Moving to Chicago- need help choosing a neighborhood!

Asked by Eric Thompson, Los Angeles, CA Fri Oct 12, 2012

I’m considering moving to the Chicago area but I really do not know where to begin. Ideally, I’d like to purchase a home in a nice neighborhood that has fun things to do. For example, great restaurants, shopping, nightlife, entertainment, etc. are all important to me. I prefer being in or close to densely populated areas, such as downtown. As it stands right now, my price range is about $1,200,000-$1,500,000. What neighborhoods would be the best fit?

Eric T.

Answers

24
JIM Michaels, Agent, Chicago, IL
Fri Oct 12, 2012
based on your other question from trulia looks like your moving to a lot of locations

Moving to Portland- need help choosing a neighborhood!
Asked Fri, Oct 12, 2012 by Eric Thompson • Home Buying in Portland
9 Answers
Moving to San Antonio- need help choosing a neighborhood!
Asked Fri, Oct 12, 2012 by Eric Thompson • Home Buying in San Antonio
4 Answers
Moving to San Diego- need help choosing a neighborhood!
Asked Fri, Oct 12, 2012 by Eric Thompson • Home Buying in San Diego
9 Answers
Moving to San Francisco- need help choosing a neighborhood!
Asked Fri, Oct 12, 2012 by Eric Thompson • Home Buying in San Francisco
No answers.
Moving to Seattle- need help choosing a neighborhood!
Asked Fri, Oct 12, 2012 by Eric Thompson • Home Buying in Seattle
8 Answers
right - and I am running for president
Flag Sat Oct 13, 2012
Yes, I am *considering* (being the operative word) moving to 19 cities.
Flag Fri Oct 12, 2012
Kim Glass, , San Francisco, CA
Mon Oct 15, 2012
Hi Everyone,

Because there was some concern, we followed up with Eric directly. He's a real person who is considering multiple places for his next move. It's his first experience posting in our community and we encourage you all to give him a warm welcome. Please continue to share the expert opinions only you have.

If you ever have any concerns, please feel free to email us at community@trulia.com.

Thanks!
-Kim, Community Manager
Bill J Delig…, Agent, Naperville, IL
Fri Oct 19, 2012
Greetings Eric,

If Chicago makes sense for your work, family and social needs then I do not think you can go wrong. It's an amazing city with plenty to offer from A to Z. Culture, Sports, Nature, Dining, Transportation, the Lake - all are available. If not done already, get yourself preapproved. Are you familiar at all? If not, come for an extended weekend and see for yourself the magnificent homes/condos that your price range will provide.

Should you need an help, I would be glad to assist.
Edward Graba…, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Oct 15, 2012
Hi Eric,

I moved to Chicago twelve years ago and thoroughly researched the various neighborhoods before I bought my first condo here. Should you like to discuss the opportunities in the "Windy City" feel free to give me a call, or send me an email.

My best,

Ed

--
Edward Grabarek
Broker/Realtor
Real People Realty
Cell: 312.339.9468
Fax: 312.377.1962
EdGrabarek@gmail.com
http://www.MyNewInvestment.com
Seth Captain, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sun Oct 14, 2012
This is so impressive. I had no idea millionaires used Trulia to learn about a neighborhood. I guess I was naive to assume that the ability to afford a million dollar home would eliminate one's use of Trulia. I always like to see the 1% and the 99% bond.

If you put the right amount of zero's in your price range, there is no neighborhood you can't afford in Chicago. But before you plunk that much money down on a property, consider subletting or getting a corporate apartment for a few months so you can get to know the city. Each Chicago neighborhood, and often times, block, has it's own character and only your wandering and inquisitiveness will lead you to that place.

In your budget, you might enjoy some of the fine evening establishments in the triangular area on Rush Street, a bit south of Division.

