Eric Thompson, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

Moving to Phoenix- need help choosing a neighborhood!

Asked by Eric Thompson, Los Angeles, CA Fri Oct 12, 2012

I’m considering moving to the Phoenix area but I really do not know where to begin. Ideally, I’d like to purchase a home in a nice neighborhood that has fun things to do. For example, great restaurants, shopping, nightlife, entertainment, etc. are all important to me. I prefer being in or close to densely populated areas, such as downtown. As it stands right now, my price range is about $1,200,000-$1,500,000. What neighborhoods would be the best fit?

Eric T.

Answers

16
Cheryl Menay…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Fri Oct 12, 2012
Do you also anticipate the possibility of moving to San Antonio, San Francisco, San Diego, Portland and Seattle? I noticed you had several inquiries out for those other cities as well.
bravo!
I have flagged all of his other posts
Flag Sat Oct 13, 2012
Courtney Yant, Agent, Chandler, AZ
Wed Oct 17, 2012
Hi Eric,

I think that the Ahwatukee Foothills would be a great fit for what you are looking for. Ahwatukee is located in close proximity to the Airport, Downtown Phoenix and also surrounded by Mountains that are great for hiking, biking etc.

If you would like more information on Ahwatukee, please feel free to email or call me.
Courtney Yant
480-227-4476
vcipleads@gmail.com
Kim Glass, , San Francisco, CA
Mon Oct 15, 2012
Hi Everyone,

Because there was some concern, we followed up with Eric directly. He's a real person who is considering multiple places for his next move. It's his first experience posting in our community and we encourage you all to give him a warm welcome. Please continue to share the expert opinions only you have.

If you ever have any concerns, please feel free to email us at community@trulia.com.

Thanks!
-Kim, Community Manager
Hi Kim,
Thank you for that feedback. I couldn't really understand what the concern was: often people who are perhaps self-employed consider multiple cities in making a decision where to re-locate. We see that a lot in Arizona...
Eric, I am ready to help you in any way I can!
Flag Mon Oct 15, 2012
Loren Hoboy, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Sun Oct 14, 2012
Eric,
I would recommend that you first seek out an experienced Buyer's agent to work with you help you get the answers to your questions to best define the neighborhoods where you will want to begin your search. Select locations in both Scottsdale and Phoenix come to mind, some of which have been mentioned. We would want to explore how close you want to be to "fun" things to do whether you want to walk, drive, etc.

You can explore the neighborhoods "walking score" at http://centralazhomes.com/ as you search. This site is fully up to date and scrubs/filters out listings that are no longer available unlike Trulia and Zillow. Give it a try.

Loren Hoboy-Realtor
Your Local Expert
Central AZ Real Estate
LHoboy@centralAZhomes.com
623-688-0004
Stephanie We…, Agent, Gilbert, AZ
Sat Oct 13, 2012
Yes, it appears Eric Thompson has the same criteria in MANY different cities.
l, , Phoenix, AZ
Fri Oct 12, 2012
There are more than one areas that I would recommend. Send email, please/
Cheryl Menay…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Fri Oct 12, 2012
google our relocation guides below which might help you decide where you prefer.

Cheryl Menayas, Realtor GRI, ePRO, SFR
Direct: 602-819-2301
http://www.CherylMenayas.com
http://www.cherylmenayas.com/relocation_guide_for_scottsdale…

Excellent Relocation information http://www.sunraydirect.com/Phoenix2/OnlineGuide/ArizonaBest/

Through our affiliation with Leading Real Estate Companies of the Worldâ„¢, I can connect you to the finest residential real estate firms worldwide as well. http://www.leadingre.com/
Cheryl Menay…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Fri Oct 12, 2012
the Phoenix area lends itself to nightlife and sports events and theatre. Having just been to see Next to Nothing at the Herberger theatre last night I can tell you it is a wonderful city to explore especially while we have the best of weather right now. The Chateau on Central has 5000 + sq ft townhomes in the heart of the city.
Let's me do some research for you.
Eileen Shapi…, Agent, Mesa, AZ
Fri Oct 12, 2012
Hello Eric,

Based on your preferences, I think you might like the Biltmore and Arcadia areas in Phoenix. Biltmore is upscale, with lots of shopping: http://www.shopbiltmore.com/, with Macy's, Sak's, Capitol Grille, etc. Arcadia is an older area of Phoenix, with many rehabbed homes and trendy local restaurants, not as much shopping. Scottsdale definitely provides restaurants, shopping, night life. While the homes in N.Scottsdale fit your price point, N.Scottsdale is more about mountain views, but further from the bars, shopping centers. Please call or email and I will be happy to provide you with relocation guides for Phoenix and Scottsdale, as well as send you some listings to start with!

