Looking to buy new construction in Milton high in Alpharetta. How do you find sale prices of homes recently sold in a new construction?

Asked by marcywhitley, Roswell, GA Tue Jun 18, 2013

Answers

9
George Cohen, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Atlanta, GA
Tue Jul 9, 2013
Marcy,

Have you been preapproved for a mortgage? I would be more than happy to assist you this process.

Feel free to contact me anytime.

George Cohen
Mortgage Banker
678.442.3401 Office
678.985.5923 Fax
770.843.5482 Cell
gcohen@brandmortgage.com
apply online: gcohen.brandmortgage.com
NMLS# 75615 | 1078450
Hank Miller, Agent, Alpharetta, GA
Wed Jun 26, 2013
You data mine, you dig in the public records and you touch base with contacts that you've established in your developer/builder network. Many new homes never make it to the MLS so data must be chased and having folks on speed dial makes life easier.

I'm an appraiser as well as associate broker, been doing this very thing since '89 and it's routine; including appraising and selling new homes all over NFulton. If you need advice, just let me know.

Hank
Web Reference:  http://www.hmtatlanta.com
Robert A Whi…, Agent, Roswell, GA
Wed Jun 26, 2013
So Marcy, did we answer your question?

Assuming you are actually in the market to buy new construction, are you ready to have an expert assist, guide, inform, and protect you in all matters...all for no cost to you?

Robert Whitfield
Broker/Owner
Professional Buyers Broker
New Home Construction Expert
ICC Code Certified Building Inspector
Advantage Realtors
678-585-9691
RobertWhitfield.com
TheHomeBuyersRep.com
Corporate Relocations | New Construction | Luxury & Investment Properties
Wendy Harper, Agent, Alpharetta, GA
Sun Jun 23, 2013
I am a certified On Sale, New Construction Homes, Sales Specialist. If the home has closed you can find the sales in the court house records and at the tax office. I also studied construction in Graduate School for 2 years so I would be happy to help you, to work with you, on your new home purchase.
Robert A Whi…, Agent, Roswell, GA
Tue Jun 18, 2013
Marcy,

I think everyone has pretty much given the same answer - hire a buyers agent. And that is good advice - actually its a no-brainer - after all, buyer agents are free.

I will up level that answer - you need to know a lot more about new construction homes than the sold prices - including many things you probably never thought about. Unlike resale homes, posting new home sales data to MLS databases (only agents and brokers can access) can be delayed significantly. There is a way to find these prices faster but that is propriety info. And with all due respect, you need to understand the data and how to apply it, and how to adjust it so you are comparing apples to apples. A DIY negotiation approach against the builders experienced agent doesn't stand much of a chance, and if they do give in on A, they will make it up on X, Y, and Z, and you likely won't even know it happened.

So bottom line, when buying a new construction home (and more so when building a new home) there are way too many ways for things to go wrong - you don't just want to hire a buyers agent, you want to find the best buyers agent you can, and one who is experienced with new home sales and preferably knows new home construction.

I just came back from checking on a home under construction for a young couple who are clients wanting to buy a new construction home in a development near Bridge Mill in Cherokee County. I am about to let them know why they don't want the new home they were considering - it is a combination of poor quality work, a nasty builders contract, a poor lot, and not such great market trends. My clients were not aware of any of this, and at best, an ordinary agent would have only caught the market stats - assuming they hired a reputable and skilled agent who cared more about the clients long term purchase performance than getting to a closing table. The contract clauses I can mitigate, but not the other things.

Robert Whitfield
Broker/Owner
Professional Buyers Broker
New Home Construction Expert
ICC Code Certified Building Inspector
Advantage Realtors
678-585-9691
RobertWhitfield.com
TheHomeBuyersRep.com
Rick Payne As…, Agent, Norcross, GA
Tue Jun 18, 2013
Good Afternoon,

You should always have a Buyer's Agent to represent you in a new home transaction. Yes, I have access to all the sold homes in any complex.

You can contact me through my profile here on Trulia.

I Look forward to hearing back from you.

Ahave a Wonderful Day,

Rick Payne
" As Seen on HGTV House Hunters "
678-427-5512
repayne7@bellsouth.net
Chuck Green, Agent, Norcross, GA
Tue Jun 18, 2013
I the home was listed it will be on the MLS database....if not listed it will be on the county's tax records though this database may run months behind the actual close date.

Chuck Green, Realtor
Chattahoochee North
chuckgreen@kw.com
678-578-2788
Katherine Mo…, Agent, Alpharetta, GA
Tue Jun 18, 2013
This is really great advice. I know it sounds self-serving coming from agents, but this is largest transaction you most likely will be making, money-wise, and employing a licensed professional to assist you is really smart.

There are so many pitfalls in buying a home, especially new construction, and a good Realtor will help you identify and avoid each one. This service should continue thru the closing, being there to assist you with the builder follow up on repairs/warranty issues.

Also, in dealing with an area that has been mostly developed and builders are developing small out parcels, you need to be aware of all the factors that affect value, including lot characteristics and housing features (to tell the features that will bring you a return on your investment vs. what items are a builder's "smoke and mirrors").

As far as researching recent sale, the county tax records will give you the data if you know what you are searching for, but Fulton County is notorious for being behind in recording deeds. Also, be aware that other on-line services quote their estimates, which are not actual prices.

Recommend you stop and interview agents, find one you trust and then proceed with your buying process.

Best wishes,

Kathy

Katherine L. Morrison, CRS
Realtor/Owner
Team Realty Group
Alpharetta, Georgia
404-697-4626 (direct)
Kathy@chipandkathy.com
Fred Yancy, Agent, Woodstock, GA
Tue Jun 18, 2013
The best answer that I can give you is to work with a real estate agent. I would never advise a home buyer to not have a buyers agent when working with a builder. The agent at the sales office is working for the builder - not for you.