Moving to Portland- need help choosing a neighborhood!

Asked by Eric Thompson, Los Angeles, CA Fri Oct 12, 2012

I’m considering moving to the Portland area but I really do not know where to begin. Ideally, I’d like to purchase a home in a nice neighborhood that has fun things to do. For example, great restaurants, shopping, nightlife, entertainment, etc. are all important to me. I prefer being in or close to densely populated areas, such as downtown. As it stands right now, my price range is about $1,200,000-$1,500,000. What neighborhoods would be the best fit?

Eric T.

Answers

14
Kim Glass, , San Francisco, CA
Mon Oct 15, 2012
Hi Everyone,

Because there was some concern, we followed up with Eric directly. He's a real person who is considering multiple places for his next move. It's his first experience posting in our community and we encourage you all to give him a warm welcome. Please continue to share the expert opinions only you have.

If you ever have any concerns, please feel free to email us at community@trulia.com.

Thanks!
-Kim, Community Manager
would be nice if Eric stopped by the 19 forums he created and thanked all the many agents who took, and are still taking, the time to respond to his questions
Flag Wed Oct 17, 2012
Thank you Kim.
Flag Mon Oct 15, 2012
Drea Cooper, Agent, Portland, OR
Fri Oct 12, 2012
Hi Eric,

Portland is full of great neighborhoods with a strong community feel. What part of town will you be working in? I have a neighborhood page you can check out to get you started - http://allportlandhomes.com/portland-neighborhoods/.

A few neighborhoods I recommend you search in are SE Hawthorne, Mt Tabor, Buckman and Laurelhurst. The NE neighborhoods I recommend you starting with are Irvington, Alberta Arts, Beaumont and Alameda. These all fit the neighborhood criteria you desire.

If you want to start searching for homes, go ahead and get started on my map to view the neighborhoods above, search by clicking this link - http://allportlandhomes.com/search-listings/

Feel free to email or call me.

Drea Cooper
drea@m-homes.net
503-866-6670
allportlandhomes.com
Kevin Levy, Agent, Portland, OR
Fri Oct 12, 2012
Hello Eric,
There are so many great neighborhoods in Portland, that it will most likely come down to finding your perfect home. The inner SE and inner NE neighborhoods are very desirable to many with so many local shops restaurants, an amazing night life as well as day scene.
I created a Portland neighborhoods page for this exact question:
http://relocationtoportland.com/portland-neighborhoods/

Some of my personal favorite neighborhoods are Buckman, Irvington, Hawthorne and Laurelhurst.
I am a relocation specialist and have created my site to have everything you will need to make your transition that much smoother.
If you would like me to forward you a few homes in those neighborhoods please let me know and I will get them right over.

Please feel free to call/email me anytime, I am always happy to help.

Kevin Levy
503-267-7535
kevin@m-homes.net
M Realty
Michael McBa…, Agent, Portland, OR
Tue Oct 16, 2012
Greetings Eric,
Your options are wide open. There are bunch of neighborhoods close to and including downtown that offer what you want with the kind of home you are looking for. I am going to assume that you are open to either a condominium or a house. Here are few. Grab a map.

The Pearl. This is virtually downtown. Condominiums galore along with some townhouses. Really cool townhouses! This is one of, if not the hip, slick and cool place to live in Portland.
The Northwest Alphabet District. This area is anchored by 21st and 23rd Avenues. Each has about 12-14 blocks of wall to wall shops, stores, restaurants etc. (These are sometimes referred to as “TrendyFirst and TrendyThird.) The housing is mixed. You have a number of condominiums here as well as townhouses and more traditional homes. Where the Pearl is all modern construction the Alphabet District features some new and newer properties but also many older properties dating back to the turn of the twentieth century.

Downtown. The Portland core does have virtually everything you are looking for. There are also a number of very nice condominium options available in the core. The area is girdled to the west and south by some of the grandest homes Portland has to offer.
This is by no means an exhaustive list. The East Side of Portland has a number of areas worth considering as well. If you would like to hear about these please contact me.

Michael McBarron
Windermere
503-679-9121
mmcbarron@windermere.com
Joe Findling, Agent, Portland, OR
Sat Oct 13, 2012
Eric,
In your price range, your going to have a multitude of neighborhood choices and (as you can see by the volume below) agents wanting to work with you. As for not knowing where to begin, I think it would help you quite a bit to decide if you 're leaning toward a house and a yard, or a condominium. That answer in and of itself will pare down your choices quite a bit. If you have any proximity needs to work, family, etc. that will narrow the list further. Next, get yourself a tour guide! Real estate agents are great at that, though you want to make sure you work with someone that presents all the options, not just their favorite locations. Let me know if I can help and good luck.
Joe Findling
503-757-6447
JoeFindling@CBSeal.com
Teri Beatty, Agent, Portland, OR
Fri Oct 12, 2012
Hi Eric,
It sounds like the perfect match for you would be Portland Heights. You can walk to the heart of downtown in 20 minutes. NW 23rd & Nob Hill are about the same and full of great restaurants & shopping. We have hiking trails 5-10 minutes away. Let me know if I can help. This is an area I know very well.

