Moving from Cupertino to San Ramon, Windermere - is it a good idea - I work in San Francisco.

Asked by Ravi, San Ramon, CA Mon Sep 13, 2010

I currently rent in Cupertino and my children go to the best schools here and it will take 6-8 months to move to San Ramon when school year is over. Is it a right thing to buy a home now and take the headache of renting it out to cover the mortgage or wait until children school gets over next year i.e. don't rush now even if maybe good deal and wait until summer ?

Also we really love Cupertino as everything is nearby here i.e. kids music classes, tennis, etc. and not sure if moving to the East Bay is a good idea.

Please advise.

Answers

11
Meena Gujral, Agent, Pleasanton, CA
Tue Mar 1, 2011
Hi Ravi,

There are so many people moving from the Santa Clara County to San Ramon. You can get a lot more for your money in San Ramon - a bigger and newer house, bigger lot and excellent schools. Of course, you have to be comfortable with the commute. You can certainly take BART from Dublin/Pleasanton station to San Francisco so you don't have to deal with the freeway traffic.

At this time I have 4 clients looking in San Ramon. There are some really good deals in Windermere and Gale Ranch. Prices have come down a lot and buyers can see the great deals they can get now. Most properties are selling with multiple offers. We just wrote an offer at asking price on a property listed for $907K in Windermere San Ramon and it sold with 22 offers most of them above asking price.

As far as waiting till end of school year, if you are looking at a short sale property, it can take 2-4 months (maybe more) for a short sale approval. So by the time you end up closing the deal, it may be the end of the school year anyways. So you may want to start the search now.

As far as kids and their music lessoins etc., Windermere is a very family orientated comuunity with so much going on. As a matter of fact there are many dance schools in Dublin( teaching Bhangra, Bolywood, Kathak and Bharat Natyam). There are in home music and singing lessons available.

I used to live in the San Mateo County for 18 years and moved to the East Bay in 2000. I used to wonder how I would get used to the changes, but believe me, it is the best thing I ever did. My daughter had more exposure to dance classes ( Bhangra, Bollywood, jazz, Hip Hop), singing lessons, soccer, Tennis, basket ball, swimming and horse back riding in the East Bay than in the San Mateo County.

If I can be of any help in showing you homes in Windermere or Gale Ranch or anywher in the East Bay, you can reach me at 925-425-9491

Meena Gujral
http://www.helpusellachievers.com
Waseem Sufi, Agent, Livermore, CA
Mon Sep 13, 2010
Every place is unique and has its positive and negative points. I suggest to talk to friends who may be living there already and pay visits to areas that you are thinking of. Check out areas, traffic, weather, areas of interest, schools, parks, how does it feel, etc. After all you will need to live there and you want to be certain that you are ok with it.

Also, no need to rush now and get yourself into a bind. I would suggest to take your time and do your research on areas first.

Waseem Sufi.
Willie, , 94513
Tue May 29, 2012
If you love Cupertino, don't move. SR is a sleeping community and everything is very pricey.

But if you like the hot weather and living on the edge of mountains, SR is the place for ya.

Btw, most of the schools have long waiting lists for home schools. Enjoy the driving.
l.sanramon@y…, Home Buyer, San Ramon, CA
Mon May 21, 2012
Stay in Cupertino. I wouldn't recommend your moving to San Ramon especially since you say you love Cupertino already.
Michael, Home Buyer, San Ramon, CA
Thu Jan 6, 2011
Windemere-Brookfield,

You don't understand the first rule of real estate investing: LOCATION. You can move to Stockton or the central valley and get a huge house with good air quality. Cupertino will always retain it's value better than Windemere.
It's close to all the major high tech companies, especially ones that are growing like crazy like Apple.

There are hardly any good high tech companies or growing companies around San Ramon to support the kind of value retention or growth in the South Bay. It's like comparing Oakland to San Francisco. Even if Oakland has new homes and provide a better value, it's never going to be San Francisco.
Windemere- B…, Home Buyer, San Ramon, CA
Sat Jan 1, 2011
We moved into a Windemere home in 2009 with 3 kids and could not be happier. 4K+ SQ feet with parks nearby. I travel to S. Bay on business.

