Moving Oklahoma City West in June. Work is at the corner of S Morgan Rd and W Reno. What are the best school districts in a 15 miles radius?

Asked by Elle, Binghamton, NY Fri Mar 28, 2014

My husband is moving next month. We have two children and will be moving once school is out. We are in Upstate NY right now. How are the Mustang and Yukon neighborhoods? We are looking for a safe and great place for our kids but also close to work. We plan on buying a house in the next three months with some acreage (1 acres) for gardening and poultry. I am worried about the weather (Tornados, storms, earthquakes) and am wondering how frequent they are and if the house should have a storm shelter.

Answers

9
Tracie Buchanan Quine’s answer
Tracie Bucha…, Home Buyer, Pittsburgh, PA
Wed Apr 23, 2014
Yukon has good schools. Mustang school are not terrible but Yukon schools are better. Stay out of okc schools. Awful. Get a house with a cellar or stormshelter if any kind of weather freaks you out bc we have a lot of it. I Love the storms. The "earthquakes" are slight and I have only every felt 1. If they were bad enough to worry you they would be on the news so I would let that fear go. The people are friendly down here; you will like the schools better bc there isn't all that liberal crap of the state and schools telling parents what they can and cannot do with their children.
Wed Apr 2, 2014
Moore is, hands down, the best schools with Norman and then Yukon and Edmond being second and third (tied) in my opinion. Edmond schools are full of snobby kids though so unless your children are stuck up I would aim for a different area then Edmond. My children all went to Moore and I have friends with kids in Norman, Shawnee, Yukon, and Mustang. My advice is to stay out of the Oklahoma City schools at all costs. I think you will be surprised at how much you like the friendliness of the people here and the parents have much more say in what schools do with their children down here. Yes, your home should have a storm shelter if you are scared of storms. Storms are frequent in this area no matter where you live. I advise you to use Kathleen Forrest and her team for home purchase.
Moore, Norman, and Yukon are all good schools. If the quality of education is very important to you, Edmond and Deer Creek are your best schools academically. They have caring qualified teachers, excellent facilities and consistently produce the most merit scholars and score highest on all tests. The children are no more stuck up than anywhere else. You will find those children in any school, if you are looking for them. Unfortunately the Oklahoma City should be avoided. They are trying to make improvements, but they have many years and much to improve before that will ever happen.
Flag Sat May 10, 2014
Josh Barnett, Agent, Chandler, OK
Fri Jul 4, 2014
Elle, any updates, have you found your new home?
Janel Randall, Agent, Edmond, OK
Mon Jun 23, 2014
Yukon and Mustang are prosperously growing right now. You have picked great area and a great time to come to Oklahoma. I wouldn't worry about the weather so much. However, a storm shelter is always great for peace of mind. I am a transplant from Louisiana and have been here since 2005. I have used my shelter, at most, 5 times since I have been here. Just learn from the locals. They will look out for you and guide you on what to do. The weather teams are also top notch. Safe travels and good luck in your home search.
Sharon Castl…, Agent, Edmond, OK
Thu Jun 19, 2014
Elle,

I understand being a little uneasy about the weather here, I am originally from Florida. I can assure you that we have great weathermen who keep us posted. Also, the National Weather Service is in Norman, OK - we always have plenty of warning and this year the storm season as been very mild! I would agree getting a storm shelter would help with your piece of mind. As far as the schools Mustang, Moore, Edmond are some of the best school systems in Oklahoma. There are some great homes available, would be happy to help anyway I can!

You will love Oklahoma!

Sharon Castles
Agent at Metro First Realty of Edmond
Edmond, OK
(405) 592-4747
Josh Barnett, Agent, Chandler, OK
Thu Jun 5, 2014
Norman, Moore, Mustang, Yukon are all good choices, schedule a interview with the principles to get a feel for the schools.
Kris Frisby, Agent, Edmond, OK
Tue Jun 3, 2014
This tornado season has been mild thus far but w are not out of the woods yet! Mustang and Yukon are both growing at a good pace and property vales there are respectable. You can check ratemyschool.com to see about school ratings. Depending how close you want to be (I know you said close) you could also check out Edmond and Deer Creek schools. They are a little further away, but still very good.
Melissa Dana, Agent, Oklahoma City, OK
Mon May 26, 2014
Mustang and Yukon school districts are both good.

The tornado season is upon us but so far has been mild. Tornado shelters are in high demand but are really quick to install once you have an appointed time (typically about 24 hours).

Our crew would be happy to help you find a home if you are still looking. Good luck.
Josh Barnett, Agent, Chandler, OK
Tue Apr 22, 2014
Mustang and Yukon are great schools. My Crew and I are here to help in your home search. Let us know if you would like a search set up with the above characteristics.