Looking for towns close commute to nyc(under an hour), good schools, safe, & affordable-

Asked by Adam , Maplewood, NJ Wed Mar 14, 2012

so far we've been looking at Maplewood, summit, westfield, & new Providence- where else should we consider?

Answers

24
Malik Crichl…, Agent, Maplewood, NJ
Wed Mar 14, 2012

Those are all great towns to look in. You may also want to consider South Orange, Millburn, West Orange, Montclair, Caldwell, and Westwood. It all really depends on what your buying criteria is as we all have a different idea of what affordable may be.

This site may also be helpful in letting you see how the schools are rated in the towns you are looking in.

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nj/schools/

Happy House Hunting!!

Malik Crichlow
BROKER/OWNER , CDPE, SFR
GoodBuy Homes NJ Realty
1811 Springfield Avenue Suite 2
Maplewood, NJ 07040
Office: 973.762.4662
Direct: 347.538.6864
Fax: 973.843.0277
Info@Goodbuyhomesnj.com
GO TEAM GREEN!!!
dimennawriter, Home Seller, South Orange, NJ
Mon Sep 24, 2012
Keep your car in the driveway...walk to the train instead!
The NY train is a very pleasant 10-minute walk from this charming, spacious colonial in a fabulous family neighborhood.

Leave your house at 7:20 and be in NY Penn Station by 8:05! How’s that for a commute?

Call Cathy or Tina they’ll be happy to show you 292 Walton Ave, South Orange. Take a look: http://www.292Walton.com

Cathy Knapp: 201-259-7102 cell
Tina Erway: 973-454-2133 cell
Gerri levent…, Agent, Upper Monclair, NJ
Mon Nov 19, 2012
You should also consider what part of New York City you need to commute to. If it is midtown then a bus would work just fine , therefore your choice of towns have just exploded. There are 4 train lines which lead into new york city from northern new jersey and 3 bus companies. All will get you into new york city in under 1 hour. After you get into New York , what part of the city you need to get to every day becomes significant. Check out FindNJHouse.Com , my website takes you through all the local communities and commuting options.
Best of Luck, Gerri
Countrygirl, Home Seller, Westchester County, NY
Sun Mar 18, 2012
Have you considered Westchester? We live in Harrison and are selling our home-but plan to stay int he area, since it's so conventient to Manhattan-both driivng and by train. You're also going opposite the traffic, which makes the commute that much more attractive. We are less than an hour from the city-
Let me know if I can answer any other questions or if you're interested in seeing our home.
Is Harrison a nice area?
Flag Mon May 5, 2014
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Sat Feb 8, 2014
All good choices. I would add Berkeley Heights which is just past New Providence and also Mountainside which feeds into Governor Livingston as well. I've helped a number of buyers consider Union County properties in Summit, Westfield, New Providence and Berkeley Heights and have had some buy in all four of them.

Another great community is Chatham. I had another buyer that opted to live there, and many others that have explored the community and would love to live there but their budget didn't allow.

Much will depend on budget and what you are hoping to buy, but all of these communities are worth consideration. I'd be honored to assist you with your search and purchase.
Web Reference:  http://www.feenickhomes.com
Jonathan Cit…, Agent, Maplewood, NJ
Thu Apr 12, 2012
Less than an hour? Then you might consider Chatham Borough and Madison. Both are 'bedroom communities' with easy access to the city via train and the mid-town direct to Penn Station. Homes, here, put you in Morris county where the taxes tend to be more reasonable. Do a little poking around and you will find the schools are A-1. You will not go wrong with either of these quaint small, New Jersey towns. Best!!! Jonathan
George Walsh, Agent, Summit, NJ
Wed Mar 14, 2012
You have been looking in some fine towns. They are each under one hour by train to NYC. Do you want to just keep looking and in more towns? Decide what your goals are. What do you want in a community? Beside the commute that is. Is there an aspect to the schools that you seek? What price range and taxes are you comfortable with? Making your own decsions on these and similar points will help you narrow the field. then select a competent professional real estate agent to help you focus on the homes and towns that meet your needs and desires.
Wayne Odenbr…, Agent, Mountain Lakes, NJ
Wed Mar 14, 2012
Soooo many choices. West Orange has some sections with an easy commute as well. Are you thinking about the train or bus commute? The furthr west you go,the more suburban it becomes as well
Dez Miah, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Thu Jan 8, 2015
Maywood Nj is beautiful and has great schools! 30 minute commute to NYC
henrygibbs007, Renter, 10460
Fri Dec 5, 2014
closet city or town from Pennsylvania to new York
Cheryl, , 07030
Wed Jun 4, 2014
Rutherford. This must be a secret because everyone skips mention of Rutherford . It's 8 miles west of NYC . It's on a train line, bus line , has a main ave full of restaurants and has a blue ribbon school district. So many of the towns in the popular list are and hour to hour and a half commute each way . Rutherford is one of the closest to NYC and one if the quickest commutes.
thanks this has been a big help.
Flag Wed Apr 26, 2017
well the commute by bus 190 is 40 to 45 minutes usually from the end of Union Avenue near the Clifton-Rutherford border. The bus runs I think about 22 hours a day with only 2 hours break from 4 to 6am. Have never taken the train but seems convenient.
Flag Wed Apr 22, 2015
John Facchini, Agent, Verona, NJ
Fri Feb 7, 2014
There are many choices if you haven't been working with a realtor please feel free to contact me Also go to my website for valuable information regarding school ratings and town information.JRFPROPERTIES.COM. I am familiar with all the towns you have mentioned I specialize in the West Essex area ,Essex Fells,Verona,Roseland,the Caldwells. Your best advice should come from a well informed Real Estate agent who can narrow your time and searching by providing them with a parameter of important factors regarding your decision. Best of luck
Adivineu, Home Buyer, Snellville, GA
Fri Feb 7, 2014
I'm looking to move to PA. but I need to commute to NYC. What area would be best that's safe, good schools and affordable? 2 hour max commute (one way)
I would appreciate any advice given. Thank you in advance!!
Mon Mar 18, 2013
Have you researched the montclair-booton train line? It depends on your price range but you have the following towns: Bloomfield , Glen Ridge,Montclair,Upper Montclair, Little Falls in Passaic County also.
Looking for an express bus: Livingston NJ, West Orange, Verona( blue ribbon here), Caldwell, North Caldwell.