Teri
Tammy Beckley, Agent, Portland, OR
Fri Oct 12, 2012
Hi Eric,
Portland is such an amazing city and an excellent choice in deciding where to move. I should know, I just moved here about 2 years ago after falling in love with Portland over a decade ago! I happen to specialize in luxury properties in the exact types of areas that meet the criteria you have laid out. Upon analyzing your criteria there are 2 areas that immediately come to mind. TheWest Hills and the NW district.
The West Hills includes the neighborhoods of Arlington Heights, Hillside, SW Hills, Council Crest and Portland Heights. They are lovely picturesque neighborhoods, very scenic, city views and walkable to some of the very best shopping, dining, strolling and nightlife areas that Portland has to offer. The thing I like about this area the best is that you get all of the excitement of the city, yet the neighborhoods are nicely residential and feel like "home" so, you can have a lovely yard, a dog, peace and quiet etc... yet you are only moments away from super fun areas of the city! Also, Washington Park, Portland’s gorgeous 410 acre park that houses the international rose test garden, the Japanese gardens, the zoo and loads of hiking trails is directly adjacent to the West Hills. This area has a Vibe Score of 9.1 out of 10 from Mapquest Local which is an excellent source of info about lifestyle areas.
The other area I would suggest is the Northwest District aka Nob Hill. This area is adjacent to the West Hills but is the northernmost part. It offers much of the same amenities as the West Hills and has a Mapquest Local vibe score of 9.7 It is described as "buzzing and characterful"!
Please give me a call or shoot me an email if you have any questions regarding your potential move. I would be happy to be of help and love working with clients that are seeking out the same types of areas that happen to be my favorite too!

Tammy Beckley - Principal Broker
Cascade Sotheby's Int'l Realty
503.476.2718
reallygreathomes@gmail.com
http://www.reallygreathomes.com
LizBeth Hale, Agent, Happy Valley, OR
Fri Oct 12, 2012
The best thing you can do is come up and Rent for bit until you really know what you want. There are so many beautiful happening areas in Portland you will fall in love with all of them!

Lake Oswego had my heart when i first moved from SB but then ended up falling in love with Happy Valley.

Lizbeth Hale
Lizbeth@treecityrealestate.com
Joan Bowyer, Agent, Gresham,, OR
Fri Oct 12, 2012
Eric: My contact information is bowyerjo@aol.com and my cell phone is 503-260-2416. Joan Bowyer-
Tomas Navarro, Agent, Portland, OR
Fri Oct 12, 2012
I would suggest looking at Portland Heights to get a neighborhood and be close to downtown. Let me know and I can send you the available inventory.
Raejean Sly, Agent, Lake Oswego, OR
Fri Oct 12, 2012
You really will have choices on both the east and west sides of the river. Are you looking for a single family residence or condo in the heart of downtown? I'm a Relocation agent and would love to connect to discuss this further. A few neighborhoods to consider: Irvington on the east side; Pearl district, hip downtown neighborhood; NW/Alphabet neighborhood on the west side is similar to Irvington but even more urban. Contact me, Raejean Sly at 503.913.1587, rsly@prunw.com or visit http://www.pdx-homes.com to set up searches that you control.
Web Reference:  http://Www.pdx-relo.com
The Hatch Ho…, Agent, Portland, OR
Fri Oct 12, 2012
Hi Eric,
We would love the opportunity to discuss your goals and objectives and help you find your ideal home in this beautiful city. There are so many great neighbohoods in Portland that would meet your criteria, I am actually leaning more towards Northwest Portland and Portland Heights for you. When are you thinking of moving? We have a lot to offer and we have an agent who works exclusively with buyers such as yourself who would love to speak with you more about your plans and any specific questions you may have. Please contact us on 503-748-8311 or visit http://www.HatchHomes.com.
Thank you!
Joan Bowyer, Agent, Gresham,, OR
Fri Oct 12, 2012
The Pearl District is one area. Mostly high rise condos. The South waterfront is another area and again would be high rise condos. If you prefer a home with a yard then there are many close in neighborhoods such as Hawthorne, Sunnyside, Laurelhurst, Sellwood. Your price range will get you something very nice. I have been doing this 30 years. I take out of area clients to various neighborhoods so they csn get what feels right to them and show them what amenities are available in each.
Torrey Nelson, Agent, Portland, OR
Fri Oct 12, 2012
I would definitely recommend the Pearl District. Based on what your looking for you'd love it! It has everything youre looking for.