Modular homes in High Income Areas- Good, bad, what's your take?

Asked by Owner, 07021 Tue Nov 20, 2007

Answers

10
George Antonopoulos’ answer
George Anton…, Agent, Madison, CT
Thu Nov 22, 2007
Hi owner,

Actually, these homes have been built to withstand the twisting and turning that comes with hauling them from the "factory" to the home site.

We have a couple of high end homes that are modular going up on the shore here in Connecticut.
and they look great.

George Antonopoulos
Coldwell Banker
800.759.6936
Madison, Connecticut
Melissa Peet, , New Milford, CT
Tue Nov 20, 2007
Hi Home Seller in 07021.

Today's modular homes are not the modular homes of the past. There are in fact, many benefits of going the modular route as opposed to your traditional stick built homes, not only the cost savings factor. One of the main benefits are the fact that the homes are built in an indoor factory and not subjected to the external weather ailments that may cause delays and a long list of other problems that outdoor builders endure.

Some things to consider, homes in the neighborhood should remain in keeping with a similair style and size. Putting the largest 4 BR colonial on a street with ranches won't help your resale value. Other factors to consider include site access to the lot, will they be able to get your new home down the street? I would say as long as the homes in the neighborhood are not truly unique in style, a modular home is a great affordable way to increase your purchasing power.

If there is a local factory in your area, many will offer free tours, to see a sample advertisement for Westchester Modular Homes in New York, you can check out the following link
http://www.myahaccess.com/westchestermodular.html

Melissa Peet
Jim Walker, Agent, Carmichael, CA
Wed Nov 21, 2007
Melissa has a good point about the advances in modular home design.
Dwell Magazine has showcased some very high end modulars:

http://www.dwell.com/daily/magazine
George Bakes, , Del Mar, CA
Fri Oct 21, 2011
Owner:

Modular homes are only as good as the contractor that "pieces" the house together. All things being equal, modular homes do have certain advantages over stick built, namely, less or no shrinkage and settling as you may experience with a stick built home. The other consideration is that, generally speaking, modular homes are less expensive to build, certainly on a per square foot cost basis.

Having said that, if a home owner is willing to invest several million dollars in a home, it would best to interview several local builders and architects to see what they think of modular vs. stick built construction. I don't think one is necessarily better than the other, but if the home owner demands alot of "personal touches" and a significant amount of "custom work", I would definitely recommend stick built...you won't get as much customization with modular construction.

Hope this helps.

If you need any additional information, please contact me at george.bakes@cbmoves.com

Thank you.

George Bakes
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
Web Reference:  http://www.georgebakes.net
Richard Bre…, Agent, GREENWICH, CT
Sat Oct 15, 2011
Modular homes are growing in popularity. There has been many technological advances in modular construction. High end modular construction is custom most of the time and can be very hard to distinguish from stick built nowadays. It really comes down to preference. Many multi million dollar modular homes have sold in the area and will continue to sell!
Robin Kencel, Agent, Greenwich, CT
Tue Sep 14, 2010
Good! Modular homes do not necessarily mean poorly built...
Web Reference:  http://www.scottelwell.com
Karen Brewer, Agent, Darien, CT
Thu Dec 13, 2007
I am an agent in darien Ct where the average sale price is creeping up on $2million. Most homes continue to be stick built but only beacause modular carries a negative conotation.We have a home on the market for over $2million which is modular if you wish to see it.Id say there are about a dozen or so in town.They can be customized beautifully and dont deserve to be "dissed"

Karen Brewer
William Pitt Sothebys International Realty
Darien Ct
203-554-0951
kmbrewer2@aol.com
Mike Kelly A…, Agent, Santa Rosa, CA
Thu Nov 22, 2007
I kind of agree. Here in our County if you can prove the "existence" of a mobile home prior to a certain date you can replace it with another "like kind" structure. These means modulars. I had this happen on a property in the country where a client replaced an old double wide mobile with a gorgeous modular replete with high end kitchen and custom features throughout. The zoning allowed two residences and the primary house was pretty spectacular after they re-habbed it.
However, it STILL is a modular! And no one is more fickle sometimes than the high-end marketplace. Disclosing the home was not built on site could be a sticky issue and one I feel should be disclosed. This would in my opinion discount the value of said modular. Now if it was a guest unit or "granny" this might not have the impact of say a primary residence.
We have a whole subdivision of modular's which was built back in the early 80's here in Santa Rosa, California and when you drive through there you KNOW they are modular! I think the application would work very well in the country. My wife and I have toyed with some of the smaller units for a second home on some land we are eyeing up north.
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Thu Nov 22, 2007
Hello Owner:

I was quite faciniated by this article in San Francisco Chronicle a few months back.

After reading that article I can see that module homes can definitely be something to be desired, even in a hihg income are; I guess you will just have to work through the normal reaction that comes with it. .

Sylvia

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/08/05/…
Artur Urbans…, Agent, Burlingame, CA
Tue Nov 20, 2007
Hi, that' a very good question. One of my quite accomplished agents just decided to abandon his practice on very expensive SF Peninsula and to specialize in selling modular home on behalf of a company in Utah. His market is in several states and I have seen some clients looking for lots for modular homes as far West as in the East Bay area. However, I have not seen yet anyone putting them on the expensive lots of the Peninsula.
Web Reference:  http://www.cimpler.com