Home Buying in Portland>Question Details

JAHSama, Home Buyer in Portland, OR

My husband & I had a ch 7 discharged 3 yrs ago. Any tips on a mortgage lender?

Asked by JAHSama, Portland, OR Thu Aug 30, 2012

We make a combined gross monthly income of $5000. We are looking at a house listed at $139,000. Court discharged in June, 2009.

Answers

8
As an ex 29 year mortgage company owner, my advice is to steer clear from Wells Fargo and BofA and interview several local mortgage brokers/bankers. I worked for both of those banks and was apalled. I do not mind saying so in public forum.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 15, 2012
I would contact a local mortgage broker in your area, and they will be able to answer your questions and address your concerns.
Best of Luck
Rod
If you give me a call, I can take a look at your situation at no charge. I maybe able to help. 503-810-3571.
The FHA loan is probably going to be your best option. Feel free to call me if you have more questions. It never hurts to get a couple quotes and if you use a local lender that is accessible you will be more comfortable with the whole loan process.
Sounds like you are ready to buy a home! Contact Chase Holestine at Umpqua Bank (503) 915-2630 or chaseholestine@umpquabank.com. Umpqua is a local bank and my clients rave about the service provided by Chase!
Facts from FHA website:
At least two years must have elapsed since the discharge date of the borrower and / or spouse's Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, according to FHA guidelines. This is not to be confused with the bankruptcy filing date. A full explanation will be required with the loan application. In order to qualify for an FHA loan, the borrower must qualify financially, have re-established good credit, and have a stable job.

I think you will find FHA loans easier to obtain and with less money down...yes, there is PMI, but not forever.
Carl Heldmann
You can read more on:
http://www.byoh.com/low-down-payment-mortgage.htm
Ed Eilertsen at NW Mortgage Group is working with one of my buyers in exactly the same situation. Their anniversary date was 8/12 and as of tonight we have a signed agreement. Call Ed at 503-452-0001. Tell him I sent you.
You need 4 years for most lenders in order for them to sell it later. If you want to try and get a loan now, you will need to find a lender that holds their own loans rather than sells them. Washington Federal does here in the PNW.