My boyfriend & I are going to refi his home together . Im putting $ down at refi. What must I put in our agreement to make sure I will be?

Asked by Kitty, Nipomo, CA Thu Apr 12, 2012


Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Tina Beasley, Agent, Saint Augustine, FL
Thu Apr 12, 2012
To make sure you will be...what? Officially an owner? You need to see an attorney and get your name also put on the deed of the property in order to legally be an owner. If you just give your boyfriend money for his refinance and they add your name onto the loan, you will be legally responsible for paying the loan back but not have any ownership rights unless your name is added to the deed. Get to an attorney and get your name added to the deed.
1 vote
Christina Ha…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Morristown, TN
Sat Jun 22, 2013
Is the loan in both your names? Are you both going on the title of the home or deed? Then you will be an owner.. Talk to the title company doing the closing, and the lender doing the loan. They can assure you will be accurately added as a part-owner of the property.

Have a great day;

Christina Solorzano;
CEO & SR Credit & Mortgage Consultant of
Everlasting Credit Repair
Making home ownership more than a dream...
Retired Mortgage Banker…
0 votes
Kathleen LoG…, Agent, Arlington, VA
Sat Jun 22, 2013
I agree with Vicky. It's always best to consult a real estate attorney for questions like this. When purchasing anything as a non married couple, you have to be sure that it's clear about who and what- PRIOR To buying a property.
Agents / Realtor ..are not qualified to give you advice on this.
Spend the bucks now.. and save heartache later. Consult a legal professional.

Kathy Fong
Keller Williams Arlington
Voted one of the BEST Realtors in Arlington 2013
0 votes
Gsteis, Home Buyer, Arlington, VA
Tue Oct 2, 2012
Hi Kitty,

The other answers don't correctly answer your question. If the 2 of you are applying to refinance the property and the 2 of you are on the application for refinance, your name will be added to the Deed and the Deed of Trust Note. You will have ownership in the property and you will be responsible for the repayment of the loan regardless of your future relationship with your boyfriend.
0 votes
Mary Ann Sc…, Agent, Hawley, PA
Thu Apr 26, 2012
I am assuming that if you are going to finance your boyfriends home, you would like some ownership in it. In any case, most lenders would require that the deed and the mortgage and note have exactly the same names on each of the documents. This means you need to have an attorney add you to the deed in order to re-finance the property. This is a legal question and you need to consult an attorney for accurate advice.
0 votes
Vicky Chrisn…, Agent, Purcellvile, VA
Thu Apr 12, 2012
You need legal advice. Consult an attorney. This is not a real estate question.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more