My family will be moving to AZ. What are good areas?

Asked by Querida S, Riverdale, IL Sun May 17, 2009

I currently work for T-Mobile (corporate). We have 2 children (9 & 5). I noticed that there are lots of corporate stores in Phoenix, Tucson, and Mesa. Financing will not be a problem, Are concerns are location, schools and travel time for me getting to work and school for my husband. I would like to transfer to a high volume area with good demographics. And the school my husband wants to attend is in Scottsdale,AZ.. What areas do you suggest?

Answers

33
Georgia_ferg…, Renter, New York, NY
Sat Sep 24, 2016
We are relocating to Phoenix Arizona in 1 1/2 years. We are a senior couple raising a teen with a cognitive disorder. We are seeing an area, low crime, close to school, pet friendly and near public transit. We both drive one of us is still working so public transportation is a must. We are more interested in renting either house or 2-3 bedroom apartment, not opposed to lease option to buy.
I have been on line looking but most rental advertisements show within a mile of a location crime stats and they appear to be high. Moderate income area in a neighborhood setting, selling my home to relocate and would like to be in a similar living environment.

We will be coming down in January to visit, familiarize ourselves with the general area and will make additional visits prior to relocating. Any information in aiding us in our move would be greatly appreciated.
Tim O'Neall, Other Pro, Phoenix, AZ
Wed Jan 9, 2013
My family and I also live in the Ahwatukee area of Phoenix. We have been here for 17 years and love the neighborhoods, schools, shopping areas and restaurants. We live in the foothills of South Mountain with hundreds of hiking and biking trails. Not a far commute from Scottsdale, depending on how far North your husband needs to travel.
mirandajclb, , Phoenix, AZ
Sat Jan 5, 2013
N Scottsdale. Cherokee elementary school. Paradise valley.
JUDY BERG…, , Phoenix, AZ
Thu Dec 31, 2009
With family and you want good demographics, I would say Chandler, Gilbert and Ahwatukee(Phoenix).
Top rated schools, high income level and high educational level.
You mentioned that your husband wanted to go to school in Scottsdale, what school would that be?
Of course Scottsdale is a nice area. If you want newer you need to go to more North. Several areas with good schools too. Access to freeways etc usally not as good.
Depending on what area you choose, will depend on how much home you get and the age of home.
I have over 20 years experince in the Valley.
Feel free to call me at 602-818-4465
Good luck to you, Judy
UNITED BROKER'S GROUP
Web Reference:  http://WWW.JUDYBERG.COM
Melanie John…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Sun Dec 20, 2009
Pcoon,

A really useful source to check out how schools rank in Arizona is schooldigger.com. It might help you narrow down where you'd like to live. If you find a school that looks interesting, I would be happy to send you well-priced home listings nearby.

Here is the high school ranking link: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/AZ/schoolrank.aspx

Click on "1." and select "high schools" instead. Find your husband's workplace on the map and see how it relates to the locations of your favorite schools.

Best of luck!
Melanie Johnston
scottsdaledealfinder.com
Pcoon, Home Buyer, Chandler Ginning, Gilbert, AZ
Sun Dec 20, 2009
My husband and I are moving from upstate NY we have two 16 year olds who are Jr. in high school my husband will be working in Phoenix our high school does block scheudling which is not heard of in AZ we are wondering where is the best schhol and not a long comute for my husband any thoughts wwold be helpful.
Pam Eagan, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Mon Dec 14, 2009
The Ahwatukee Foothills is a great place to raise your children. I moved here almost 30 years ago and it has become my childrens home town ! The schools are excellent , we have "everything" and we are close to the airport !
Do check "us" out. I'm certain that you will be glad that you did.
Pam
Azrentalhome…, , Phoenix, AZ
Wed Dec 9, 2009
PhoenixBankOwned.com offers free school, area & demographics reports along with access to all MLS listings.

I would suggest Mesa, Chandler, Scottsdale and the north east Phoenix area (desert ridge).

Feel free to contact us through our website if we can be of help.
Web Reference:  http://www.azrentalhomes.com
Richard Bazi…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Thu Oct 29, 2009
I have a full guide of the entire Phoenix Valley about life in the southwest that I can send you by email or by CD or USB stick that will tell you about each area of the valley, the schools, retail, communtes, the roads and commute, ect... and answer your questions at your own pace in your own home without anyone trying to pressure you or 'sell' you into a specific area for whatever reasons. if you connect with me, I'd be delighted to send it to you for your review - yours to keep. I also have a web site that tells you all about the schools, their ratings, locations and which areas they serve.