Cindy Wilson, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sun Oct 14, 2012
Agents, sounds like we've been had. Look at his profile and see how many cities he contacted on Friday. Please don't waste any more of your valuable time!
JIM Michaels, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sun Oct 14, 2012
Eric send me an email at jmichaels@remax.net and I will send you listing that meet your specification
Sari Levy, Agent, Addison, IL
Fri Oct 12, 2012
Well, this question is much more complicated than can be done justice to in a forum like this. It depends on too many factors in addition to the entertainment criteria you listed: schools, public transportation, SFH vs. condos vs. townhomes, lakefront, neighborhood feel. There are probably a dozen neighborhoods that could work for you. I'd be happy to talk to you if you are interested. I can be reached at 312-738-0232 and we share our commission with our buyers. In your price range that could be worth at least $15K and we still provide full service.
Web Reference:  http://LucidRealty.com
this is a fake question - check out his other so called questions on his profile.......apparently he is moving all over the contry!!
Flag Sat Oct 13, 2012
Josh Weinberg…, Agent, Chicago, IL
Fri Oct 12, 2012
As a lot of people have already stated, there are a lot of great neighborhoods in Chicago. It really depends on what is most important to you and what you are looking for. If you would like to discuss in more detail or have any questions, please feel free to email me.

Have a great weekend!

Josh Weinberg
Weinberg Choi Realty
josh@weinbergchoirealty.com
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Fri Oct 12, 2012
This is not a Fair Housing Act issue. It is not steering.
Dirk Gould, Agent, Chicago, IL
Fri Oct 12, 2012
I think you should look for a short term rental. That way, you will have time to learn about different neighborhoods by going out to restaurants, bars, etc. There is no reason to shell out $1.2-$1.5 based on advice of real estate agents online. You will figure out the right neighborhood after spending some time here. I would be happy to be your guide once you arrive. Let me know how I can help.
Timothy Gall…, Agent, Orland Park, IL
Fri Oct 12, 2012
As you can see, in your price range you have tons of options. And tons of agents ready to help you out. I am currently working with a client from California. She is missing the ocean but we are looking at places close to the lakefront. Great outdoor space and bike paths. When are you thinking of moving? Have you been in a winter location before? Feel free to contact me if you want to talk more about all that Chicago offers.
Best of luck,
Tim Gallagher
Jennifer Tap…, Agent, Chicago, IL
Fri Oct 12, 2012
Unfortunately, realtors cannot and should not steer you to specific direction. There are several different areas in Chicago that offer all that you are looking for. I would suggest asking friends, family, and coworkers that live in or who have lived in Chicago to offer their thoughts and opinions, since they know you best. In addition, there are a number of websites that offer information and trends on the different areas of Chicago.

Also, visiting Chicago and touring the different areas during the day and evening would be beneficial to you as well.
Sari Levy, Agent, Addison, IL
Fri Oct 12, 2012
Eric, how many places are you moving to? Your profile says you are moving to a dozen cities!
Web Reference:  http://LucidRealty.com
I'm *considering* moving to 19 cities, to be exact!
Flag Fri Oct 12, 2012
Barbara Bied…, Agent, Chicago, IL
Fri Oct 12, 2012
In your price range, you can pretty much look at downtown, Lincoln Pk, Lakeview, Bucktown, Wicker Pk, Gold Coast, Streeterville, River North, South Loop - all of which fit the bill of your criteria so far. Next, I'd need to know what type of place you prefer - high rises, vintage, new construction, lofts, etc. Call or email me at 773-914-5309 or bbiederman@citypointrealty.com.

Barbara Biederman
City Point Realty
Edward Graba…, Agent, Chicago, IL
Fri Oct 12, 2012
Hello Eric,

The River North and Streeterville areas will give you the best of what Chicago has to offer....great restaurants, shopping, and nightlife ! Good luck with your search, and please let me know if I can assist.

My best,

Ed

--
Edward Grabarek
Broker/Realtor
Real People Realty
Cell: 312.339.9468
Fax: 312.377.1962
EdGrabarek@gmail.com
http://www.MyNewInvestment.com
Sam Stewart, Agent, Chicago, IL
Fri Oct 12, 2012
Eric -

From what you'ce said, it sounds like Lincoln Park, Gold Coast, Old Town, Wicker Park, Bucktown, the West Loop and the South Loop neighborhoods might be good for you. Are you looking more for a condo or town home, or single family home? I'd be happy to help you find the perfect place for you, I can be reached at 773-930-8101.