99% of the towns , I cover have fabulous school systems a 30-60 minute New York City commute and beautiful homes. What part of the city do you work in? What is your price range? Are you looking for a blue ribbon school system? What kind of community are you looking for? You may reach me on my website below. I cover most of Northern New Jersey Real Estate.
Web Reference:  http://FindNJHouse.Com
Jonathan Cit…, Agent, Maplewood, NJ
Mon Mar 18, 2013
12 minutes by helicopter, not by train.
Iam, Both Buyer And Seller, South Orange, NJ
Mon Mar 18, 2013
South Orange is 12 mins. on the midtown express It is a neighborhood with all the charm yet a trendy feel.
Laurie White, , West Orange, NJ
Thu Apr 12, 2012
I would suggest South Orange,Maplewood, Millburn or Summit New Jersey. Only about a half an hour to 40 minutes on the NJ Transit train to New York Penn Station!
Cataldo Cal…, Agent, Maplewood, NJ
Thu Mar 15, 2012
I just moved from the city to South Orange in Historic Montrsoe Park section. We Love it. The community has been just wonderful and our kids attend Marshall. My partner commutes from South Orange to Upper West Side NYC in less then an hour. You can go to
http://CalUrsoHomes.com and click on Market Insider for detailed statistics on subjects such as schools, incomes, population and other pertinent information. Hope this helps.... good luck in your search! :-)
Suzanne Pari…, Agent, Pompton Plains, NJ
Thu Mar 15, 2012
There are several very nice communities that have good schools. I happen to live in Wayne, in a townhome and service several of the surrounding areas. Wayne is approx 1 hr or less commute into the city however there are several communities that I would recommend to you. I would greatly appreciate having a conversation with you so that I may learn what would be important to you in a home and area. The best place I can be reached is my cell 201-259-5205.
carolle dono…, Agent, morristown, NJ
Thu Mar 15, 2012
Hi- you may want to consider Morris County. Denville and Surrounding towns. Denville has a train to mid-town direct.

I would be delighted to e-mail you listings if you let me know what is on your "wish list" and price range.

Regards,Carolle Donofrio

cadonof@aol.com
973-960-8002 cell
Jennifer Bla…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Thu Mar 15, 2012
Good morning - all great suggestions here but I don't see Bernards Township on the list. I grew up in Westfield which is a GREAT town as is Summit... you get a little more elbow room in Bernards Township (Basking Ridge) and it's just about an hour to NYC. Berkeley Heights is another good option. Good Luck!
Angel Calvosa, Agent, Maplewood, NJ
Wed Mar 14, 2012
These are all good towns, I would also suggest South Orange, parts of West Orange, parts of Springfield, Berkeley Heights, Chatham, Millburn, & Livingston.

Depending on what type of house (style/size) you are looking for and your budget, I could help you narrow it down. Call me for a no obligation consultation - 973-570-0388.
Gina Chirico, Agent, Fairfield, NJ
Wed Mar 14, 2012
What is your price range? You listed your criteria in a town/neighborhood but what is your criteria for a home? How many bedrooms do you need? how many do you prefer? Different towns and areas offer different houses in different price ranges. Providing your housing needs and price range can also help agents suggest more areas that may be of interest to you.
Jonathan Cit…, Agent, Maplewood, NJ
Wed Mar 14, 2012
You should take a look at Millburn, Chatham, and Madison. Each town hooks into the Mid-Town drect train to NYC, has the schools you would want, and provide suburban New Jersey Living at it best. Of course, you don't have to take my word for it. Go on-line and see for yourself. Happy hunting! Best, Jonathan Citron