Looking to purchase a single-family home for June move. Preferrably in Squirrel Hill, Point Breeze, Shady Side, or Highland Park areas.

Asked by Rachael Viehman, Los Angeles, CA Fri Nov 16, 2012

When should we start seriously looking at homes given we don't want to move in until June and would prefer not to take on mortgage payments sooner than that as we will still be paying rent at our current place? Looking to relocate our family with a 2 yr. old and hopefully another little one in the next year or so, would like to target homes with Fulton, Colfax or Liberty as the neighborhood elementary school.

Answers

9
Janice Caputo, Agent, Pittsburgh, PA
Sun Nov 18, 2012
Call or text me 412 596 6035
Joann Snyder, Agent, Coraopolis, PA
Sat Nov 17, 2012

I would be glad to send you more information and home selections for the area you want. Please send me your email address for prompt comumication.

What is your comfort level as far as price, and minimum requirement for the home?

jsnyder@prudentialpreferred.com 412-298-2940
Robin Finger…, Agent, Moon township, PA
Sat Nov 17, 2012
Rachael:

It's nice to know that families are moving into Pittsburgh. It is a wonderful place to raise a family and establish new roots.

All the agents below have provided great information regarding your search for homes here.

I'll be brief!

I grew up in the east, Squirrel Hill to be specific, and am very familiar with all the areas you may have interest in purchasing a home.

I would love the opportunity to talk with you and and guide you through the home buying process here.

Please fell free to call/text me anytime.

Robin Fingeret-Zinger
Northwood Realty Services
3rd Year Recipient -Top Agent in Customer Service voted by Pittsburgh Magazine
412-915-2452 cell
rzinger@northwood.com
Lisa George, Agent, Pittsburgh, PA
Sat Nov 17, 2012
Rachael,

Congratulations on deciding to make the move to the City of Pittsburgh! I would agree with the majority of the answers below. The process takes about 60 days from start to finish. If you want to be in your new home in June, I would say you want to seriously start looking late January to early February. Inventory will be limited at this time of year, but more options will surface as Spring gets closer. I don't think it's ever too early to start browsing to get an idea of what you really like and what areas you like. Another important part is getting pre-approved by a local mortgage broker. I can give you a name of a loan officer that I work with. She is extremely patient and understanding. Her name is Leslie Raymond. She can be reached at leslier@omegafsi.com or 412-719-5673. Once you are pre-approved, I would suggest contacting an agent to enroll you in an auto search. This search will look at homes available on the market and only pull those that meet your wish list critera(ie; elementary school, bedrooms, bathrooms, price, etc) The nice thing is that once you are enrolled in this search an e-mail will be sent to you once daily with all new homes that have come on to the market that also meet your criteria. This means you can spend less time searching the web for homes that might meet criteria and only look at those that meet your criteria. Let me know if this is something that you may be interested in. Best of luck in your search. I would be happy to help you through this exciting chapter in your life. Feel free to contact me anytime.

Lisa George
RE/MAX Advanced REALTORS
724-513-1253
lisageorge@remax.net
Blair W. Coh…, Agent, Monroeville, PA
Fri Nov 16, 2012
Rachael,

If you are thinking about purchasing a home in the near future now is not not to soon to start investigating the market. Checking to see what is currently available, watching what comes on the market, getting a mortgage pre-approval to determine your buying power and a good faith estimate of the costs to purchase and close on a home. But certainly you should get real serious by February if not before. The number of homes on the market available for sale decreases as we come to the end of the year but pricing may be better as there are fewer buyers competing for homes As we get closer to Spring the supply of homes increases so there are more homes to choose from however so does the competition for homes as there are far more buyers looking which typically causes prices to increase.

I have been helping people find, negotiate and maneuver the intricate process of home buying for over 35 years and with interest rates at historic lows this is the most opportune time I have seen to buy a home. Interest rates should remain low (although they might increase a bit) and are available for qualified first time buyers as low as 2.95% for a 30 year mortgage.

If you are looking for a experienced agent please review my information on Trulia and my reviews on Zillow and contact me. I would be happy to discuss your needs and the home buying process with you.

Blair
Crystal Alfo…, Agent, Pittsburgh, PA
Fri Nov 16, 2012
If you close on a house in April, your first payment would be due June 1. So, assuming it would take you about 45-60 days to close, you could probably start to look around the end of January or beginning of February.
Properties that are in great condition have been selling quickly, so it's best not to look too early and fall in love with something that may not be there in February.
Best of luck! More info is available at our website!
Jessica Koch, Agent, Pittsburgh, PA
Fri Nov 16, 2012
Hello! First I would love to welcome you to the city! Typically a closing takes about 60 days, Howard Hanna has a wonderful program called the apartment dwellers trade in program that allows you to purchase whenever you would like as Howard Hanna will take over your rent. I would be more than happy to speak with you further and help you out in this process. I specialize in first time home buyers and can understand it can be very stressful to purchase a home and move across the country. Give me a call anytime 412-805-0853 or e-mail Jessicakoch@howardhanna.com

Good luck and i hope to hear from you soon!
x, , Pittsburgh, PA
Fri Nov 16, 2012
Hi Rachel. I'm glad your family is moving to Pittsburgh.

If you plan on financing your home purchase, it can take about 2 months to secure your loan. So you'll need to start looking no later than March in order to find a place that meets your needs.

In the meantime, local agents can set up a search for you based on your preferences. You can keep abreast of the types of homes being offered for sale, and get an idea of the prices being asked, as well as the final sales prices.

It sounds to me from your question that you're familiar with the schools in the neighborhoods. If you have relatives or friends back in Pittsburgh, they can be another set of eyes for you in your search.

Please feel free to contact me and I'll set up a search for you.
Sandra Wonch…, Agent, Pittsburgh, PA
Fri Nov 16, 2012
Hi Rachael,

It is never too early to start looking. It looks like you will be moving from L.A. so your time to tour homes will most likely be somewhat limited. I am happy to help you find a home that you and your family will love. Pittsburgh is such a great place to raise a family, too. Traditionally, many new homes come on the market in the spring. As far as moving in June, closing dates can be negotiated. Please let me know when you will be in town next and I will be happy to set up tours of homes on the market.