Home Buying in Stanton>Question Details

Nessam86, Home Buyer in Stanton, CA

My grandma's dad died and her house was in her fathers name. My grandma has 7 siblings. How can she get the house in her name. She bought it.

Asked by Nessam86, Stanton, CA Mon Sep 27, 2010

Answers

9
There is not enough info here to be sure that we are giving you the correct advice. Your best bet is to talk with a Probate Attorney. I realize that this is not a Probate but that type of attorney deals with this stuff all day long. If you still need help please call or message me directly and I will provide you with an attorneys name and contact info that I use on a regular basis.

Alex Montelongo/Broker
Coldwell Banker Star Realty
562-810-7387 Cell
BRE Lic #01456982
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 30, 2015
Hi Alex, I just started working on this issue again. My Grandmas dad died in 1963 would the house still have to go through probate?
Flag Thu Jun 11, 2015
Hi, I am not an attorney but if ishe bought it from her father, there should have been some sort of transfer of title, thus the title should be in her name. is there a reason why the title is not in her name? I would recommend calling a title company and getting a prelim on the ownership of the house. if indeed the title is not in your grandmother's name and she legally bought it, i would call an attorney who is knowledgable in real estate transaction law.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 27, 2010
The 7 siblings will have to sign off on it, if your grandma purchase the home and never filed the deed. Consult a local attorney and fast.
Unless all 7 siblings agree that your mother can be transferred to her name (which is what we did in our family); if there shall be any conflict among them; then the best thing for her to do is to consult with an attorney and get legal advise on how to proceed.

Sylvia
Sylvia Barry,…, Real Estate Pro in Marin, CA
If she bought it then she should have title to the property?? If she does not have title to the property, then perhaps she never bought it? You need to check with county recorder about who is currently vested on title. Please consult a real estate attorney for further directions.....
Nessam -

I think what you are saying is that your great grandfather (your grandmother's father) bought a house and your grandother paid the mortgage. Throughout the entire time of ownership your great grandfather never added your grandmother (or anyone else) to the deed - nor did he specify in a will that your grandmother would solely inherit the property.

I think your great grandfather, by NOT doing anything, left the property to all of his children.

I am not an attorney and this should not be taken as legal advice - Please seek legal counsel.

Best of luck,

Thom Colby
Broker / Owner & Certified HAFA Specialist
Thom Colby Properties
Newport Beach, CA
Moving Lives Forward (TM)
We NEVER DOUBLE-END Transactions in our Brokerage. There is NO benefit to the Seller or Buyer and only benefits the Agent. Also, NEVER use your RE Agent / Broker as your Lender or vice versa. Also, be careful when using Real Estate Broker-owned Escrow and Title Companies - they can be loads of trouble.
888-391-5245 Direct Cell
THOM@THOMCOLBY.COM
DRE# 01398570
Without too many details--consider consulting with an attorney, he/she will be your best source of advice.
If her name is not on the deed or she is not given the house in the Will, it may not matter whether she paid for the house or not. She needs to talk to an attorney who can sort out the Will, deed, title, and properly advise her of any rights she might have to this property beyond those of her other siblings.
thanks Joseph. The thing is that my grandmas dad bought the house in his name and my grandma paid it but then he died and they never got the chance to trasfer it to her. it has been 40years plus and still is under her dads name. Everybody keeps telling me that now all the siblings have the right to the house and that she has to buy them out.