Murray Hill: seems to be alot for sale in Murray Hill, esp adjacent to Rt 495. Any particular reason? Thanks.

Asked by Robert, 08002 Fri Oct 21, 2011

Answers

8
Mitchell Hall, Agent, New York, NY
Fri Oct 21, 2011
Murray Hill is a lovely neighborhood on Manhattan's est side in NYC. There is no Rt 495 in Manhattan or in Murray Hill. Murray Hill is midtown Manhattan. Zip code 08002 is not in New York. I don't know if there is a Murray Hill in New Jersey but that is where 08002 is located.

Good Luck
Robert, Home Buyer, 08002
Fri Mar 22, 2013
Thank you all for replies.
Elena Ravich,…, Agent, New York City, NY
Fri Mar 22, 2013
Murray Hill is an up and coming neighborhood, close to transportation and with a good amount of restaurants and infrastructure, etc. It is not yet as developed as other areas of Manhattan and you can still find good deals on the purchase price. More and more young professionals are moving to the area, including some of my clients, who were very happy with their choice.
apt1402, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Sat Mar 9, 2013
I just visited a friend with a coop in Murray Hill - What a great location, right off Park Avenue. It was so convenient, the subway wason Park Ave., I saw there was a bus crosstown, and when I needed to leave it was only a quick cab (20 mn) to LaGuardia airport. I had fun since it was near everything! We could walk to the movie theatre too.

We walked downtown and uptown along Park Ave.since it was centally located. Her realtor just said it is getting really "hot" since Chelsea and the other areas are now finacially untouchable and values are no longer good. I am definitely thinking about relocating there.
Edward Bissen, , 10003
Fri Mar 1, 2013
Rt 495 technically is 34th street and runs from the Lincoln Tunnel to the Midtown Tunnel and then to the Long Island Expressway (495). As such, it can get a bit of traffic during rush hour, but is relatively quiet the rest of the time. I have just sold 2 units at 649 2nd Avenue which gets the morning inbound traffic from 7-10 am, but is otherwise a wide open avenue. Given the rising market we are seeing in this location, any purchase now will most likely maintain its value going forward.
Kelly Killian, Agent, Astoria, NY
Fri Oct 21, 2011
Hi Robert:
One of the interesting after effects of the recession is that the East Side north of Gramercy performed much worse. As the neighborhoods had a lot of studios and 1 bedrooms vs. a mix there is a lot of inventory that drove prices down and has continued to keep them down. Additionally, a few neighborhoods did surprisingly well through the recession, one being Chelsea. The UWS also held up well, making Murray Hill and UES look that much cheaper than the rest of the city. Overall though, the city is basically flat on pricing to rising depending on area. Hope this helps,
Kelly Killian
Bond New York
954-675-9915
Very helpful repines
Flag Tue Nov 26, 2013
Charlie Summ…, Agent, New York, NY
Fri Oct 21, 2011
Hi Robert, I think on the various mapping programs on the web, the Long Island Expressway (LIE) is shown as 495 and made to look like it runs right into Manhattan by virtue of the Midtown Tunnel. The Midtown Tunnel comes into Manhattan in Murray Hill so that's probably the source of everyone's confusion.
That aside, I've recently sold several listings in Murray Hill in fact one just closed near the Midtown Tunnel (or 495) and one thing about the neighborhood that could explain your question is the large number of large buildings (therefore a lot of apartments in each building and some for sale in every one, nothing unusual). One reason people are drawn to MH is the convenience to many neighborhoods (for instance you can walk to work if you work in midtown and its a very quick hop to other destinations like Union Square, Greenwich Village, etc), the apartments in these 1960's buildings that populate the area are generally large, and the prices have tended to be reasonable compared to other areas of lower Manhattan. It really is a great place to look if you've been considering buying in the city and I'd be more than happy to share more about the neighborhood and explain more of the inside story on what's available there if you'd like to give me a call at 917-376-1648 or email me at csummers@bellmarc.com. Thanks much! Charlie Summers, VP, Bellmarc Realty
Joan Sacks, Agent, NY,
Fri Oct 21, 2011
Murray Hill offers good value but is not yet a hot spot such as the West Village or Greenwich Village.