My daughter is thinking of going to Western Carolina University and would like to buy a house near there with

Asked by Renee, Sarasota, FL Sun Jul 26, 2009

her fiance. I have a few questions: 1) what are the job prospects near there currently for a server in a restaurant and an auto mechanic? Could they find jobs quickly? 2) Is it practical to think that a owner/private financed non-modular, non-trailer type house can be found with an acre of more for around 100k or less? They are willing to do a lot of cosmetic work but nothing major (e.g., no structural issues, has to be livable). 3) She needs to qualify on her own, has good credit history and no problems. Will have about 15K or so to put down which is gifted (i.e., not saved on her own if that matters to the loan). Payments including taxes and insurance need to be down around $800/mo or less depending on what jobs they find. She would like to move within a few months.

Answers

9
Robin Nations, Agent, Sylva, NC
Fri Jan 14, 2011
Western Carolina University is a great school. I am a WCU graduate.
I have listed a house on Wilkesdale Street, MLS #42840. It is located above Bogart's. The asking price is $95K. It was built in 1984, has three bedrooms, one bath, and has a newer metal roof.
If you want to search our county's job prospects, you might want to look at http://www.ncesc.com. You must choose three counties, and Jackson, Haywood, Swain, and Macon have good prospects.
I am a broker with Jackson County Real Estate, and I would be glad to help you and your daughter.
Feel free to visit my website at http://www.jacksoncountyrealestate.biz
Please take a look at "Working With Real Estate Agents" and feel free to contact me if I can help you in any way.
Robin Nations
Jackson County Real Estate
http://www.jacksoncountyrealestate.biz
Wcu Alum Par…, Home Seller, Tallulah Falls, GA
Mon Sep 6, 2010
Check out 209 Cox Farm Road, Cullowhee. It is located 1 mile from the Ramsey Center entrance in Forest Hills. The 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath house has been used for 3 WCU students and has been updated and cleaned. There is also a small chalet-style cabin which has one bed and one full bath which has also been occupied by a WCU student. Great views from both house and cabin. Large mature trees, awesome views and proximity to college make for a prime property. Close to Jackson county airport. Mature blueberries, apples, grapes and blackberries produce delicious treats. This house has been perfect for WCU students because there is a large laundry room, dining area in living room as well as an eat-in country style kitchen. All new appliances as of 9-09. Original hardwood floors have been refinished and are beautiful. Brick and vinyl make for a low maintenance home.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/209-Cox-Far…
Marty Jones,…, , Cashiers, NC
Wed Jul 29, 2009
Hi Renee,

One of my agents just listed a home about 15 miles from campus. It's only $59,000. I know you would like to be closer, but at this price it might be worth a look. It would also put her about the same distance to the country clubs, etc., for employment. If you would like to shoot me an email to martyjones@remax.net, or give me a call at 1-828-421-4569, I would be happy to forward more information.

Marty Jones, CRS CRB
Broker/Owner
RE/MAX Summit Properties
828-421-4569
Wayne Palmer, , Highlands, NC
Tue Jul 28, 2009
Hi Renee,
1. The job market is tight here in Sylva as many businesses have closed their doors, and have created an excess of very qualified workers who are looking for work also. That being said, we have a Ryan's Steakhouse which would probably work.
2. As for the mechanic position, I would be glad to check for you tomorrow with those I know in town. Just let me know.
3. I also graduated from WCU many years ago, like Marty, have many contacts and friends who work at the university, and consider it to be a great choice for Nursing and Teaching careers. It has grown and continues to grow with the goal of 15,000+ undergraduates.
4. The likelihood of finding them a home with $100,000 will take some doing and researching. As Marty said, homes in this area are somewhat higher priced due to the university personnel, college students joining in groups to rent a home rather than living in the dorms, and demand in general because of the excellent area appeal.
5. It is not easy to enroll in WCU. They have had over 15,000 applications for 2,000 freshman slots for 2009. Average SAT scores are about 1300, which would easily get you into most other universities in the US.
6. If I may help, please call 828-506-6585 or email me at eddiepalmer@dnet.net.
7. If you come to the area, you probably will want to eventually retire here. We have COOOOL NIGHTS (63 degrees outside now) and usually mild days. Some homes on mountains in Cashiers/Highlands don't even need AC as there is always a breeze to cool at night.
8. Your daughter and son-in-law will be welcomed here and especially at my church.
9. My office is in Highlands, but I live in Sylva (37 years).
Marty Jones,…, , Cashiers, NC
Mon Jul 27, 2009
I understand, Renee. We can help you with Sylva as well if that's your preference. One of my best agents lives in Sylva and knows it well. You can contact me at 828-421-4569, or email at martyjones@remax.net, and I can get you Kathy's contact information. I'm sure we can make this happen for you.

Thanks again,

Marty Jones, CRS CRB
Owner/Broker
RE/MAX Summit Properties
828-421-4569
Renee, , Sarasota, FL
Mon Jul 27, 2009
Thanks Marty, Cashiers might be a bit too far from school in the Winter. I think they were looking for something closer like Sylva.
Marty Jones,…, , Cashiers, NC
Mon Jul 27, 2009
Marty Jones, CRS...
Broker
Cashiers, NC
Hi Renee,

I am a graduate of Western Carolina University and worked my way through school as it appears your daughter and her fiancee will. That was a long, long time ago. I stayed in the area and got into the real estate business about 24 years ago.

I think your daughter will find the employment opportunities to be greater in the Cashiers area, which is about 30 miles away. I know that I did. It is more of a tourist area, and restaurants and country clubs are always looking for help. I know when I was a student at Western, I couldn't find part time work in and around the campus.

Housing is a bit more expensive here, but with the soft market, I think we can find the owner financing you're looking for. Please give me a call at 1-828-421-4569, or shoot me an email at martyjones@remax.net, and I would be happy to investigate further.

Thanks and I hope to hear from you soon.

Marty Jones, CRS, CRB
Broker/Owner
RE/MAX Summit Properties
828-421-4569
Renee, , Sarasota, FL
Sun Jul 26, 2009
Thanks but I am hoping that she can do this on her own without my credit and credentials. With owner or private financing I hope she will be able to have it in her own name.
Bob McClure, Other Pro, Walled Lake, MI
Sun Jul 26, 2009
good evening renee......as long as your daughter is legally old enough to own a home in the target state, you can all purchase it together.....go fha., unless you are currently on an fha (you could also go conventional)....your credit and credentials in addition to her credit and credentials would form the math problem that would qualify you for something....3.5% down can come from you (parents)...and up to 6% of the price of the home can come from the seller as a credit against the closing costs and pre-paids...your daughter doesn't even need to work....but, she cannot have bad credit to do this... all she needs to do is to supply occupancy....the loan does require escrows and pmi, both an upfront charge and a small monthly charge...you would all be on the loan and the deed with joint rights of survivorship.....best of luck ..........bob mcclure- success mortgage partners- plymouth, michigan.....