Sam Stewart
Goldberg and Perl Realtors
Philip Sencer, Agent, Chicago, IL
Fri Oct 12, 2012
I think you might want to rent for a while before buying. No one on this site can tell you what you need to find out on your own. We can guide you somewhat. Where do you work? That might play a part. If you do not have any friends/family or coworkers who are familiar with the city then perhaps your new coworkers can help once you arrive.
If you go just by demographics then you might want to be in the near North/Gold Coast/River West/River north/Old Town/Lincoln Park/Lakeview neighborhoods because 1M fits in with those areas and they are near all the 'action' spots, depending on what you consider 'action'.
You can rent a furnished corporate suite by the month, but an unfurnished unit is almost always rented by the year. If I can help you find someplace to buy eventually I gave a 20% Rebate on my share of the commisson. My web site has details.
Matt Laricy, Agent, Chicago, IL
Fri Oct 12, 2012
I would get a good agent to help you out. There is a lot more we would need to know. I would interview two or three agents and go with the one you mesh best with. I would be happy to help.
Jesse McGrath, Agent, Chicago, IL
Fri Oct 12, 2012
Please email me for an up to date Chicago Real Estate Market Report and Neighborhood Guide.
Jesse McGrath
@properties
312-545-2775
jmcgrath@atproperties.com
Matt Bukovy, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Chicago, IL
Fri Oct 12, 2012
Wow. You're either a Realtor's dream, or you're a "shopper" trying to hand out fines for "red-lining". In any event, I'm sure that by the time I'm done typing MY response, that 6 realtors will tell you that they can't offer advice on neighborhoods.

However, I'm a loan officer, and, as far as I know, I'm allowed to offer certain opinions, and since I am a lifelong Chicagoan, as well as a fun and trendy guy, if you'd like to give me a call, please do so.

Matt Bukovy
Wintrust Mortgage
773-416-7107

And, if you're looking for financing, you can start the process at my website.

Thanks!
Web Reference:  http://www.mattbukovy.com
Let's go with the first one. I'm simply looking for neighborhoods that best suit my needs, and I figured real estate agents would be my best bet as I am looking to move to an entirely new city.
Flag Fri Oct 12, 2012
Cindy Wilson, Agent, Chicago, IL
Fri Oct 12, 2012
You will be very popular! Ideally, you need to start with your workplace and work backwards from there. If you'll be downtown, will you commute by public transportation or will you drive? If your office is in a suburb, which highway will you be using? These are questions that have a great deal of bearing on where you might choose to live. Chicago is a city of neighborhoods, so finding great restaurants and a good quality of life is easy, but transportation needs are critical. I moved here from DC and reverse commuted out of the city for several years, so I'm well attuned to the needs of someone relocating here. If you'd like to discuss more and explore your options, I'd love to assist. I've been happy to call Chicago home for 20 years now.

Cindy Wilson
Koenig & Strey
cwilson@koenigstrey.com
Jorge Vega, Agent, Chicago, IL
Fri Oct 12, 2012
Eric,

There are plenty of fun and exciting neighborhoods in Chicago and in order to get a feel of them you have to take the time to visit them. I suggest you get yourself a buyers agent, interview two or three to see if you are willing to work with them in finding your home. Make sure they take you around visiting the different neighborhoods that match your personality. Good luck!
Simir Shah, Agent, Chicago, IL
Fri Oct 12, 2012
Eric,
will you be considering Condos or just Single Family homes. If you are considering condos River North, Gold Coast and Streeterville has a lot of what you are looking for if you you are thinking Single Family homes in that price range you get something real nice in Lincoln Park or Buck Town and still be close to all the night life. Call me at 312 970 0289 and we can talk about your options.

Simir Shah
Publix Realty