Marriage & $8,000 Tax Credit Questions

Asked by Dtrigg, Anchorage, AK Wed Sep 30, 2009

What are the clear and official rules on being a married couple when you get the $8,000 tax credit? My fiancee and I are going to get married, but do we have to be an official married couple before we put in the offer on the house, or do we have to be married before the house closes? Or is it you have to be married before you do your taxes? I couldn't find anything on the IRS website, and we don't mind going down to City Hall and getting officially married in order to get that credit if we can, and having a wedding later.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Sat Oct 3, 2009
Best confer with CPA trying understand government guidelines.

You receive annual tax benefit entire time you own a home

National Featured Realtor and Consultant, Texas Mortgage Loan Officer, Credit Repair Lecturer
Follow me on Twitter:
0 votes
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Fri Oct 2, 2009

The answers to most commonly asked "Tax Credit" questions can be found on the following website:
0 votes
Pauline Hofs…, , Anchorage, AK
Thu Oct 1, 2009
Two things are sure. You have to be a first time home buyer to file for the $8,000 credit. If you are married, both of you need to be first time home buyers to get the credit. As far as getting married before or after you enter into an agreement, check with a tax person. You'll want to do that anyway in preparation for your marriage. Another important point is that your transaction must be recorded by November 30, 2009, and both mortgage and title companies will be slammed the month of November. So don't wait.
0 votes
Todd Held, Agent, Anchorage, AK
Thu Oct 1, 2009
In reading the ACTUAL IRS form, it says nothing about when you were married. It does have an exclusion for married filing seperately. My opinion as a REALTOR NOT A TAX ADVISER would be at the time you are filing your taxes you need to be married.
0 votes
Voices Member, , Benton County, OR
Thu Oct 1, 2009
Some info from the IRS site...
You can check with a IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center ...

There is a Center in Anchorage.. The contact info is..
Anchorage Monday-Friday - 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.
949 E. 36th Ave.
Anchorage, AK 99508
907) 271-6391
Some of the services provided for Free..Solutions to Tax Issues...Procedural Inquiries...Tax Law Assistance (answers related to your individual Federal Tax Return) ..Tax Forms

Here's a link for your local office and all the information above and more about receiving help,,id=98253,00.html

Good luck, Dunes
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more