My ex-husband owes in excess of $20,000 in back child support. I just found out he and his current wife

Asked by Cam0509, Sanger, CA Wed Jul 8, 2009

My ex-husband owes in excess of $20,000 in back child support. I just found out he and his current wife are buying a house in California and plan to take advantage of the $8000 federal tax credit and possibly the $10,000 California tax credit. Will any of these credits be used by the IRS or California FTB to pay the child support arrearages?

Answers

4
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Thu Jul 9, 2009
Cam
I would call your divorce attorney.

Nobody SHOULD be able to qualify for a mortgage owing child support.
Dana Schuster, Agent, Slidell, LA
Thu Jul 9, 2009
In my experience,if there is an outstanding judgment for child support(a government lien) the person will not even qualify for a mortgage.
Michael Emery, , Minneapolis, MN
Wed Jul 8, 2009
Follow the link to the California office that handles child support. If the department has notified the IRS that there is child support due, the IRS can withhold tax refunds. However since his wife doesn't owe the child support (just him) she may be able to claim her portion of the tax credit. But that is up to her to file the paperwork and make the claim.

I would certainly give the office a call to ensure you get what is owed to you.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Wed Jul 8, 2009
Cam,
This is undoubtedly a question best referred to your attorney for their advice.