My buyer agent will contact the seller agent to see if they will even consider my offer before submiting

Asked by J, Greenwood Village, CO Thu Jan 24, 2008

my offer. Is this normal practice?

Answers

8
Kathryn Carl…, Agent, Conifer, CO
Fri Apr 11, 2008
The Buyer's Agent-- should just submit the offer to the Listing Agent. This is in your best interest.
The Seller can counter, accept, or reject it.

Kathryn Carlson, Licensed Real Estate Broker Owner ,
Bachelor of Science, Realtor, Accredited. Luxury Home Specialist, e-Pro Certified
Memberships: National Association of Realtors,
Colorado Association of Realtors, Denver Board of Realtors, Council of Residential Specialists,
Council of Luxury Home Specialists, Colorado Mortgage Holding Company, Licensed HUD Broker, Denver Metrolist
Homes and Lifestyles of Colorado
_____________________________________________
Finding Your Place Called Home
Cell (720) 226-8199 - Direct (303) 816-9199 - Fax (303) 845-9938
Email: Kathryn@DenverHomeLiving.com
Special Offers, Daily Home Lists, and
Market Conditions: http://www.DenverHomeLiving.com
____________________________________________________
9 Divisions to Serve You:
Luxury Home Living - City Living - Mountain Living -Condo & Town Home Living -
Farm & Country Living - Relocation/First Time Home Buyers - REO Bank Owned & Short Sales -
Income & Investment - Land.

Spring Specials:
* Your Home Sold in 90 Days or $1,000 to You.
* 2.6% Total to Sell Your Home (if you are planning on Buying).

Over 30 Years of Combined Company Experience of Tech/ and Real Estate Sales.
Serving the Entire Denver Metro Region & the Mountains.
Thank Your for Your Referrals of Friends & Family - They are the Life of Our Business.
Melinda J. R…, Agent, Hudsonville, MI
Tue Mar 25, 2008
J, were you writing a very low offer? Just curious. Maybe that is why your agent wanted to do that??? As a listing agent I always say just write it up. I am not sure that a buyer is really serious unless it is in writing. Writing is the way to go.

Did you ask your agent why he/she was doing it this way? That might be helpful.

I hope this information help! Best Wishes!
Web Reference:  http://www.gomelinda.com/
Shannon Stan…, Agent, Denver, CO
Tue Mar 25, 2008
J,

I always do the communicating with a listing office. From setting the showings, talking to the assistant and the Listing broker I can almost always glean details that will work to my clients advantage in the negotiations.

Absolutely, positively, the Buyers agent should "feel out" the Seller's agent before writing an offer. I'm always surprised by what info a listing agent will "spill" ...particulary in this market. Your agent should not, however, disclose your price and terms. Once your agent has completed this reconnaissance, then you prepare and submit an offer based on the intelligence gathered.

A Buyer's agent should also be prepared to justify a low-priced offer with solid information. I submit a market analysis with the offer so the Seller understands that we are not submitting a random low-ball offer.

Here's a good article on writing an aggressive offer:
Jason Burch, , Boulder, CO
Thu Jan 24, 2008
Typically you can get a feel for how the other agent reacts to the offer and find out wether they have turned down any offers, but usually you will not get a definite yes or no until it is in writting. In addition sometimes sellers will end up going lower than they originally thought they would once the paperwork is in front of them and all they have to do is sign.

Jason Burch
Brian Burke, Agent, Highlands Ranch, CO
Thu Jan 24, 2008
It is better to have an offer in writing. If it is in writing there is a greater chance of coming to terms and getting you the home. Is the offer a Low-Ball offer?
I would have him put it in writing. It is normal to call the other agent and get some info on the home and sellers terms like possession and if the home has offers on the table or if it is still available.
Offers in writing are stronger. To be legal it must be written.
Michael Krot…, Agent,
Thu Jan 24, 2008
I agree completely with Deborah here. Normally I call the listing agent beforehand to see if there are any special circumstances or factors that need to be taken into consideration (sellers out of state, quick close preferred, etc) before writing an offer with my client.

I would be wary of having your agent call before submitting any offer because, as mentioned, this could compromise your buying situation. It is best to have everything in writing, unambiguous, and in front of the Seller.

Any and all offers should be presented to a Seller regardless of how the agent feels about it. As a listing agent I always tell a buyer's agent, "Send an offer and I will give it to my client."
Pam Winterba…, Agent, Danville, VA
Thu Jan 24, 2008
It is a disservice to both the buyer or seller to call with a verbal offer prior to writing it. As a buyers agent I want that opportunity to present the offer directly to the seller for their acceptance. If checking it out verbally their is nothing to bind either party or worse yet there could be a misrepresentation in the communication. Normal practice is all offers are to be in writing. Good luck.
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Thu Jan 24, 2008
As a listing agent, I direct the buyer agent to write the offer before I will present it. I will present any written offer to a seller, and encourage offers. There is risk of disservice to the buyer and the seller with oral offers that travel from buyer to agent to agent to seller. The written offer protects all parties by providing an accurate representation of the buyers intentions.