My husand and I are thinking of purchasing a vacation home in southwest Florida. Are there death taxes? if one of us dies, is the Canadian will valid?

Asked by Angela Florio, Outside U.S. Wed Jan 19, 2011

I would be interested to know if it is advisable to have the property in our names or just put the title in my children's name as they will inherit anyway. I would prefer to have title in my husband and my name but am not sure of what the Estate taxes and rules are with regards Canadians and Canadian Wills and Power of Attorney.
Thank you. A

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Ligia Guzman…, , Weston, FL
Sat Jan 29, 2011
Hi Angela,

It is advisable to consult an attorney in regards purchasing property in Florida. Please contact me at if you have any questions regarding the current market and price ranges in the area you are looking to buy.

Ligia Guzman Chacon, AHWD®,SFR
Esslinger Wooten Maxwell, Inc., Realtors
C 954-540-3624
Web Reference:
0 votes
Pat & Steve…, Agent, Westlake, OH
Wed Jan 19, 2011
You should consult with two attornies regarding your question, both your attorney in Canada and an attorney who practices law in Florida. That said, one never knows when when the laws in which you are interested may change.
0 votes
Sedat Celik, Agent, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Wed Jan 19, 2011
Please consult an attorney or tax professional to find the best way to handle this issue. Everyone here deals with buying and selling real estate only.

Sedat Celik
0 votes
Nancy Doyle, Agent, Cape Coral, FL
Wed Jan 19, 2011
Hello Angelo,
I have worked with many Canadians here. I would think this question is better for an attorney or accountant. I have had two recent clients from Canada look into this. If you would like I could put you in touch with who they consulted with. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Have a great day,

Nancy Doyle
0 votes
Magda Robles, Agent, Weston, FL
Wed Jan 19, 2011
Dear Angela,

The question you are asking is better if asked to an Attorney. We are not trained to be a paralegal either and one should not advise in legal matters.

Herewith the name of a very trusted attorney in our South Forida area. They also have a Title Company and offer great services.
Michael H. Merino, P.A.
954-791-3010 -

May you need further information and assistance, dont hesitate to contact me.
Magda Robles
Web Reference:
0 votes
Mott Marvin…, Agent, Sunny Isles Beach, FL
Wed Jan 19, 2011
Angelina, In life there are no guarantees except for death and taxes.... So I wouls be inclined to say yes.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more