Good luck in this endeavor! And by the way, you will be amazed at the fantastic homes in your price point in metro Phoenix.

Eileen Shapiro
480.370.6520
Cheryl Menay…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Fri Oct 12, 2012
I am a realtor in Scottsdale and your criteria seems to be in sync with our town. Scottsdale has hiking, city aquatic centers, public parks and home owner associations with tennis, soccer, baseball, rock climbing and more.
I can email you homes that fit your criteria immediately and get you started. I might show you the Waterfront if urban living is your preference where you can walk to upscale shopping, restaurants and nightlife or north at McDowell Mtn Ranch or DC Ranch or others if Golf and hiking are on the top of your list.
Brenda & Ron…, Agent, Mesa, AZ
Fri Oct 12, 2012
Eric,

There are some great areas in Scottsdale that you would like as well as the Arcadia area in Phoenix. If you would like further assistance please don't hesitate to call us. You can also go to our website and search for homes through the FlexMLS like Realtors do.

Brenda

Ron & Brenda Cunningham
West USA Realty
602-980-3133
Ron 602-499-0694

*** Recognized in the Phoenix Business Journal as "One of the Top 50 Realtors in the Valley" ***
Lorrie Feld,…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Fri Oct 12, 2012
Hi Eric,
I lived in Los Angeles for 24 years and moved here 9 years ago and chose Scottsdale. There is nothing like Scottsdale in AZ if you want great restaurants and nightlife. It is especially beautiful having a view of the mountains and all that the desert has to offer.

If you would like more of a city feeling then you would be best living downtown Scottsdale in a condo. there are some great contemporary lofts like Sage and Optima for example that have gone up there and you can walk to everything that is going on around there. I really love what they have done to downtown and would love to help you find a great place there.

Please feel free to contact me and I can get you started on a search. I also included a link to a search tool that allows you to search as we do on our MLS.

Best
Lorrie Feld
Keller Williams Integrity First
480-570-1074
Steffy Hrist…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Fri Oct 12, 2012
Eric,
My first thought was Scottsdale - close to down town, or in the Kierland area.
Maybe you will like the Biltmore area, too - Phoenix.
Tempe - down town has very attractive places, too.
If you like the urban lofts, please click on my Trulia blog and you will see some.
We moved about five years ago from Northern California to Tempe AZ and absolutely love it.
I will welcome your call if you'd like to discuss in more details certain areas.

Steffy Hristova, MBA, SFR, Realtor®
HomeSmart
Tel: (480) 966-9353 Fax: (602) 507-3703
3131 E. Camelback Rd. #125
Phoenix AZ 85016
Web Reference:  http://www.talktosteffy.com
Laura Mier, Agent, Gilbert, AZ
Fri Oct 12, 2012
Howdy,

It depends on a few factors - are you still working and do you need to commute or are you able to work from home? North Scottsdale would be a great fit for you! Lots of night life and activity in the neighborhood and downtown Scottsdale is just a short drive away. Paradise Valley would also be a good choice and it is right next to Downtown Scottsdale. And, a third option would be the Camelback / Arcadia area of Phoenix. Perhaps the best of both worlds could be found there. I grew up in the burbs outside of LA and have been in AZ for over 30 years now - and love it! Should you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thanks, Laura (laura@lauramier.com)
Jennie Miller…, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Fri Oct 12, 2012
Are you looking for a single family home, townhome, or condo? What are the criteria that you have for your new home--#bed, sq ft, amenities? The downtown Phoenix area has plenty of sporting, social, and cultural events that you can take advantage of. There are also many of bars and restaurants. Scottsdale also has several areas that meet this criteria as well. Feel free to send me more specifics about the home that you are looking for. I would be happy to work with you and have extensive referrals from my clients on my trulia.com profile so you can see the quality of my work. If you would like to search the MLS with the same capabilities that I have as a Realtor, you can do so online at http://www.azhomesalesandmanagement.com.
Christine L…, Agent, Chandler, AZ
Fri Oct 12, 2012
Eric, it sounds like Scottsdale would be a great fit for you. I'd be happy to search for homes in and around Scottsdale that meet your criteria. There are many outstanding neighborhoods to choose from. Just contact me and I will start by sending you some possible properties.
Christine Loschiavo
Broker/Owner
Property Cupid Real Estate
480-628-0496
Web Reference:  http://Ww.propertycupid.com