My home sold in one week. The D'Amore agency got a nice commission as the only realtor involved. I never heard from my realtor again.

Asked by goldens4, Winsted, CT Sun Nov 25, 2012

Past experience with realtors...they acknowledge your business with a thank you card or a box of chocolates....something. You don't burn your bridges behind you in real estate.

Answers

9
Debra (Debbie) Rose’s answer
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Sun Nov 25, 2012
Not to sound rude, but, following the closing...did you thank them for a job well done?
They received the agreed-to commission for getting the job done.
Fortunately for you, the "job" was completed quickly.

It was a business relationship - the business part is concluded.

It probably would have been goodwill to send/give you a gift of some sort, as many agents do, but is that really how you will judge their performance?

A box of chocolates would have made a difference in your opinion of them?
Anita Panaga…, Agent, Danielson, CT
Sun Nov 25, 2012
Congratulations on the sale of your home! I too am a REALTOR here in Winsted. Always glad to hear of successful sales .
Call your agent and you thank him for a job well done...shocked? Sometimes we all need to be reminded that we are all people at the end of the day.. business.. real estate is about the job getting done,folks meeting each others expectations..and w the push for more cyber work and less personal touch ; feelings are pushed aside

Lead by example.. they may need a reminder .. Hope you are enjoying your new home..stay warm. :-)
Keith & Kins…, Agent, Verona, WI
Sun Nov 25, 2012
Are you complaining that you didn't get a box of chocolates after your agent sold your home in a week!?!? You should be thankful at the work this agency did to get your home sold so quickly. You would have paid them the same whether it took 1 week or one year to sell. So, do you wish it took a year so that you felt like you got your moneys worth? haha. I'm just giving you a hard time and making you think about the perspective a bit.

On the other hand, yes it's amazing how poor some agents are with thank you's follow up, and overall client relations. The agents that do this well, are the ones that succeed and get the referrals for many years to come.
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Sun Nov 25, 2012
Congratulations on a quick sale in this challenging market!

But - have they heard from you? What was more important in your life, Goldens4 - that you got your home sold in one week, or that the brokerage got paid?
debsvalleyho…, Home Buyer, East Haven, CT
Sun Jul 14, 2013
Selling your home in one week, may indicate is was priced too low....Unless you were happy with the price :D
Carey Budnick, Agent, GOSHEN, CT
Tue Nov 27, 2012
True. Your consolation though is an extraordinary quick sale in a slow market. Did you let the agent know how you felt? Maybe it was an unintentional oversight....
Web Reference:  http://Careyallan.com
Justin Mayo, Agent, Farmington, CT
Sun Nov 25, 2012
How much time has passed since the sale? While I agree with what others have said, in that you should really judge them based on the results, I do also agree with you that post closing thank yous and follow-ups are good practice and common courtesy. Unfortunately, common courtesy can be lacking from many aspects of our lives these days, and this can be true on all sides of a real estate transaction. If it hasn't been too long since the sale, maybe they'll reach out to you in another way, aside from a closing gift.

If I were you, I'd place the most importance on their overall performance. They obviously got the home sold quickly, so how did you feel about them in terms of communication, professionalism, knowledge, etc? If you were happy with all of this, and certainly you are happy with the results, I wouldn't place much importance on anything else.
Terri Vellios, Agent, Campbell, CA
Sun Nov 25, 2012
What would you like? Would you like to use them again? Do you feel they did the job you hired them to do?

I know on the Buyer side, most agents give a closing gift. On the sell side that may not happen. A follow up would be nice. Only you can decide if that affects whether you would use or recommend them in the future.
Web Reference:  http://www.terrivellios.com
Jim Olive, Agent, Key West, FL
Sun Nov 25, 2012
Though it is inexcusable to forget to say thank you, with the busy lives we all live these days (not just real estate agents), it is not uncommon to let many of the things we SHOULD DO slip through the cracks. You do have the consolation of a great job selling your home quickly though...