Moving to the Phoenix Valley is a lifestyle decision more than a location decision. I'd be delighted to explain that as well.
Blazenka Diz…, , Tucson Green Valley, Sahuarita, AZ
Thu Oct 29, 2009
Dear Querida,

I would love to help you, but you will have to do some research on your own.All I could do is to recomend you several websources where you could look-up that information. Your questions conflict rules and regulations of Fair Housing Law and I am licensed Real Estate broker. If you need help with links,please feel free to contact me via e-mail.
Donald Coats…, , Scottsdale, AZ
Tue Sep 29, 2009
I am a Real Estate Attorney and a licensed Realtor. I live in North Scottsdale with my wife and three children. I would be interested in talking to you a little more before making any quick recommendations regarding areas and schools(budget, private or public schools...). If you are not currently being represented, please e-mail or call so I can understand your needs a little better. 480-612-5887 or e-mail me donniecoats@coatslaw.net
Jeffrey Masi…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Wed Sep 23, 2009
Hi, I am a T-Mobile user myself. Scottsale, Paradise Valley and East Phoenix all meet your requirements. In the meantime take a look at my website to learn more about Arizona and what it has to offer at "Arizona Homes and Land" http://www.arizonahomesland.com. If I can be of further assistance please feel free to contact me. Welcome to Arizona!,,,,Jeff Masich, Realtor jmasich@usa.com 602-774-4712
Prglendale R…, , Glendale, AZ
Tue Sep 22, 2009
Deer Valley Unified School District is a sought out district for A+ schools. You might want to look into Arrowhead (Glendale) area as it is close to the 101, has great shopping and is convenient for commuting. Also the Peoria school district is another area to look at. I am not a realtor just live in the NW valley and prefer it over some of the other areas that have been listed.
Ralph Bredahl, Agent, Sedona, AZ
Wed Sep 2, 2009
We are Arizona Realtors that specialize in the south east valley. Those are all legitimate questions but to give you good answers we would need to know a few more specifics. Our Web site is htttp://RalphandTricia.com and it contains the contact info needed to reach one of us.
We also would be glad to mail you a comprehensive relocation package at no obligation.
Web Reference:  http://RalphandTricia.com
Anna Blanco…, Both Buyer And Seller, Phoenix, AZ
Wed Sep 2, 2009
Also do not hesitate to view my website, I have many homes posted that you may browse through. I do specialize in the west valley of Phoenix. Cities I can assist you in would be Surprise, Goodyear, Litchfield Park, Buckeye, Avondale, Glendale, Peoria, Laveen. Let me know if you need any assistance.. Good Luck.
http://www.swvalleyhomes.com
Wed Sep 2, 2009
Hello Querida,

The first question I would ask you is this, What store will you be working out of and how much of a commute do you mind? Ironically my husband works for AT&T (corporate store) and was assigned a location near central Phoenix, but we live in Goodyear which is a city west of Phoenix. It is a 30-40 minute drive to work but he doesn't mind. We feel Goodyear is a nice quiet city to raise a family and it too has good schools. Property taxes are not as high as other areas, at the same time not the lowest. Just remember every city will have its pros and cons to everything. So I agree with the last agent, I recomment you contact a few realtors. Interview them and find someone you are comfortable working with. Let them know exactly what you are looking for as far as location, ammenities, schools, house, shopping etc... Good Luck and yes if you wish to contact me I would be more than happy to assist you.. Thanks, Anna Mongoy
Steven Mayna…, , Phoenix, AZ
Tue Sep 1, 2009
There are many good ares of Scottsdale. The key is going to convenience for work and school. The area around Camel back is nice because it is centrally located and close to a lot of great shopping and restaurants. My suggestion is to contact a Realtor and if you have not already been working with one I would be happy to assist you. I myself, relocated from the east and know the difficulties of relocating to an area without knowing the lay of the land. Please view my web site http://www.stevemaynard.com or email me at Smaynard@kw.com.

Steve
Melanie John…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Sun Aug 30, 2009
Querida,

There are so many bargains out there that you will have no trouble finding a great home at a great price, even in Scottsdale. People used to think they couldn't afford to live here, but Scottsdale has great opportunities now for nice, affordable homes.

Schools are an important part of your search, but equally important will be your commute. We have a great freeway network, but it could still take you 45 min to an hour to get from the West Valley (any city W of Phoenix) to your husband's school in Scottsdale. For that reason, I would recommend Scottsdale first—consider DC Ranch, Grayhawk and McDowell Mountain Ranch, all have nice family amenities. Then Tempe, Mesa. Stay east, if that fits your work location.

If you need a lot of room, you have hit the lottery because large two-story homes in Scottsdale offer some of the best price-per-square-foot bargains.

I have highlighted what I think are the best Scottsdale bargains on the market today at my site: http://www.scottsdaledealfinder.com. Check in from time to time as you plan your move and you'll start to notice neighborhoods that appeal to you.

