Home Buying in Ashburn>Question Details

Jay, Home Buyer in Ashburn, VA

Looking to buy a town-home in/around Ashburn, VA in next few months. Where should I look for per-qualified mortgage details?

Asked by Jay, Ashburn, VA Tue Dec 20, 2011

I am on H1B since 3 years and for another 2 years. My wife is on F1 (I am not the sole sponsor for her studies) and doesn't work. I only have a car loan and no other debt with around 760 or above credit history. I would like to get in touch with some lender/realtor about getting started with the process and understanding how much can I afford, what are the restrictions for mortgage on H1B (if any) and other important factors.

Answers

9
Jay! As the person below indicates, I don't think you'll have much trouble. I am right in Leesburg and would be pleased to assist you. Please reach out to me at 703-669-3142, vchrisner@kw.com. I can connect you to trusted lenders in the area and help you start your new home search!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 20, 2011
Hi Jay,

No obligation at all so please consider contacting our own Ashburn in-office Weichert Financial Representative. Dick Opal is available to answer all your mortgage questions. Dick's number is 703-726-3909. We are here to assist you on all levels of home ownership from lending, representation, insurance to utitlity and moving. Good luck and hope to hear from you soon!

Respectfully,

PJ

703-606-1878
Web Reference: http://pjriner.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 20, 2011
Hi Jay,

I specialize in the 20148 and 20147 zip codes and work with several lenders who will answer all your questions and provide you with the quality of service you deserve.

Feel free to give me a call at 540.454.1551 or email me at eric@e4realty.com and I will provide you with their contact information. Great to see a buyer who knows how important it is to get pre-qualified first.

Thanks!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 20, 2011
Jay, I wrote some good information for you below about the mortgage process. The lenders I recommended will also be able to talk to you more about the restrictions, if any, with your visas.

1. Apply for a mortgage now. If you are qualified now, great. If not, you'll know exactly what you need to do in order to get qualified. You'll also know how much you need to save for down payment and other expenses. Use a Virginia loan officer - stay away from Internet lenders like lendingtree.com - don't even apply there. They will shotgun your application to 4 different lenders - which means they will run your credit 4 times. If you apply anywhere else after in the next 30 days or so it will cost you 4 points off your credit score. Also, don't walk into your local bank branch and apply for a mortgage. Asking for a referral to someone that a friend or family member liked and trusted is a good start. I'll also give you two lenders who will take the time to talk with you and walk you through the process. I've been working with these gentlemen for several years and trust them enough to send them my clients so I know they'll work hard for you.

Scott Livingston, scottsmortgages@aol.com
Jason Smith, jsmith@amdloans.com

2. Determine what type of loan you are going to use. Here is a summary of the main loan programs.
VA - zero down and only for veterans.
USDA - zero down and geographically limited. You can only use it in certain areas. There is a website you can use to check addresses to see if the home qualified. Great program.
Conventional - 20% down payment required.
FHA - Federally insured mortgage with only 3.5% down. This is the most popular loan program right now because its only 3.5% down. Great program.
VHDA - The Virginia Housing Development Authority has a program called FHA+ which is where the VHDA gives you a 3.5% down payment to use an FHA loan. This is a very expensive loan and I recommend you avoid it if you can. If its the only option to buy a home then use it.
FHA 203k home renovation loan - this is the most powerful loan available. It is the only loan that allows you to buy a home "as is" and include all the costs of renovations in with your mortgage. It is hands down the best way to buy a home. Instead of settling for what someone else is selling, you can just turn the home into what you want - new kitchen, new bathrooms, carpet, paint, wood floors, HVAC, etc. You can even knock down the house and build a new one with this loan program. Check out the website below for some great before/after pics and a short renovation video. After you see that, you'll want to use this loan to buy a home. Knowing about this loan makes the whole market available to you. Buyers that don't know about it are stuck in the "move in ready" mindset which limits their market and they walk out of great homes - and great deals - because they don't know how to get things done to the home as part of the mortgage. Knowing about this loan program makes you a power buyer.

The lenders I gave you above can do all of these loan types, not all lenders can. If you decide to use a 203k, you really need to make sure you use a lender that knows what they are doing. If you thing you want to use this loan, just email me and I'll give you more details and help you take advantage of it.

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 20, 2011
Hey Jay- we have relationships with several lenders to help our clients with each of their own specific requirements. We do have someone that specializes in your specific situation. His primary focus is international relationships in lending. He would be the best person to speak to for help. Give me a buzz at 703-929-5716 or email me at joe@joeknowsva.com so I can give you his contact information.

Joe Doman
REMAX Gateway
703-929-5716
joe@joeknowsva.com
Web Reference: http://www.joeknowsva.com
Jay, with an H1B Visa we may be able to help you. I would really like to speak with you further about your situation and show you what your options are so you can decide what works for you. Please contact me at your earliest convenience.

Elliott R. Oliva | Mortgage Banker| nmls#353884

Primary Residential Mortgage, Inc.

202.681.1636 | eoliva@primeres.com
Se habla Espanol
Jay,

A real estate agent helps and guides you through the home purchase process while a lender/loan officer helps you with your financing options. Though I know enough to comment on your questions about financing, I am a real estate agent and not a loan officer (two separate professions/licenses) so I will leave the answers to the expert (a loan officer).

Feel free to email or call me for the names of some excellent and trusted lenders in the area my clients and I have worked with over the years and so I can answer your questions and concerns regarding the home buying process.

Danilo Bogdanovic
Real Estate Consultant/REALTOR(r)
http://LoudounScene.com
http://LoudounForeclosures.com
Jay,
Your Visa Status does not restrict or prevent you from buying a house. I helped a client in similar situation (he is on H1B visa working fro an IT company and his wife on F1 going to medical school) they bought a house and they are living there now. The lender that we used is outstanding with excellent performance. give me a call or email to discuss your situation further.
(703)628-9343
alkurd@nvre.net

http://www.nvrenet.com
Web Reference: http://www.nvrenet.com
Good Morning Jay,

I would love to meet with you and see if we will work well together. I will recommend several loan officers for your pre-approval. Please contact me through my profile and we can set up a date/time.

Thank You,
Sonal Goda