Looking for names of towns or cities near Detroit that do not require an ACR and when purchasing a house, and still have really cheap houses.

Asked by SM, Fort Lauderdale, FL Wed Mar 19, 2014

Hi- I would like to purchase a house in the Detroit area, but learned that in Detroit, an Affidavit of Compliance Responsibility (ACR) is to be signed requiring the purchaser to fix pretty much the entire property in 6 months. I've also heard there a lot of other cities in Michigan require an ACR. I am looking for a house costing less about $6,000 or less, so I'm assuming that there would be a lot of fixing up needed, which would make it too expensive for me.

My question: Are there any towns or cities near Detroit that do NOT require the ACR or similar type of arrangement to fix the property, yet still have single family homes in the $6K price range? If you could please let me know which towns/cities might be a good start to look in, that would be great. Thanks!

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Pam Sawyer, Agent, Shelby Twp, MI
Thu Mar 20, 2014
Your have received very good advice. The short of it, you will not be able to find a home outside Metro Detroit for 6k. The reason Detroit is offering that price is they know the homeowner will have to make major improvements to the home and the cost to do so. The market has improved in southeast Michigan and it is hard to find land for 6,000 outside of Detroit. Good Luck in your search and I would recommend locating a great Realtor in the area that can offer advice and suggestions on how to purchase and renovate on a budget. 9
0 votes
Andy Hargrea…, Agent, Plymouth, MI
Thu Mar 20, 2014
Near that price range?
No, not likely.
Realistically, there aren't any/many cities that have them around that price range anymore.

Best advice: Save up and buy something that you have the ability to make it just how you like.

Suburb cities: Dearborn, Dearborn Hts, Garden City, Westland, Livonia, Canton, Redford, most downriver cities, Taylor - all have a C of O you would need to get.
0 votes
McMorris, ABR…, Agent, Harrison Twp, MI
Thu Mar 20, 2014
Potential buyer if your looking to purchase a home may I suggest you contact a licensed REALTOR that can assist you with complying with the rules and regulations of the potential city you are interested in purchasing in. Not complying with the ordinances could potentially cost you must more in the end. It could potential cost you the home being put on the demolition list. Many times you can get extension and work with the agency to meet there requirements. I would advise that you work with a REALTOR that would advise you and be open and truthful about what your responsibilities are.
0 votes
McMorris, ABR…, Agent, Harrison Twp, MI
Thu Mar 20, 2014
At Jeanofarc so you are advising a potential client to ignore the ordinances of the city. If a governmental agency requires a ACR or a Certificate of Occupancy you should be encouraging them to comply with the requirements of such agency. Many times a client can get an extension on the repairs, many times the requirements are not as extreme as one would assume. You put the buyer and occupants of that property at risk of health and safety issues. If a seller sells a property without either agreeing to fix the issues or the buyer is willing to accept responsibility for the repairs they both will be responsible to the agency for violations and ordinances issues. You should ALWAYS encourage a buyer and seller to do the Right thing ALWAYS. Giving advise to avoid paying a fee or bring a property up to code is the worst advise to give EVER. As a licensed REALTOR I will always disclose the TRUTH to the client/customer ALWAYS.
0 votes
jeanofarc, , Detroit, MI
Wed Mar 19, 2014
Yes when you use a real estate agent they sometimes have you sign an ACR; but it isn't necessary if you buy directly from an owner. There are plenty of homes for 6 G's or less and I could help you find and even with the closing. If you move to Mt Clemens or Birmingham its required and enforced but not the rest of the suburbs. I can help you locate and with advice. jeanofarc@yahoo.com
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more