Looking for advice on Newport Heights and Santa Ana Heights/West Bay

Asked by Gabe, Laguna Niguel, CA Wed Feb 25, 2009

We are considering purchasing a home in Newport Beach. We are just getting familiar with the area and different neighborhoods. We are a young family of four and we are looking for a great family neighborhood. We love Harbor View Homes, but find it a little too expensive for the size of home we are looking for. We have have just started looking at Newport Heights and Santa Ana Heights/West Bay since you get more for your money here. I am curious to hear from the Newport Beach Brokers on what the general consensus is for these areas and if there are family oriented neighborhoods that anyone can recommend. Pricing is lower here, are these areas considered the less desirable areas in NB? Thanks for any input.

Answers

12
Barbarariggs, Home Buyer, Newport Beach, CA
Wed Jul 12, 2017
We are considering a home in Bayshores on the ocean side of PCH. Is the black soot from planes flying overhead also a serious issue in this neighborhood? Where else can you get two private beaches and a gated community? Not sure if the plane noise would bother us as much as PCH:). Perhaps subjective but would like an opinion.
Mary Campbell, Agent, Newport Beach, CA
Tue Nov 17, 2009
Gabe,
Newport Heights and Westbay are wonderful areas. My children have attended all the schools in the area and they are top notch! We have lived here 27 years and love the neighborhood. I think it's a great location and homes are a little lower in price than on the other side of the bay. Presently you can get great buys in the area.

Mary Campbell
Thomas M Abe…, Agent, Newport Beach, CA
Mon Nov 9, 2009
Try and locate down by Newport harbor High School. Your children will relish the lifestyle of the opportunity to "walk" to Elementry, Middle school and High School, Traditional area with great mix of young families, older people and all sorts of interesting personalities. Easy access in and out of the area, oh yeah, within 10 minutes you can be in the ocean if a morning surf session is in your plans.
Dick Dickson, Agent, Newport Beach, CA
Thu Oct 29, 2009
Newport Heights is one of the choice areas of Newport Beach where children are able to walk to school from Elementary throught High School; plus Enviromental Nature Center and Bob Henry Park.
Harrison K.…, Agent, Irvine, CA
Sat Jun 20, 2009
Gabe ... You asked this question during Feb 2009, and I hope you got answers and information you wanted and needed.

Please remember to hire a Realtor with local experience to help you with your real estate transaction, buy or sell.

Harrison K. Long, Explore Group Properties, Coldwell Banker Previews.
http://www.ExploreTheOC.com
Steven Abrah…, Agent, LAGUNA BEACH, CA
Sat Jun 20, 2009
Gabe,
Hi!
What is your price range?
Knowing this will allow me to assist you in your endeavor.
Steven Abraham
lagunacastles@cox.net
"24 Years of Professional Real Estate Experience"
Prudential CA Realty
Laguna Beach, CA
949.378.4005 Cell
Web Reference:  http://www.stevenabraham.com
Christine Do…, Agent, Costa Mesa, CA
Mon Jun 15, 2009
Santa Ana Heights has some pluses and minuses. You're in the flight path and will get some noise from John Wayne. On the other side, there are many properties there that are zoned for horses, so if that's something of interest, it's worth considering. Also, you're likely to get larger lots.

Newport Heights also has some noise from the planes as well. It is a nice neighborhood with some lovely homes.

They're all very different from Laguna Niguel and all have something to offer.
Web Reference:  http://www.donovanblatt.com
Harrison K.…, Agent, Irvine, CA
Wed Mar 25, 2009
Gabe ... thanks for his good question about Newport Beach and homes at Santa Ana Heights/West Bay.

Newport Beach annexed the land from the county that is now Santa Ana Heights, and then separately annexed the property that is West Bay area. The idea by city fathers at NB was to annex as much property around the Bay Bay and water as possible, now wanting Costa Mesa to annex any land that was near water. So that area is in the city limits up to Bristol Street on west side, but some distance from Newport Beach on the south and east side at CDM. Property values at SA Heights reflect its close proximity to county property and Costa Mesa.

Best wishes on your property search.
http://www.ExploreTheOC.com
Bob Phillips, Agent, Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Thu Mar 5, 2009
That's an excellent point, Oc Buyer. Here's a Trulia Tru'ism to keep in mind. If the price "seems" too low, there is probably a good reason. Location, or lack thereof, is one on the best criteria for property selection.

One recent innovation in our MLS is the availability of an aerial view of properties you're considering - especially if you're far away, where it might be difficult to "do a drive by". I have a website that is available for prospective buyers in Orange County: http://tinyurl.com/Free-MLS-search

When you do a search, on such a site, look for the "Map it" link, or if on the MLS, look for the "Aerial view" link. One great thing about it, that you can use in this instance, is that you can zoom out, to a point where you could actually see if the airport's runways "line up with" the house in question.

I hope this is helpful for you. Good luck in your search!
Oc Buyer, Home Buyer, CDM
Thu Mar 5, 2009
It can be very noisy over there by the back bay as you are in the flight path. My husband used to live over there and his patio always had this oily black soot on it. I really like the area over there, but would avoid anything that is in the flight path.
Bill Godwin, Agent, Laguna Niguel, CA
Wed Feb 25, 2009
Hi Gabe,

Karen is right - you can get a lot more for your money in Mission Viejo. Schools there are generally in the Capo USD, but then so are the Laguna Niguel schools. If you are moving from Laguna Niguel to Newport it must be for more than just the schools. Are you trying to get closer to work or just looking for a change of life style from the typicla suburban tracts that make up Laguna Niguel?
Web Reference:  http://www.BillMGodwin.com
Karen Parsons…, Agent, Laguna Beach, CA
Wed Feb 25, 2009
Hi Gabe,

I think you are right about pricing. The only concern I would say is to watch the school districts. Have you considered going a bit further south? There are some nice areas in Irvine and even further south than that. For the same money, you can get quite a bit more in Mission Viejo and there are some really nice schools there.

I'd be happy to talk to you more if you like..shoot me an email and we can chat..or you can search some home prices at my website at http://www.great-western-realty.com.

K