Looking to buy a vacation home in the greater Phoenix area. What's the best way to go about finding local real estate agents?

Asked by Titi, Minneapolis, MN Fri Feb 11, 2011

I'd like to interview several agents before we proceed further.

Answers

23
Larry Cappel…, , Phoenix, AZ
Fri Feb 11, 2011
Hi Titi,

I would love the chance to earn your business. I am a full time Realtor, and I work all over greater Phoenix. Please consider me as one of your interviewees. In the mean time, you can search property on my website for free with no sign up required. All of my clients have told me that it is the best website they have seen for property searches. http://www.searchscottsdalearizonarealestate.com Enjoy! I look forward to helping you.

Larry Cappelletti
Realty USA Southwest
602-625-0438
888-434-1701
Jayson Carpe…, Agent, Mesa, AZ
Fri Feb 11, 2011
As has been mentioned above, ask for a referral from someone you know and trust. If you don't know anyone with any tie to the area, you could try to work through Linkedin.com and see what kind of reviews past clients are giving their agents.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll be fine. There are many well qualified real estate agents here in the Phoenix area.

If there is anything else that I can do or assistance I can provide please feel free to contact me. Fee free to use my site to search the MLS for home.
Web Reference:  http://www.homequestaz.com
Brenda & Ron…, Agent, Mesa, AZ
Fri Feb 11, 2011
Titi

I would suggest that you get a referral from someone you know that has worked with an agent here that they found to be outstanding.

Most of our clients come as referrals. I know this is helpful and puts their mind at ease as they know they are in good hands as friends or family have worked with us and then recommend us to them.

If you don't have a referral from someone, feel free to give us a call. We would love to assist you in your search! We have been in the business for over 22 years here in the valley and were recognized in the Phoenix Business Journal as on of the Top 50 Realtors in the Valley (in the July 2010 list).

If you would like we can set up an automated free search of homes that you will receive as they come on the market that meet your requirements. This is a good way to start to get to know what is available with your search criteria.

If you need to speak to a lender we can help you with some to contact as well.

Brenda

Brenda and Ron Cunningham
602-980-3133 / 602-499-0694
Doug McVinua, Agent, Gilbert, AZ
Fri Feb 11, 2011
Titi

I would start by identifying to some degree what area you want to buy in. Personally I know the Southeast Valley the best as I live in Gilbert and have worked the Southeast Valley for 13 years as a Realtor. Not that I don't know the other areas to a degree but if you had lots of questions about Sun City west I would need to find the answer for you. My greatest knowledge is in Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa, Queen Creek, San Tan Valley, Maricopa etc. The Valley is so large, not unlike Minneapolis. You wouldn't likely want a St Paul Realtor to help you find a home in Plymouth.

If you know the area you desire some then start with the tried and trusted who can you trust? Finding experience, trust, availability market knowledge etc will go a long way to accomplishing your goals. I would also want a full time Realtor.

I would welcome the opportunity to be included in your evaluation if you so choose.

Sincerely

Doug McVinua
HomeSmart

Arizona Homes for Sale by a Guy from Iowa
Web Reference:  http://www.McVinua.com
Matthew Remus, , Phoenix, AZ
Fri Feb 11, 2011
Hi Titi,

Referrals are the best way to find a reliable agent. If you plan on financing the purchase of your home you will need to start the process with a lender. Your lender can also be a good referral source for a real estate agent. If you are just looking to pull a name out of a hat, then you might try doing a Google search for the specific area you are looking to buy in. See what agents pop up and then look for some credibility. Blogs can say a lot about an agent. A phone conversation can say a lot more. You need to have a certain comfort level with whomever you chose to work with. I say just start somewhere and interview a few over the telephone and see if you can make that connection. Please feel free to call me anytime!