Everyone who bought in the last few years wishes they were in your shoes now! Take advantage of this once-in-a-lfetime (we hope!) market correction and get in on the $8,000 tax credit if you haven't owned a home in the last 3 years. (Expires Nov. 30, but may be extended.)

Best of luck in your search!
Melanie Johnston
The Urban Te…, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Sat Aug 29, 2009
I just check the ARMLS roster and there is no agent named Bradly Jones on record in Scottsdale or anywhere else in the Arizona Multiple Listing service roster. So Bradly... who are you really?
Web Reference:  http://www.urbanteamaz.com
The Urban Te…, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Sat Aug 29, 2009
The Urban Te…, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Wed Aug 26, 2009
Wow Bradly... sorry you are so unhappy here. I hope you find a place you like one day.

As a real estate agent, I can not comment on areas do to demographics and crime... it's a fair housing thing. That said, there are many areas people enjoy. I believe it has to do with what activities you and enjoy, how long a commute time you want, price point of the home and such.

The school systems in Arizona are not noted as being strong. However, some districts do rank well. I like a site called Greatschools.org. They provide rankings and commentary for you to study. Paradise Valley, Scottsdale and Gilbert school districts often rank well.

I believe, on this site, you'll find real estate agents recommending a variety of locations and tout them with great fervor. The simple fact is... a great location is where you are comfortable and can develop friends and a sense of community.

I often recommend people come, hire a driver/ town car and have a tour of the various areas within a radius of the place you plan on working. The driver can tell you how long it will take you to get to work and you decide on what drive time is appropriate for your lifestyle... then start learning about that region.

A seasoned driver will also tell you a lot about the different areas and won't be trying to sell you anything. Once you've learned a bit first hand, you can look into choosing an agent who you connect with and has your best interests in mind.
Bradly Jones, , Scottsdale, AZ
Tue May 26, 2009
Move to the Phoenix, AZ area if you want to live in the 2nd worst kidnapping capital in the world. Also, the job market is "even weaker than in Detroit" says Lee McPheters, director of the JPMorgan Chase Economic Outlook Center at Arizona State University.
Stella Stell…, Home Buyer, Glendale, AZ
Sat May 23, 2009
I'm not an agent but I was born and raised in north Glendale even though currently I'm living in Italy.
I can tell you where to stay away from, anywhere south and definitely not downtown (unless you want to live in a highrise).
There are alot of nice places on the north side of the city in Phoenix and Glendale.
The Arrowhead area in Glendale or surprise is very nice and not that expensive.
If you're not worried about price I would mostly recommend Scottsdale or Paradise Valley.
Good luck...you're going to love it I'm sure! :)
Henry Scott, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Sun May 17, 2009
Phoenix and Tuscon are about a 100 miles apart. If your job takes you to the Phoenix area, you should give Scottsdale a serious look.

I recently moved here with my wife and 2-yr-old daughter. We love it, and feel very comfortable here. We've been checking into schools, and our favorite one is a private school, but that's another whole topic.

Good luck with your move.

Feel free to contact me if you need help with your home search.
Stew Keene, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Sun May 17, 2009
Querida,

Here are some links that will provide you with an abundance of information about the areas you might be interested in.

The Arizona Buyers Advisory is loaded with information and links for you to use. This link is an interactive guide where the links are live so you don't have to paste or type each one in to you browser.

http://www.aaronline.com/documents/buyer_advisory.aspx

Walkscore is a great tool to use to see what's near where you are going to live like the grocery store, gas station and so on.

http://www.walkscore.com/

I am also including a link to Desert Ridge which is North of the 101 freeway and close to everything you'll need without paying Scottsdale inflated values for a home.

http://www.desertridge.com/

Those are just a couple things you can use as you browse around the web looking for properties.

Remember also that the searches on the Internet don't always have the most current up to date information particularly for bank owned properties, so always use a Realtor to find those for you 1st where ever possible.

All The Best,

Stew Keene
Inspire Realty Group
2008-2009 Master of Real Estate Award
GRI, ABR, MRE, CNE, E Pro, AHWD
Scottsdale and North Phoenix Area Specialist
Scott Clayton, Agent, Tempe, AZ
Sun May 17, 2009
Querida,
I'm a former elementary school teacher so education is near and dear to my heart. Answering your question is best done on the phone, as there is so much to share about AZ. (I'm an AZ native.) Please give me a call and let's chat about your family's needs.

Scott
AZ's REBATE Realtor
480-216-8668
Web Reference:  http://www.cr-az.com
Mr.P, , Arizona
Sun May 17, 2009
Good Morning Querida,

I am big Fan of Gilbert AZ. Great community & schools.

However Tempe maybe a better central location for you and your Family. Now if you choose Tempe, you must look at the Lakes community.

The Lakes offer an 80 acre lake for boating, 3 schools ( Elementary, Jr High, & High School ) within a mile of the community, full clubhouse. The HOA fees are only $70. per month that includes everything. In my opinion the Lakes HOA board is one of the top ten best run, most to offer in the country...yes country.

