Lot feasibility

Asked by Ms. Prompt, California Mon Aug 13, 2007

I am considering buying a small Cape Cod property on which sits an old cottage. My intent is to buy it and rip down the old place and build a new place. How do I find out the feasibility of the lot? It is small, and hte new sceptic will occupy much of the land. The back side abuts a steep ravine that terminates in wetland. My greatest fear is buying the property and finding out after the fact that my options are severly limited. Do I hire an engineer? An architect? A builder?

Answers

1
Vicki Masell…, Agent, Duluth, GA
Mon Aug 13, 2007
Great question, Mrs. Prompt. I have been down this road with clients in the past. My best (and most economical) recommendation is to pay your local city or county planning & zoning department a visit. Give them the property address as well as an outline of your plans. Each area may have different criteria and process for reviewing plans; however, they should be able to explain the application and approval process as well as associated fees. In some cases, you may also need to visit the water & sewer department for their input and guidance. The best part is, it should not cost you anything extra to speak with one of their engineers or staff personnel.
Web Reference:  http://MyGeorgiaHomes.com