Mortgage - no credit, but great job?

Asked by Buyingahouse2012, 06516 Sun Apr 15, 2012

My and my husband moved to the US several years ago and don't have any credit history. We would like to buy a home in West Haven or Naugatuck, but are not sure whether we would be approved for a mortgage.

As I said, we have no credit score/history, but my husband has a well-paying job ($70K/year) and we own a business that brings in additional $20K-$25K/year). We also have several bills that we've been paying over the years (including rent) that show that we're responsible.

So my question is - are there any lenders that would give us a mortgage based on this? Thank you all in advance!

Answers

5
Mary-Ann Whi…, Agent, Orange, CT
Wed Jan 2, 2013
You need to work with a reputable mortgage company and they will guide you through the process. The bills you have been paying - including rent will definitely help in the process. If you would like recommendations please email me at realestatemawhite@hotmail.com. I am a realtor with Coldwell Banker and would be happy to assist you in finding a home that you can afford. I live in West Haven and I am very familiar with Naugatuck. Look forward to hearing from you. Mary-Ann White
David Carr, Agent, North Haven, CT
Mon Apr 16, 2012
.........CREDIT REPORTS.....Go to freecreditreport.com to either 1)order your your free credit or 2)Get the phone number to call one of three three agencies (TRW/Equifax/TransUnion) once a year. Order one each 4 months ;0)
David Carr, Agent, North Haven, CT
Mon Apr 16, 2012
The best way to build credit is 1) do not use a debit card (they do nothing for you but help your bank) and 2) use a credit card for gas/ food and regular bills, then pay the balance off each month. Get four credit cards as soon as possible and use one per month. If you can not get a visa/mastercharge start with a gas gard or a sears/depsrtment store card. Do Not Buy Things you can not pay in full. Do not be late. Do not cary a balance. Your credit score will rise like bubbles in a glass of champagne........DaveCarr......203.654.2905
John Poulsen, Agent, Milford, CT
Sun Apr 15, 2012
Good Evening!
Great question! My question to you would be how do you know that you have no credit score? Some bills that you pay may show up on your credit even if they are not installment loans, credit cards or mortgages. The electric company in Greater New Haven, United Illuminating or UI reports payments to the credit bureau.
Credit history is something that you should build if you really have no history. Easiest way is through a credit card or car loan.
You can also buy a home with owner financing but they are hard to find. Your best way to find out about your credit is to talk to a lender to see if you can get pre-approved. They can do a credit check which should not hurt your credit if you have not done it too many times recently such as two years.

Hope this helps,
John Poulsen
203-494-9830
Carbutti and Co Realtors
Dan Ross, Agent, Southington, CT
Sun Apr 15, 2012
You need to talk to a mortgage broker. With some payment history from bills, you may qualify, but only a lender can say for sure after looking at your whole situation. If you don't already have a good broker, I suggest contacting Justin Hardgrove. (860) 202-7740. He is very knowledgable and good at what he does. If anyone can get you a loan, he will.

If you need any assistance finding a home, feel free to contact me dan@danrossre.net

Good Luck

Dan