The Lakes is an older community, so the landscaping is very lush, you will forget that you are in the desert.

Home prices range from 200K to over a million.

Here is a short Video about the LAKES
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rkh3f-C8jI&feature=playe…

At the time, the home featured in the Video was the least expensive. The Video is a little over a year old.
The homes are a Califorinian mission Viejo design, instead of the typical Southwest design.

I have extensive Videos, and pictures of homes and communities throughout the East Valley. I do not require a Buyer Broker agreement.

Let me know how I can help you

Patrick Mahony
Investor Trustee Services
480-543-9899

Disclaimer!!!!! I will provide professional timely service. You & your family determine what a "Good" neighborhood is.

Web Reference: http://www.AZRE.TV
Web Reference:  http://www.AZRE.TV
Shar Rundio, Agent, Mesa, AZ
Sun May 17, 2009
Querida,

With your children in mind (mine are 8 & 10), a helpful resource is: http://www.greatschools.net. You'll get some good information about the schools in the areas that you are considering and their ratings.

You mentioned that Mesa is one of the locations that has a lot of corporate locations for you...there are some nice communities in NE Mesa that would offer great schools, and easy freeway access along the 202 for your husband to head into Scottsdale.

As others have mentioned finding a great REALTOR who will ask the right questions and then listen to your needs and wants will be highly beneficial. Other things to think about include: do you have hobbies that you'd like to be easily accessible, what about age of the house, home owner's association, community feel...

If there is anything I can do to assist you, please feel free to call.

With Your Success in Mind,

Shar Rundio
Keller Williams Integrity First Realty
480.560.7255 (direct & text)

BTW, love T-Mobile (but so wish I could get an iphone!) :~)
Carlos Ramir…, Agent, Mesa, AZ
Sun May 17, 2009
Querida S,

Welcome to Arizona!

We can not tell you what area is best, but we can provide you with enough resources for you to make an informed decision. There are many areas in and around Scottsdale the will meet your needs, it will all depend on how long of a commute you are willing to have and other criteria. Scottsdale, Tempe and some sections of Phoenix seem to be a good match for you.

If you wish I can provide you with more detailed information regarding each area and a few listings so you can have an idea of what is available on each section.

Carlos J Ramirez, PC, ABR, CNE
Associate Broker, HomeSmart -
Web Reference:  http://www.SmartAZRealty.com
Stew Keene, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Sun May 17, 2009
Querida,

You are going to get a lot of "general answers" to your question about what "good areas" are to live in because Realtors are limited by their license as to what they can convey as a "good area" because of a little issue called "steering".

That being said, you should be communicating with an area specialist for Scottsdale and North Phoenix who can provide you with the answers you require.

What I can tell you is that I have vacationed here to Scottsdale and North Phoenix for nearly 25 years and lived here for the last 8 years as a Scottsdale resident, so I would be able to share with you my direct experience with the area but I don't choose to do too much of that here in a public forum open for debate with other Realtors.

I do have 2 areas in mind though that I believe would fit you both wonderfully.

Should you need more assistance I would welcome your contact.

Stew Keene
Inspire Realty Group
2008-2009 Master of Real Estate Award
GRI, ABR, MRE, CNE, E Pro, AHWD
Joyce Tawes, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Sun May 17, 2009
Hi - there are a number of wonderful areas in Scottsdale. One of the biggest determining factors is what you are budgeting for your home. If you want to learn facts and get the demographics information, email me with your address and I'll send you a copy of our Buyer's Advisory. It has links within the document to check out schools, crime, rate, etc. Also, the location of employment is key --- there are a few areas that always have high volume traffic during the normal working hours.

Welcome to Arizona!

Joyce Tawes
Arizona Realty ONE Group
(480) 209-7843
Email: jtawes@cox.net
Web Reference:  http://www.joycetawes.com
Lori Chasse, Agent, Glendale, AZ
Sun May 17, 2009
You really need to make a trip to explore and see where you would like to be. I'd be happy to send you information. Contact me thru my web site.
Web Reference:  Http://www.lorichasse.com
Richard Dobb…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Sun May 17, 2009
Querida, having lived in Illinois for 36 years, I can tell you that you are in for a change moving to Arizona. Regarding your question, there really isn't a straight forward answer because an area that may be good for some many not be as good for other. In other words, it all depends on your criteria. You should connect yourself with a real estate agent who knows the area then tour the areas of your choosing and make the final choice. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Rick Dobbles
Hello Richard.
I am also from Illinois and am considering relocating my family to Arizona. I have mixed feelings based on the comments that I have read. With all that is going on in Illinois, we really want to leave ASAP! Can you provide more insight?
Flag Fri Nov 1, 2013