Manufactured and wood-frame homes in Florida?

Asked by Thanks In Advance!, Boca Raton, FL Sat Jan 19, 2013

I am considering (among other options) buying a manufactured home in a resident-owned 55 community or buying a wood frame home, but am of course aware that many in Florida advise buying concrete block.

How much of a chance am I taking of problems down the line with termites or wood rot if I have an inspection before buying and have regular treatments as needed after that? (I already know about the hurricane and insurance issues; am seeking more info specifically about termite damage risks.)

In your experience, do a lot of real estate deals fall through on these homes because of termite inspections? Or is it possible but relatively rare?

Also, is there a difference in risk between manufactured homes and wood-frame site-built homes--for instance, does the fact that manufactured homes are usually up off the ground make any difference in risk?

Answers

1
Stephen McRo…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Tampa, FL
Sat Jan 19, 2013
-
Do yourself a favor and stay away from Trailers and Termite Palaces!

Go find yourself a normal house that you can get the best financing on, that will actually appreciate, that is not going to be a money pit!

===