Looking for communities in Oviedo or Winter Springs with teenagers.

Asked by Weliveinhampstead, Oviedo, FL Thu Oct 4, 2012

We are going to be relocating from Maryland to Oviedo or Winter Springs in the near future. Looking for neighborhoods with lots of teenagers if possible. Our kids are 12 and 16. We are looking for Oviedo, Hagerty, or Winter Springs High School.

Answers

10
Eileen Eskew, Agent, Orlando, FL
Wed Feb 27, 2013
You really can't go wrong in either Oviedo nor Winter Springs. There are several parks, the Aquatic Center, RiversidePark, and the cross seminole nature trail for running, walking or biking. The Blue Dolphins USA Swim team also practice year round at the Oviedo Aquatic Center. Both High Schools in Oviedo and the one in Winter Springs are high rated. I have a daughter at Oviedo High and a son completing Lawton Elementary soon to enter Jackson Middle school. Oviedo High has so many teams and clubs and activities, there are 17 buildings, it's like a small college campus. It is also a closed secure campus....check it out, they love to give tours. I have posted school links on my webpage under local info.
Care Bellamy, Agent, Orlando, FL
Sat Feb 16, 2013
Oviedo High School is ranked in the top 1000 best high schools in the USA, I moved my teenage daughter here from Orlando just so she could attend Seminole County Public Schools, an A+ District. It did not disappoint, she graduated with honor and 5 college credits! Oviedo is a great place to raise a family and enjoy the finest things in life, it's a place you can live, work and play.

My two cents.

Thanks, Care

Carolyn "Care" Bellamy, Realtor
Bahia Realty Group
407-709-8942
http://www.carebellamy.com
Chris & Donna, Agent, Madison, AL
Sat Feb 16, 2013
I disagree from the stand point of someone who spent his teenage years living in Oviedo. I felt well connected and not TOO far away from the attractions that Orlando and the other Suburbs have to offer. I felt the small town vibe in Oviedo and there was certainly a lot less traffic!

We are all entitled to our own opinions, and I respect yours.
I gotta agree with you Chris. I think the Winter Park Winter Spring folks are a little bit too snooty about their hometowns. If you like Grid Lock during rush hour, by all means move to the "central areas". If you like peace and quiet and easy traffic, move to Oveido. There are plenty of kids here and no problems.
Flag Mon Mar 11, 2013
Chris & Donna, Agent, Madison, AL
Wed Feb 13, 2013
I grew up in Kingsbridge East. I really enjoyed living there through high school because of the recreational facilities in the neighborhood including the soccer fields, basketball courts and the fishing ponds.

Many of my friends lived in the neighborhood and I would recommend Kingsbridge East to anyone looking for a family atmosphere.
n,j,, Home Owner, Oviedo, FL
Fri Feb 15, 2013
Oviedo skews to younger kids, and is too far out for teens who want to see Winter Park or downtown activities like film festivals and tea houses. I would look in Winter Springs and Winter Park, more central and less "dead" 'burbs at nite.
Hagerty High has a beer-based culture, not the best atmosphere
Flag Fri Feb 15, 2013
Jean Scott, Agent, Oviedo, FL
Wed Feb 6, 2013
All good answers here. Really the best way is to take a few days and come visit. Drive around and see what you like that best fits your budget.

We moved to Oviedo in 1996. It's our adopted home town. We can live about anywhere. But choose to live here.

Tom Scott, Realtor
Jean Scot Team.
Jojoh, Home Owner, Oviedo, FL
Sun Oct 14, 2012
Depending on what you have to spend, Alafaya Woods in Oviedo has very great schools. Oviedo High school is the public high for Alafaya Woods, where my daughters, son in law and now grandsons go. It is high rated, has been a leader in the area and keeps the feeling of family/ student/school involvement. Hagerty, is the new school and I feel hasnt a proven track record yet.
Alafaya Woods is a family neighborhood. At any given time, you will see people walking, jogging, playing basket ball, tennis, and kids riding bikes. It has a low crime rate, thanks to our wonderful police dept. There is also Stenstom Elementary school, and lawton chiles middle. Alafaya Woods is the most economical middle class neighborhood in Oviedo, who also has outstanding schools.
Care Bellamy, Agent, Orlando, FL
Fri Oct 5, 2012
I live and work in Oviedo and I love it! The Winter Springs-Oviedo area has A+ schools, sport complexes, walking trails, a skateboard park, swimming pools and playgrounds, it also has the Oviedo Mall which is a favorite with local youth.

Let me know if I can show you around, call or email me or visit my website at http://www.carebellamy.com, I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks, Care
Lawrence Gray, Agent, Winter Park, FL
Fri Oct 5, 2012
It is hard to find areas of Oviedo that does not have teenagers. Historically, Oviedo was a farming town, served by rail, and a significant undeveloped distance from Orlando. In that respect, the core town center of "Old Oviedo" is less likely to have teeneagers and the larger 5+ acre properties, may have teenagers but they are so far apart. Oviedo has a very active Parks and Recreation Dept which tends to be biased towards activities supporting teens - sports fields, skateboard track, etc. Oh, and the old rail that shipped the celery is now a recreational trail and part of the larger Seminole County interconnected trail system.

Oviedo and Winter Springs really began developing with the expansions from the 1970s on and each of those developments have significant teen populatons. Even in my neighborhood, we have former teens now in their 20 and 30 somethings that like it so much they returned to their old nighborhood to start the next generation of families.

A lot of it comes down what you are looking for in addition to teens and good schools asthose two enties are almost a given, particurally if you stick to the developed planned neighborhoods. I would be more than happy to piece the additional parts of the puzzle together helping to focus on what serves you best.
Dominic Pers…, Agent, Oviedo, FL
Fri Oct 5, 2012
Good morning, great choice to consider moving into the oviedo-winter springs area, oviedo boasts all a-rated schools and has been recognized by many national media publications as a great place to live,
Most recently as a top 10family friendly city in the united states by family circle magazine and a top 25 suburb in florida. Just about every community is filled with children but live oak and sanctuary come to mind.

I could send you some info on the high schools I have to help with your decision, you cannot go wrong with them, my oldest went to oviedo and the younger went to hagerty
Let me know how I can help, I have even more information I can share with you.

Dominic Persampiere,
RE/Max optima
Mayor, City of Oviedo
Web Reference:  http://www.dprealtygroup.com