the people I knew who made the same commute would stay in Orange County a couple of nights a week with friends or family just to offset the drive, and I did that as well until I ended up moving in Orange County.

South Corona, Yorba Linda or Southwest Riverside would be easier on the commute. Good luck.
Tina Vo, , Lake Elsinore, CA
Tue Dec 11, 2012
Hello Mrs. Bailey! This is Tina Vo with Realty One Group. I have a listing in Tuscany Hills, Lake Elsinore in escrow now and have sold a few homes there. I live in Huntington Beach. I have been going back and forth to LE, the commute is about an hour from Costa Mesa, so it's not bad if you want to live in a beautiful home for half or 1/3 of the price in Costa Mesa. You can buy a beautiful home there with 2-story, 4-5 bedrooms, 3 baths, 3-car garage, 2500 - 3200 sqft with price range from $250K - $350K. Tuscany Hills and Canyon Hills are the 2 most prestigeous areas with beautiful community pool/spa, club house and goft courses (Canyon Hills). The next community is Rosetta Canyon, newer area with homes built since 2006. the home price is lower than the first two.
If you have additional questions about Lake Elsinore, please don't hesitate to call me at 714-345-8415 and will send you a few listings for you to preview online.
Thank you for contacting me and good luck with your new home!
Happy Holidays.
Web Reference:  http://www.tinavorealtor.com
Barbara Mill…, , Riverside, CA
Tue Dec 11, 2012
If he works a 9-5 job, the commute will take over 2 hours each way on some days, even more coming home on a Friday evening. I would consider South Corona or even North Corona like Eastvale. At least there you can get off on earlier exits and take side streets home. You do have to watch for Mello Roos and assoc. fees but those properties are usually lower priced to account for that since they are less desirable. It evens out in the long run. Interest rates are at an all time low, but market is beginning to rise so whatever you do, do it quickly. Locking in a low rate and low purchase price now will far out weigh what you pay in special assessments. Don't be too picky, offer on everything you would like, because its going to be hard to get anything accepted in this market. Find your dream home later once the market settles down and you have equity from this purchase. Use an agent who knows how to be very proactive, reaching out to other agents to get offers accepted, using the tools like the auto email system straight from the MLS so that you are notified the minute a property hits the market. Good luck and feel free to contact me if you need an agent that knows how to write offers in this market.
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Tue Dec 11, 2012
The Elisnore Valley is beautiful no doubt and there is very little if any smog. There are areas there that you need to be concerned about but then you can say that about any community. Not knowing what your price point is you may also want to look at the Canyon Lake area. It's a very upscale, gate guarded private community with its own golf course and skiing & fishing lake.

If he's commuting from Costa Mesa everyday that could get old real quick if he need to travel during rush hour. There are also some very nice communitites closer to Corona that you may want to look into as well. Good Luck.
Valli Lopez, Agent, San Diego, CA
Tue Dec 11, 2012
I think it's a wonderful idea. Lake Elsinore has new homes at a super affordable price, which is why I assume you chose that area. Also, the school system is amazing, if you didn't know that either. If you want to put things in contrast, I just sold a house in San Jacinto to someone who works in San Diego, all because they wanted a nice area for an affordable price. If your husband is willing to sacrifice a long drive for a better quality of life, I think he is a wise man.

Let me know if you need help with the home search, I have exclusive mls listings that may not appear on trulia and other search engines.

Best of Luck,

Valli Lopez
CA DRE 01810641
619-916-9595 direct
Valli@thebrikhogroup.com
Web Reference:  http://www.vallilopez.com
Kari Brandler, Agent, Upland, CA
Tue Apr 30, 2013
I am working with buyers who are basically dealing with the same situation the husband works in Huntington Beach area. The 91 will be a nightmare Ortega Highway would be the best bet. Have you considered Chino Hills area or Corona, Eastvale that will cut off some of the driving time, best bet is toll roads Feel free to call me if you should have any questions or would like for me to show you a few different communities.

Kari Brandler
1 Advanced Realty & Appraisal
R.E. License 01751970
Cell: (909) 292-6142
Email: kari.brandler@yahoo.com
Website: http://www.karibrandler.com
glkelsnr4, Home Seller, Lake Elsinore, CA
Mon Apr 15, 2013
Daily commute would be nightmare if he took the 91. If he takes the Ortega Highway, it may be better.
Kimchinguyen…, Home Buyer, Lake Elsinore, CA
Wed Mar 20, 2013
You should not buy a house in Lake Elsinore if your husband works in Costa Mesa because freeway 91 is heavy traffic and you need to buy a fast track and gas is expensive. You should look for the house in Santa Ana. I am a real estate broker, if you need to buy a house, contact me at 714-722-5981. My name is Kimchi (Century 21 Beachside)
Martin Monta…, Agent, Corona, CA
Tue Feb 26, 2013
Vanessa-The drive is long.
I drive into Santa Ana about 2 or 3 times a week and have been doing it for a long time. The traffic is the worst part about it. I try to avoid driving during the rush hour.
I would suggest to try the drive at the usual time he would be driving to from Costa Mesa see how he feels. I personally like the drive but i don't have to do it everyday or during rush hour traffic.
Whether you choose to stay in OC or come out to Elsinore I'd like to offer our services in helping you find the home you are looking for. If you will be financing and have not yet been pre-qualified, contact me I know a good lender.

Martin Montanez
myhomenow@hotmail.com
PollyAnna Sn…, Agent, Bozeman, MT
Thu Feb 7, 2013
Vanessa - don't do it. I lived and brokered real estate in southern California for over a decade and your husband does not want to be making that drive. Find a good lender and good loan and get a place closer to Costa Mesa. There's great places to live closer to CM.
Vanessa Bara…, Home Buyer, Lake Elsinore, CA
Thu Feb 7, 2013
good luck with the driving
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Sat Dec 15, 2012
Thumbs up to Harold. That's the best idea I've heard on this thread.
Brad Yzermans, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Murrieta, CA
Tue Dec 11, 2012
The commute is a concern, but can be affected big time by when he goes to work........have you also considered 2-3 other factors about Lake Elsinore? Many of the newer homes have effective property tax rates equal to 2.0% or higher......after adding all the assessments/mello roos etc..., not to mention HOA fees.

Consider the local area and crime rates, as well as the school system.

I'm not saying it's bad, just be careful of where you buy and make sure you work with an agent who really knows the area well. I can refer a good real estate agent if you want.

You may want to consider south Corona where you can take advantage of a $0 down payment purchase program.
Web Reference:  http://homeloanartist.com
What is this $0 down payment purchase program in Corona, and is it exclusive to Corona?
Flag Thu Dec 13, 2012
Jory Blake, Agent, Norco, CA
Tue Dec 11, 2012
Depending on his work hours, you may find yourself in some aggravating traffic. Also, Lake Elsinore doesn't have the greatest reputation but there are some nicer neighborhoods in the newer sections.
I'd recommend South Corona over Lake Elsinore.

Jory Blake
951.742.3751
Web Reference:  http://www.JORYBLAKE.com
Advantage Te…, Agent, San Diego, CA
Tue Dec 11, 2012
A great website when you are considering moving locations is Trulia Local . There is an interactive map you can use on here that will estimate your commute time from a certain area or a specific address. There are also real estate prices so that you can see what is available and how much real estate prices are in different areas that you are considering.
Web Reference:  http://www.trulia.com/local/