Home Buying in Tallahassee>Question Details

Alladdin, Home Buyer in Pompano Beach, FL

Looking to buy investment property for students. What should I look for?

Asked by Alladdin, Pompano Beach, FL Sun Aug 5, 2012

I'm looking to invest in student housing, is there any property management company specialized in this kind of venture? Can you rent a property by the room to students? What kind of properties is popular with students? Condos, Multi-families?

There several different ways to look at buying student rental properties in today's market. You can look for properties for sale that are ready to rent when you close on the sale. That is the easiest way. But, in today's market, it may not be the way to make the most of your investment. Because of the number of Short-Sales and Foreclosures on the market, especially if they have been damaged, you can make some incredible investments. Of course you have to be prepared to recondition these properties, so I would suggest working with a knowledgeable Realtor. One who has some experience in figuring out the cost factor for you and the time frame that would be involved. Most of today's properties should have you in the black after the closing and if you can get it rented right away. You want these properties to be close to the school and close to entertainment for the students convenience. These are the properties that will get you the highest rent. Don't forget to figure in the monthly rent, a vacancy factor for the summer. I hope this answer has been of some help to you. You can give me a call and we can discuss any other questions you may have.
Lee Bridges, GRI, SFR, Realtor
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 11, 2012
Hello Alladdin,

I specialize in selling student rental properties to investors, so I would be glad to answer your questions. Condos, townhomes, or single family homes or multi-family properties could all potentially make good student rental investment properties. It just depends on the location of the property, the condition of the property, the price of the property, and what the property will rent for. Knowing this information is key when trying to decide what property to buy. I have a spreadsheet that I use that I plug that information into it that can help you determine what return you will get.

I would be glad to talk with you in more detail about helping you find a good investment property in Tallahassee. I'll also send you some information on a couple good potential student rental investment properties. Please give me a call or send me an email, and we can talk some more.

Bobby Nahoom
850 567-0037