Moving to NJ: Waht areas to focus on with commute to downtown NY under $600k?

Asked by Kim, New Jersey Mon Apr 13, 2009

My husband and I are looking for a home in New Jersey. We are a young professional couple in our 30’s. We both work in NY, currently downtown and we have a baby. We are interested in areas with both good schools and commute to NYC (bus or train - under 60 minutes to Port Auth/Penn Station or under 75 minutes door to door?) We are looking to keep our final purchase price below $600,000. We would like a three bedroom home (four would be better or the potential to expand) with a nice backyard, in a family friendly town. We would really like to be able to find two or three great towns we can focus on.

Can anyone that works downtown share his or her commute?
How can we find out about foreclosures in NJ?

Thank you!

Answers

7
Elaine Saram…, Agent, Holmdel, NJ
Wed Apr 22, 2009
Hi Kim,

I am a Realtor and home owner I live 5 minutes from the Lincoln Tunnel, on a quiet hidden st, there is a light rail near by and buses to NY are about 10 minutes walk from my house. Kids are happy playing around here with their friends and pets. Very good schools. My house was totally rebuilt and ready to move in. Call me if you are still looking to buy under 600k. I advise my clients to drive by around school time so they can see what kind of neighbors they will get. You might even get information about sharing commute. Why travel so much if you can live near work on a small town. Save gas and time to enjoy with your family.
Elaine 973 919 2702. Exit First Choice Realty 732 326 9030 ext 217 ElaineSaramago@gmail.com
Francesca Pa…, Agent, Manasquan, NJ
Wed Apr 22, 2009
Kim,

Based on your "school criteria" u may want consider Northern Monmouth County, although the train commute may be just above 60 minutes, but u will be close to the Jersey Shore and it's fabulous beaches . . . a great tradeoff.

Feel free to email or give me a call to discuss further.

Love and peace,
Francesa, Realtor, ePro
Francesca@PatrizioRE.com
Web Reference:  http://www.PatrizioRE.com
Neera Sharma, , 08836
Tue Apr 21, 2009
Hi Kim,
You may want to consider Bridgewater, Westfield, Morris Plains. All three easy commute to NYC. Morris Plains and Westfield both have trains going to NY. From Bridgewater you can take a train to Newark, NJ and then take a path train to NYC (Penn, WTC). You can also take a bus from Bridgewater to Port Authority.

Please feel free to call me at my cell 908-400-6484 cell for any further assistance.
Warmest Regards and welcome to NJ.
Neera Sharma
Prudential New Jersey Properties
908-400-6484 cell
Jeff K, Home Buyer, Bristol, PA
Mon Apr 13, 2009
Hi Kim,

Please pay close attention to Taxes of one property vs. another. NJ is high regardless but every $600 more in taxes equates to another $10,000 on a mortgage. I'd recommend trying to find a town with a good commute, good schools and reasonable taxes - your money will go much further.
Camille Mill…, , Flemington, NJ
Mon Apr 13, 2009
Kim:
You can learn all about the demographics of every county in New Jersey plus the latest school reports on http://www.JustJerseyRealEstate.com. While your there do your entire home search too. Everything you need about the market and latest statistics are available for you in one local place. If you need assistance don't hesitate to ask. Best of luck...It'a a great tilme to invest in NJ!

Camille Miller
Broker/Owner
Just Jersey Properties
Yelena Tsula…, Agent, Morris Plains, NJ
Mon Apr 13, 2009
Hello, Kim!
How are you?
There are so many towns that meet your criteria, but let's start from this:
Morris Co.: E. Hanover, Hanover, Florham Park, Parsippany, Morris Plains, Morris Twp., Morristown, Montville, Chatha, Madison, Long Hill.
Union Co.: Summit, Westfield, Springfield.
Somerset Co.: Basking Ridge (Bernards Twp.), Warren, Watchung.
Passaic Co.: Wayne
Essex Co.: Livingston, Millburn - Short Hill, Caldwell, West Caldwell, Verona, Roseland, Cedar Grove.
All these towns have a good public transportation, some of them - train and bus, some - bus only.

I know theam very well, if you have questions, do not hesitate to contact me any time
mail to: YelenaT@optonline.net
Glad to help.
Yelena
Advanced Realty Group, LLC
Murphy Wilson, Agent, Maplewood, NJ
Mon Apr 13, 2009
This is a tremendous time to buy a home and there are great bargains in your price range in suburban Essex and Union counties. I would recommend looking at the train schedules and school reports for the towns along the train line as an initial guide. I spent 20 years working in the financial district so I'm familiar with the ways to commute. I would be happy to help you with your home search. Call me so we can discuss your remaining requirements for a home.