Matthew Remus
480-233-5002
Francine Ler…, , Phoenix, AZ
Fri Feb 11, 2011
Well, you've found a good way...you will get a lot of agents that are on Trulia to answer you. Now, all you have to do is pick one! I work with a small company and can offer more personalized and fast service. Most agents on this site are professional and have many things to offer a client. Good luck in your search and hope you find what you are looking for!
Stephanie We…, Agent, Gilbert, AZ
Fri Feb 11, 2011
Titi,
Click on the "FIND A PRO" up at the top of the Trulia webpage and search for agents in the area you're looking. Read the agents responses to questions and answers and look at their blogs. This will give you an idea if you don't know anyone in the area to provide a referral.
Mike Cave, Agent, Glendale, AZ
Fri Feb 11, 2011
It would be a pleasure to interview with you. I can provide references ect.
Regards
Lee, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Fri Feb 11, 2011
Here I am, at your service!
Brenda & Ron…, Agent, Mesa, AZ
Mon Feb 14, 2011
Titi,

Feel free to keep in touch periodically and if you want an automated search set up just let me know. In the meantime, feel free to search on my website:
http://www.CunninghamHomesAZ.com

If you need some information I can supply you with just let me know!

Brenda
Doug McVinua, Agent, Gilbert, AZ
Mon Feb 14, 2011
Titi

What price range are you considering investing? That may help us some in defining areas for you?

Do you want a single family home with a small yard etc or a lock and leave condo type situation? How large of a home do anticipate?

Do you want to be near anything in particular? Hospitals? Golf? Sports? Shopping? Family? Friends? Airport?

What do you do for fun?

Doug McVinua
HomeSmart

Web Reference:  http://www.McVinua.com
Titi, Home Buyer, Minneapolis, MN
Mon Feb 14, 2011
Wow! I didn't expect this many great responses. Thank you to everyone who took the time to answer and give very good suggestions. I'm in the beginning stages of looking at houses online and looking into different areas in Phoenix. Going into this is like to going out on a blind date. Hopefully I'll be able to find an insightful agent who is good at maintaining the long distance relationship while offering sound advice.
Todd Hall, Agent, Gilbert, AZ
Mon Feb 14, 2011
Pick me! Pick me!

No, seriously, I would look for someone you feel comfortable working with, and who understands your needs. There are literally thousands of great agents in the Arizona region, so you have a good chance of randomly selecting a good one ... or at least figuring out whether they're any good in a quick 5 minute phone call.

Perhaps you could pick a company (Re/Max, for example) that has been good to you in the past, and starting sifting through some of their local agent profiles.

Just a few thoughts. I'd be happy to make some recommendations (in addition to myself), if it would be any help.
Maureen Cody, , Charleston, SC
Sat Feb 12, 2011
Titi

You'll want to interview a few and settle on the Realtor that you feel will work best with you in terms of professionalism, style of communication, knowledge, comfort level....

You have a pool of agents who have already responded to your post.

Click this link for additional agents active on Trulia who work in the Phoenix area:

http://www.trulia.com/voices/directory/Phoenix_AZ-agent--295…

Best of Luck!
Maureen
Jonathan Dal…, Agent, Glendale, AZ
Sat Feb 12, 2011
If you have an agent back home, ask to see if they know anyone here. Google the areas you're looking for and see who's in those areas, check their websites to see what it is they do, they say, they know.

There's a wide, wide world outside the agents who regularly answer questions here on Trulia including many who probably won't answer "pick me, pick me" to questions like this since that's almost certainly NOT what you wanted.
Loren Hoboy, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Fri Feb 11, 2011
My team and I will be a good choice. I work with buyers from the northern states and Canada helping them find vacation homes. Given the distance, I have acted as eyes for some of my clients who elected to buy sight unseen. While not a preferred method (I like buyers to visit the home), I can send extensive picture and provide visual evaluations, market analysis and more. The best way to evaluate an agent is to get 2-3 referrals and talk to these Buyers references who used the agent to see if they got the level of service you expect and learn whether the agent knows how to work with Buyers that may have special needs. I am a firm believer that an agent that works full time (only 15% do) is more likely to be highly knowledgeable. If you plan to consider buying a short sale property, make sure the agent you select is successfully helping close short sale deal ( experience does make a difference since just 35% close). Please check out our website for more information or call 623-239-6919 up to 10pm Arizona time.
Carlos Ramir…, Agent, Mesa, AZ
Fri Feb 11, 2011
You have 17 in here to choose from, plus you can always do some Google searches. Talk to a few before making a selections and make sure you are comfortable with your agent's skills.

