My home inspection turned up a number of significant defects in the house. I would like to void the contract on the home inspection contingency.

Asked by Dchomebuyer, Washington Wed Mar 3, 2010

Can I simply ask the realtor to void the contract? Or do I have to fill out a specific form?

Answers

9
Richard Schu…, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Wed Mar 3, 2010
Speak to your agent right away. In most areas, this is not a problem - but check with your real estate agent for specifics. Note you will want to do this right away, as you may have a certain contingency period in which to do so, before you lose your deposit. But don't worry, just contact your agent right away about this and you should be able to get it sorted out.

However, did you also know that it is possible to ask for credits back from the seller after the inspection? I have gotten clients tens of thousands of dollars back because the inspection turned up certain defects. Talk to your agent about this possibility too.

Richard Schulman
Keller Williams Real Estate
Jirius Isaac, Agent, Kenmore, WA
Wed Mar 3, 2010
Assuming you have an agent like you said, all you have to do is sign the form 35R saying you want out of the contract and the deal is void. I am a little confused as to why your agent is just not taking care of this for you and you felt the need to go outside that relationship for questions. Let me know if you need better representation for your next purchase.
Tonya Brobeck, , Everett, WA
Wed Mar 3, 2010
Hi Dchomebuyer,

Thats no fun, bummer and sorry to hear. Good news is, there are a lot of homes on the market right now, which means plenty to choose from....

Depending on how your offer was written you should have an out. Did you have a Form 35 (top left hand corner) of your Purchase & Sale contract? If you did, your agent & you simply need to respond with a Form 35R notifiying the seller that you do not approve of the inspection. Check with your agent and confirm this of course and then there is a recission form your agent and you will need to send through.
John Juarez, Agent, Fremont, CA
Wed Mar 3, 2010
My guess is that Dchomebuyer is buying in D. C.

My second guess is that he should be talking to his agent about this question and not shooting it off into cyberspace.

Dchomebuyer, if you don’t have an agent, you need one. If you can’t see that, there is nothing that I can say that can help you.
Tonya Brobeck, , Everett, WA
Wed Mar 3, 2010
Good point Kary...I did wonder the same thing
Kary Krismer, Agent, Renton, WA
Wed Mar 3, 2010
BTW, I'm not assuming that this buyer is in Washington state. Many people from DC mistakenly pick Washington, and most buyers select a city if they really mean Washington State.
Kary Krismer, Agent, Renton, WA
Wed Mar 3, 2010
Jirius and Tonya, I'm assuming the agent referred to is the listing agent, and that the buyer is unrepresented.
Kary Krismer, Agent, Renton, WA
Wed Mar 3, 2010
Are you really attempting to purchase a home without the aid of either an agent or an attorney? Based on your question it's pretty clear you need such aid. This is a rather basic issue.

Unfortunately this post is clearly asking for legal advice, and that's something I'm not willing to do in this instance. There's no way to provide a general answer to such a specific question. Good luck to you and in the future I suggest you hire either an agent or an attorney to assist you in this and further house transaction matters. Keep in mind though that you probably have a short deadline to take the action you need to take.
Jerry Van Pe…, , Plano, TX
Wed Mar 3, 2010
Contact your agent and have them prepare the form to void the contract. This should be easy to do.