My friend recommended of friend of his who is agent. I am not happy with her service. How do I go about finding someone new?

Asked by new home buyer, Wheeling, IL Fri Oct 28, 2011

Answers

15
John Walin, Agent, Libertyville, IL
Fri Oct 28, 2011
Stephanie

Sometimes it is best to not have a family member or friend represent us in a transaction. This is a business relationship based on trust and appropriate professional distance. Analogy, not a good idea to use your ex-husband's brother in law to represent you in a complex divorce matter.

As to your specific question, phone interview five agents, and pick an agent you trust. If you don't like that agent, easy enough to find another! Whomever you choose, be upfront about what you are looking for, preferred mode of contact, followup frequency expectations. Some people want only positive feedback or calls when an offer comes in. Others want text messages or phone calls after every showing. Be clear whomever you decide to work with.

Last point, you didn't indicate if you are obliged under a listing agreement, trying to sell a house or buying. You need to familiarize yourself with the listing agreement you signed and look for penalty and notice provisions required. Most listing agreements have some teeth to them. Most agents dont want to force you to stay with them if you are not happy. Read your document set, and talk to your agent about changing offices.

As for selection criteria, you must realize that some agents have 50 listings and spread thin with hired assistants handling all the details. Other agents haven't sold anything all year and are not in the active practice of real estate. My suggestion is to go with a full time, intermediate volume agent that can provide you with personalized service and attention to detail. Like me! Call me if you care to discuss the matter.

If you like mt answer, best answer and thumbs up me. I am very active here on Trulia with the pro designation.

John Walin
847 276-0120
John Walin, Agent, Libertyville, IL
Tue Dec 6, 2011
Stephanie

John Walin
847 276-0120
John Walin, Agent, Libertyville, IL
Tue Dec 6, 2011
Stephanie

John Walin
847 276-0120
Kathy Diegel, Agent, Elgin, IL
Fri Oct 28, 2011
Hi Stephanie,

When interviewing a new agent you should look for someone who knows your town very well and has sold many homes in that area. The Peggy Cobrin Team knows Buffalo Grove/Wheeling very well and has sold hundreds of homes in that area with great success. We have many references of clients who are very happy with our service. We answer our phones 24/7 and try to make the whole process as seamless as possible for our client. We have 5 people on our team that would love to show you what good service really is.

Call Peggy Cobrin 847-791-1213 or email at peggy.cobrin@cbexchange.com to set up an appt to meet you at whatever time is convenient for you (of course we work nights and weekends too).

Kathy Diegel
The Peggy Cobrin Team
http://www.PeggyCobrin.com
Web Reference:  http://www.PeggyCobrin.com
Suzanne Hami…, Agent, Orland Park, IL
Fri Oct 28, 2011
Service is key and you have to be comfortable. There are a couple of things. If you have a buyer or listing agreement, you need to fulfull the term of the agreement or request cancellation in writing from the agent's broker stating your reasons. These are bilteral agreements until expiration, so the broker can ask to have you interview a few other agents at that brokerage to fulfill the term of the agreement. Not a bad idea. I would definately interview a few agents either way. You want responsiveness and service foremost, but you also need someone you gel with and who knows what they are doing. Interview a few even over the phone and ask specific questions. If you don't have the agreement, please tell the other agent you are moving on. It is often uncomfortable, but it is the right thing to do. Whatever their missteps, if they gave you the time and effort at some point, they deserve to be told even via email, so they don't waste time and effort on your case for nothing.
Caroline York, Agent, St Petersburg, FL
Fri Oct 28, 2011
If this does not involve a contract between you and an agent then explain to your friend that although you find the agent to be very nice you have decided to also speak to another agent just to see what they have to offer. Every agent is different. Since you are buying in Buffalot Grove see if you can find a Realtor with an Accredited Buyers Representative designation (ABR). We have quite a bit more to bring to a buyer as to resources and training and thay may be what you need. You can go to http://rebac.net/homebuyer_resources.cfm and find an ABR Realtor in your area.
David Mezo, Agent, Nixa, MO
Fri Oct 28, 2011
If you do not have an employment contract then just communicate with the agent that you would like to end the relationship that is unless the agent is the procuring cause for a property you want to close on. If you have a contract, ask to be released or ask if the agent has a team member that may be compatible.
coleen greni…, Agent, Barrington, IL
Fri Oct 28, 2011
Hi Stephanie,
Yes, if your not happy definately state your reasons why. As you know there are alot of agents out their and you want someone you trust and who understands your wants, needs, and your time. Just as if you were not happy with a meal in a fine restaurant, I would hope you would say something to the chef and probably even send it back or not pay for it. You are making one of the biggest investments of your lifetime and it should be handled that way. I'd love to help any way I can. I myself use to live in Buffalo Grove. Call or write anytime that's best for you and thanks for asking!
Coleen
Christopher…, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Fri Oct 28, 2011
Hi, If you feel you have given the agent a fair chance and need to change, have a conversation with them explaining why. This way in the future they can correct mistakes they made and do a better job if that's the case. If you have a written agreement with the agent, read the language to see what course you need to take to dissolve the relationship.

Chris
Web Reference:  http://raveis.com/chrispagli
Steven Goodm…, Agent, Buffalo Grove, IL
Fri Oct 28, 2011
The best way would be to either ask other friends or go to some websites and register and see who calls you back. An important question to ask of the agent is are they full time or part time, and when can I call you? If they answer anything less then full time and any reasonable hour then they might not be the agent for you
Marilyn Smith, Agent, Long Grove, IL
Fri Oct 28, 2011
Hi Stephanie

Try to talk with an agent that is quick to respond and is familiar with the area. I am from Coldwell Banker In Buffalo Grove and I work with The Sharron Kelley Team and we have over 25 years of experience in the area. I specialize with buyers and love to work with 1st time buyers. Feel free to call me and discuss your needs.
The Michael…, Agent, Gurnee, IL
Fri Oct 28, 2011
A Great question. How does a member of the public find a good Realtor? If you use someone recommended by a friend they might have done well on the friend's transaction but that doesn't ensure they'll do well for you. You want someone who has closed many successful transactions recently in the market area you are interested in. Ask anyone you are interested in to provide you with a "one line" printout from the Multiple Listing Service showing their closed transactions for the last two years. That will show the cities and the price ranges they have worked in.
The only agent I know without researching it that does very well in Buffalo Grove is Barb Hibnick. She not only sells but teaches training sessions to other Realtors in the company. If you want to check her out you can reach her at Barb@BarbH.com. If you get other recommendations be sure to ask for proof of their sales, then talk to them and see if you're comfortable with their personal style. Good Luck.
Evan Kane, Agent, Highland Park, IL
Fri Oct 28, 2011
Zillow has a agent ranking system, you might try that. http://www.zillow.com/profile/RealtyFreak/
Peter Kedzior, Agent, Elk Grove Village, IL
Fri Oct 28, 2011
Each professional has a field of expertise. Doctors, attorneys, educators - all of them know more about certain aspects of their trade than about others. I recommend that you first determine what type of property you are interested in buying (condo/townhouse, residential/investment, short sale, foreclosure etc.) and then find a Realtor who specializes in this field. It also helps if he or she had some deals in the area that you are looking in.
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Fri Oct 28, 2011
We have a lot of concientious Realtors on Trulia:
You can search by City and look up their Answers and Blogs; you will learn a lot about them before you approach them.
There should be RECOMMENDATIONS and REFERRALS from Clients and other Agents.
There will be a PROFILE about them.
You can e-mail them and ask them questions.

That's why we're here; we like to help people, but we're looking for Clients too.

Good luck and may God bless