My family will be relocating to Boston area during the Summer of 2011. When should we start looking to buy a house?

Asked by Diana, Boston, MA Sat May 1, 2010

We need to be settled in by August, 2011. We are looking in the Western suburbs (around Dover/Westwood area) for a home around $700,000.

Answers

10
, ,
Sun May 2, 2010
hi Diana, congratulations on your pending home purchase and also on your early preparation. The other professionals here have given you very good advice, and I thought I would share some of my thoughts. First, the advice you have received about getting to know the Boston area, as well as familiarizing yourself with the housing market (if you are not local now) is great.
I would also suggest you familiarize yourself with the mortgage market, especially your own ability to qualify for a great mortgage by having a good loan officer review your credit and discuss your mortgage options. I probably do not have to tell you the mortgage market has been changing rapidly over the last two or three years, and the more you know and understand, the less likely you are to have issues when you are ready to purchase. In most cases, the first question you will hear from a great real estate agent is "how much home can you afford?" and the second is "are you pre-approved for your mortgage?" Being able to answer these questions positively and with real figures will get you out searching for your new dream home that much sooner. Most mortgage professionals will cover all you wish to know without charge or obligation or a small credit report fee. With a year to work with, any potential issues should be able to be addressed, preventing mortgage issues or qualification issues from slowing you down.
In terms of when you should actually begin looking at potenial homes, I would think late winter 2011. Fell free to give Home Savings of America a call, we are happy to help home buyers understand the mortgage market and be prepared...Good Luck!!! Jim Ryan, HSOA, 703 591 5626 ext 419.
Heidi Zizza, Agent, Framingham, MA
Mon May 3, 2010
Diana, you should at least start online looking to begin with. With online searches you will be able to get an idea of what homes sell for and how much taxes are Massachusetts.You should make a visit over the Summer and definitely familiarize yourself with these areas. Dover is a lovely town but also a bedroom community while Westwood is a little more cosmpopolitan with lots of shopping etc and a close commute to Route 1. It will really depend what kind of community you prefer and where you and your family need to commute to.
Web Reference:  http://www.mdmrealtyinc.com
Deborah Feld…, Agent, Framingham, MA
Sun May 2, 2010
Hi Diana,

As a Realtor that works with relocation clients often, I recommend that you visit in the next few months to get a better understanding of the areas you are considering. You have identified Dover and Westwood as towns that you are interested in, but there are a number of communities that surround those towns that may prove to be wonderful for you and your family to move to.

Your first visit should be a tour of several towns so that you can get a feel for the communities that you are considering. You should see a few homes in each town to get educated on what your target purchase price affords you. Once both you and your Realtor have identified a search criteria for location and type of home, you can be set up on Multiple Listing Service (MLS) so that you can begin to get an idea of what is on the market and what homes are selling for.

Please feel free to contact me so that we can discuss your upcoming move and a strategy that will work for you.

Deb Feldman
Hammond Residential
508-277-3596
, ,
Sun May 2, 2010
Hi...is it just me, or do others find it unsettling, unseemly, or just super pretentious writing about yourself in the third person? Perhaps its a Nashville thing. Jim, smiling.
Mary Crane, Agent, Dover, MA
Sun May 2, 2010
Hi Diana,
I recommend your search begin now on the MLS with several visits to those towns to familiarize yourself with the streets and local market. My website http://www.MaryCraneProperties.com has a MLS Property Finder you can sign into and manage yourself. I specialize in those areas would be more than happy to help you!
Thank you, Mary Crane 1-617-413-2879.
Judy Boyle, Agent, Marlborough, MA
Sun May 2, 2010
Hi Diana,

When I think back to when I was planning my wedding, many years ago, I thought 18 months was a long time! Boy, was I wrong!

While the details of planning a wedding are quite different than planning a relocation, proper planning and having the right team working for you will make all the difference. The fact that you are posting here on Trulia NOW demonstrates your commitment to make this a positive and (hopefully) stress-free process.

For now, a few obvious questions come to mind:

1.) What will the market be like in a year's time and how far will $700,000 go in your desired towns?

2.) How many times...and when... over the next 15 months will you be able to physically visit the Boston area to view the homes and tour the towns you have been researching on the Internet?

3.) Who will be your point of contact....in essence, whom will you entrust to be your eyes and ears...here in the Boston area...to navigate the whole process?

While you cannot control #1, you absolutely can control #2 and #3. I would recommend you work on finding the answers to those two questions now. From there, once you have a plan....and a Relocation Specialist in place.....#1 and everything else will fall into place!!!!

Judy Boyle
RE/MAX Signature Properties
judyboyle1@verizon.net
508-561-7164
Territory.c…, Agent, MA,
Tue May 4, 2010
Look online now, and then start checking out open houses in early winter, 2011 and then you can start getting serious in the spring of 2011.

Good luck!!

http://www.territoryre.com
Web Reference:  http://territoryre.com
Matthew Heis…, Agent, Westborough, MA
Sun May 2, 2010
Diana:

When you start looking really depends on how wide a net you intend to cast, and what your priorities you have in finding a location and home that works for you. For example, if you know Dover is a top choice, well, there's only 3 homes on the market in your price range, so it won't take very long to analyze that particular component of your decision! (Dover is very small and generally considered expensive, relative to MA prices). Some folks when the relocate look over a much wider area, and it takes time to whittle it down to a set of towns that have the features, commute, and home in their available budget. There's no right way to do it, there are many suitable locations in MA for each need and desire of the people involved.

Matt Heisler is a real-estate professional and owner of Heisler & Mattson Properties. He has been selling residential real-estate for over 10 years. He has given several talks on real estate, including presentations on first-time buyer tips & tricks, and profiting in real estate investing in Massachusetts. As a Vanderbilt University alumnus, he is proud to serve the communities of Natick, Framingham, Medfield, Millis, Holliston, Hopkinton, Southborough, Westborough, Northborough, Grafton, Marlborough, Shrewsbury, Worcester, Milford, Charlton, Northbridge, Sutton, Hudson, Sudbury, Clinton, Boylston, and West Boylston. His company website can be found at http://www.bjheisler.com, and his Metrowest Blog can be read at http://HomeSellingInMass.net.

*All information is posted in good faith and is assumed to be reliable, but may rely on third party information sources.
Dru Akins, Agent, Roxbury, MA
Sat May 1, 2010
Even though it seems along time from now, we could narrow down the type of home that you are looking for. I could also send you emails of what is on the market now. Dru Akins located in Roslindale MA. 617-942-2611
Dru Akins, Agent, Roxbury, MA
Sat May 1, 2010
Hello Diana,
Now is a good time to start looking for a home. Due to the fact that it may take awhile to find exactly what you and your family are looking for. Please give me a call at 617-406-8019 or email me at DAkins@OldeBostonianRealty.com. I would be happy to assist you.