Curpertino was too crowed for us. 1st thing you will notice moving to this newer neighborhood is the air quality and you will feel like you are on vacation in a spacious house. San Ramon high schools all are highly rated so they all dont HAVE to go to that one school, like Fremont Mission high is the only good high school in Fremont.

That is why I see this trend to continue and sold off a couple S. Bay properties to buy at Windemere. We still own 4 rentals in S. Bay.
Steven Ornel…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Tue Sep 14, 2010
Hi Rajesh, given the unstable state of the housing market, I believe a more prudent move would be to save your cash, avoid the stress and hassle of finding/managing tenants, and using the next 6-8 months objectively studying where you DEFINITELY want to live.

Buying a home is a significant financial move, so take the time to perform your due diligence – you will be glad you did!

Best, Steve
Bernard Gibb…, Agent, Danville, CA
Tue Sep 14, 2010
Hello Rajesh:

As others have said, Lamorinda would probably be better for your needs in many ways but home prices are higher there than they are in San Ramon. Still, you would save money on gas and/or BART fares.

But perhaps you prefer newer homes. San Ramon is the only one of the areas mentioned with recently built housing developments. Wit that in mind, perhaps your options are to either move to San Ramon or stay in Cupertino.

I would not imagine that commuting to San Francisco from San Ramon is any worse than from Cupertino. With regard to whether this is a better time to buy than some time next year, nobody can say for sure. Home prices could go up, down or stay the same as they are. Personally, I think any movement will not be dramatic, which ever way it goes. The only thing you can bank on is that interest rates will be higher this time next year so it could be more affordable to move now rather than later.

Bernard Gibbons

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Bernard Gibbons, J. Rockcliff Realtors
DRE License # 01331583
Phone (925) 997-1585 - bernard@bernardgibbons.com
Michelle Tho…, Agent, El Dorado Hills, CA
Tue Sep 14, 2010
If you love Cupertino and your kids are settled then why move? If you want to take advantage of the great prices and low interest rates, then invest in rentals. I am not sure about your area, but here you can buy a home in the Sacramento area under $200k. (Rosemont area in Sacramento is an example) Put 20% down, someone else makes your mortgage payment, and in 15 years you have a home free and clear with cash flow coming in. In 15 years, when my husband retires we will hopefully have 4 rentals with $50000 cash flow plus any appreciation. We are not excited to be land lords but with the economy the way it is, we need a retirement plan as our 401k took a nice hit. Yes, it will be a part time job but there is no free money out there :) Just a thought...........

Michelle
Lyon Real Estate
916-804-2981
DRE 01850154
Barbara Wils…, Agent, Danville, CA
Mon Sep 13, 2010
Windemere can be a good choice, but the school scores in the rest of San Ramon, Danville, and Alamo are similar with lower property taxes. Lamorinda, also known as Lafayette, Moraga, and Orinda, would be better for your commute, and also have excellent schools. The Montclair and Rockridge areas of Oakland are great for your commute, have great leesons, but you would probably prefer to have your kids in private school. There are lots of choices, and the best deals for buyers are now. Sellers selling now are more interested in selling, and therefore are more willing to negotiate. I think there are great choices - I've lived throughout the east bay from Piedmont and Oakland to Orinda and San Ramon, for 20 years, with kids. Let's talk about what is really important to you, how much commute time you are willing to spend, and then narrow down the communities....
Heba Rayan, Agent, Danville, CA
Mon Sep 13, 2010
Lafayette, Walnut Creek and Pleasanton have BARTand many aminities for families as well. The schools are excellent too. Those 3 cities probably will be more convenient for your job .
As for what is good time to buy, this is buyer's decision. It isall about good timing for the buyer "financial wise and personal situation all together". If you do not have a Realtor, I would like to help you find the home that will fit your needs, feel free to contact me for more information.

Heba Rayan
COLDWELL BANKER
Tel.: 925-216-3006
Fax.: 925-208-2933
Email: heba@calfineliving.com
Department of Real Estate
DRE License # 01722870