My dad is looking for a home. He just retired, wants a home with a nice view and a nice size lot. Which areas in San Jose should I look into?

Asked by June, Mountain View, CA Thu May 2, 2013

I would assume somewhere on a hill would be good. Budget is $1.5m

Answers

7
Julie Priest Keil’s answer
Julie Priest…, Agent, San Jose, CA
Fri May 3, 2013
Hi June,
There would be little gems in the west valley area for your dad to retire too. I agree with my colleagues that an in-person consultation with a Realtor would be your best first step for your dad to find his new home.

Julie Priest Keil
Ventura Barnett Properties
Better Homes & Gardens Realty
Almaden/Campbell/Los Gatos
charles butt…, Agent, san jose, CA
Thu May 2, 2013
Thank you for your question June:

I answered you later question first.

Yes, with a budget of $1.5 million, areas around Los Gatos and Saratoga would be far too expensive for your father's budget, however there is excellent properties with views of the Valley in that price range in North San Jose, Evergreen and The Almaden Valley.

There are an enormous number of issues involved with selecting the location of your next home. I recommend a consultation of at least one to two hours to start, so that we can discuss those issues and find out what properties would be best to accomplish what your father wants.

Charles Butterfield MBA
Real Estate Broker/REALTOR
American Realty
Office Phone: (408)269-4238
Cell Phone: (408)509-6218
Fax: (408)269-3597
Email Address: charlesbutterfieldbkr@yahoo.com
DRE#00901872
.
Barbara Hunt, , Cupertino, CA
Thu May 2, 2013
Hi June,

I recommend somewhere he can walk to many shops, grocery stores, etc. and that has easy access to public transportation. In San Jose, Willow Glen and the Rose Garden, parts of Sunnyvale, parts of Los Altos and Mountain View, and I’m sure there are many others.

As people get older, being able to get around without driving can be important – some older people don’t drive at night because their night vision isn’t good, some don’t drive at all. While living on a hill sounds lovely, you usually don’t find amenities within walking distance. It can also be more isolating.

There are some areas, too, where even though they're on the flat they have views of the mountains.

I live on a hill and love it, but these are things I have thought about because I’m getting older myself.

Barbara Hunt, Realtor
Keller Williams
408-921-6495
chris mosher, Agent, San Jose, CA
Thu May 2, 2013
Hi June,

It would be best to meet with your dad and yourself to discuss what he is looking for in a home. It's important to know the ammenties he can live with and without. From there it would give me a better understanding on which areas would work best.

Thank you Chris
408-204-8209
James Mauldw…, Agent, Saratoga, CA
Thu May 2, 2013
1.5 million will get your dad quite a bit of home. Almaden ( in San Jose ), Saratoga, The east foothills and many others with a great view are available. The main question is what area is your Dad most interested in? I have been selling homes since 1991 and would be glad to assist.

Jim Mauldwin
Intero Real Estate Services
408-863-3020
jmauldwin@interorealestate.com
DRE# 01125380 since 1991
Jose Romero, Agent, San Jose, CA
Thu May 2, 2013
Hi June,

I have a nice home for sale in the Santa Theresa Area, 5/3/2g Pool, view of mountains @$680k
Short walk to maintains trails.

Call me if you're interested.

-Jose
Bradley Wils…, Agent, San Jose, CA
Thu May 2, 2013
Hi June, I can cover all of the Closing Costs associated with the real estate Purchase
by offering a 1% Broker Rebate. For Example $1,500,000 purchase = $15,000 credit!

Please give me a call ASAP

Bradley Wilson
AMICI REAL ESTATE
(408) 228-7867
Hi Bradley, thank you for your answer. I am out of country right now so calling is not a good option for me. Can you email me at june.j.jeong@gmail.com and let me know which areas I should look at?
Flag Thu May 2, 2013