Carlos J. Ramirez, PC, ABR, CNE
Associate Broker/Realtor, HomeSmart -
http://www.SmartAZRealty.com
Web Reference:  http://www.SmartAZRealty.com
Brad Bergami…, Agent, Prescott, AZ
Fri Feb 11, 2011
Titi,
You are doing it. You should get some great responses from your post. Take a moment evaluate the replies. Visit websites, use the contact forms on the agents websites.(this is to gage who will be getting back to you right away or not) then interview. It is that easy. PS. You might want to delete this post once you find an agent you wish to work with, otherwise you might too many replies to deal with.
Happy Hunting,
Brad
Lucinda Tkach, , Phoenix, AZ
Fri Feb 11, 2011
I would say have an interview to besure agent fits your needs!

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Referrals would be helpful too!

The Urban Te…, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Fri Feb 11, 2011
I agree with others regarding two points.
1-- Identify the area or areas you are most interest and hire an agent with strong knowledge of that area.
2-- Get referrals from friends if possible.

I will add a few other things:
3-- HIre an agent with a minimum of 10 years experience and ask to contact their LAST 5 clients. I like to ask for recent clients so you know how they are performing today. The requirements to obtain a real estate license in Arizona are laughable. An agent who has been in the business for well over 10 years has probably done enough business to have a clue about the job and protecting your rights and interests.
4-- Hire an agent with VERY strong knowledge of short sales and bank owned homes. It is quite likely you will be looking at homes in one of both of these classifications and knowledge is tied to success.
5-- Only hire an agent whose FULL-TIME job is the practice of real estate. Today's market is no place for part time agents.

I would like to express one other bit of information. There are hundreds of real estate brokerages. Some will say they are the top brokerage in town, while some really are. Realty Executives is one such firm. For over 30 years it has ranked as the top producing firm in the Greater Phoenix area and according to Real Trends Magazine is the highest ranking brokerage in Arizona for total business volume.

Hope this helps a bit and if we can be of help to you, it would be an honor.
Web Reference:  http://www.urbanteamaz.com
Dagmar Mouri…, , Chandler, AZ
Fri Feb 11, 2011
I'm surprised not to find the obvious answer here: look who is responding to questions here on TRULIA!
Click on the Advice tab (upper menu). Then write into the search field the name of the city you are interested in. Review who has responded to questions and demonstrated local expertise. I recommend you also look at the contents of the responses- for example are the answers thoughtful, would the answers given be sufficient if you had asked the question?
Elexsis McCa…, Agent, Glendale, AZ
Fri Feb 11, 2011
I am the director of career services at West USA Realty Maricopa County most productive Real Estate Company. 30 years in the valley and number 1! I can put you in contact with a my best Realtor. Call me direct at 623.628.7375.
Web Reference:  http://www.westusa.com
Spirit Messi…, Agent, Tucson, AZ
Fri Feb 11, 2011
Ask for referrals and or references. Talk with a couple, course not all are the same. Check on Trulia and Zillow.com has profiles too. The neat thing about Zillow is they asked past clients for reviews, not relying on agents to put in their own testimonials. I have worked with several clients from Zillow and it has worked well. Either one, speak with a couple and see what they offer and if there is good "chemistry", remember normally as the buyer you do not pay for their service(S). Best of luck there are a lot of REOs in Phoenix for you to take advantage of; you can click on my profile and read my latest blog about them.

Best of luck & hope you enjoy living in Arizona.
Spirit Messingham
Tierra Antigua Realty
Tucson, AZ