Looking to buy a house with land, but can't find anything that makes us both happy. Would it be cheaper to buy lot/land and build or keep searching?

Asked by a_matchell, Kansas City, MO Sat May 11, 2013

Answers

12
Jim Kavanagh, Agent, Kearney, MO
Tue May 14, 2013
I have a 60+/_ acre tract for sale in Ray county mo. All utilities are ran to an old home site about 200 ft off the main road all the meters water and electric are still there It is ready to build
It's only $2500 per acre. Beautiful All fenced Rolling hills Timber 3 ponds..Stay on this one. I just uploaded all the Pictures.
I will send you the Link if you'd like?
Jim Kavanagh
Gerry Luke, Agent, Kansas City, MO
Mon May 13, 2013
Unless you tell us where the property needs to be. The point is mute. 5 Acres in Kearney is going to be expensive and has terrible excess to the Airport for Traveling out of town. Western Clay and Platte county is the place to be. I have some 20 and 30 acre plots we need to look at call me. 816.507.3284
Jim Kavanagh, Agent, Kearney, MO
Mon May 13, 2013
Buy Land "They Ain't Makin No More" if you buy a home make sure it has 5-1000 acres are more.
Gerry Luke, Agent, Kansas City, MO
Sun May 12, 2013
If you can find the right property it would save you a ton. Where does this property need to be?
Brandy Tilo, Agent, Riverton, UT
Sun May 12, 2013
While none of us has a crystal all, I can tell you that land/lot prices have been on the rise here in Utah and other places around the country. This holds true for materials as well. With that said, if you are planning to build, I would suggest you secure your property now while interest rates are low and property prices are still manageable. You guys can work out the building details later.
Don Krueger, Agent, Kansas City, MO
Sun May 12, 2013
It would b cheaper to buy then to build. Always is, I have had 3 builders in past and if you can't b there every day to over see then some will either forget things or cut corners. If you would like to talk about this give me a call Don Krueger century 21 realtor. 816-277-7055
John Harris, , 64151
Sat May 11, 2013
My wife and I are in a very similiar situation as we are looking for a home for our family right now. In my experience you will get more for your money with a resale. Also, most builders are quite busy at the moment and may not be able to help you outside of the subdivisions they are currently building in. I know of at least one builder who is currently raising prices simply to slow down the demand they are facing. Another has told me they cannot take on any jobs outside of their subdivision until October. Contractors and rehabbers are busy but not as strapped as builders are at the moment so fixing up a property would be a viable option if necessary.

I only work with sellers so I can only advise as far as what I have learned in my own home search. However, I can recommend an agent for you who only works with buyers and is quite knowledgeable about the market. If you do have a home to sell I can help you with that as well.

Please contact me if I can be of any service.
Ross Costanzo, Agent, Lees Summit, MO
Sat May 11, 2013
I have been selling in Kansas City for over a decade, and the answer is "depends". Where do you want to live relative to the city? Acreage prices vary widely. What type of access do you want? Paved roads & city utilities will cost more if you are building. Regardless of it is me or another agent find someone with knowledge of land around the city and sit down with them and get an analysis done because there are many more questions that still need answers. Good luck and of course feel free to contact me, I'd be happy to help.

Ross Costanzo
rcostanzo@kw.com
816-876-3595
Michael Diggs, Agent, Gladstone, MO
Sat May 11, 2013
I'd be happy to assist you in your search. Send me your criteria. Call me anytime at 816-863-7797.
Thank you
Michael Diggs
http://www.KcMoHomesForSale.com
Jennifer Mur…, , Kansas City, MO
Sat May 11, 2013
Great question. It depends on many factors.

If you have an area in mind please, let me know I would be happy to help.

Thank You,
Derrick Monr…, Agent, Rockford, MN
Sat May 11, 2013
I'm not sure about Kansas City for pricing as I'm from Minnesota - however, that being said, in my area the answer would be "most likely" buying an existing place and remodeling would be cheaper with some of the home prices.

Take an look at what the average land cost - lets say the lot/acreage whatever you're looking at costs $50,000 (just using a number) then consider driveway, landscape, well/septic if needed and add that number on top. Then look at what you would want to build such as a 2 story home with 4 beds and 2 baths (should be able to look at new construction and get an idea of cost or ask a builder) add that to the lot then pad in some extra for all the things that will certainly be added on during the process.

Next take a look at similar style homes on similar style lots and consider the changes you would need to do to get it like you want - in my area typically the remodel would be less expensive but looking at it this way should get you closer to whats best for you. Good luck.
Steve Parsons, Agent, Salisbury, MD
Sat May 11, 2013
When buying a house, very rarely do you ever find anything that is absolutely perfect. It's just like a relationship...a lot of give and take. The only way you'll ever have exactly what you want in a property, usually, is to buy a lot and to have the home built with everything you want. The only problem with this option, is you'll pay a lot more for it. You may find yourself cutting back on things you can live without to make the house cheaper, and in the end you'll be right back to where you started.