Most homes built before 1978 will contain asbestos materials in varying percentage levels both inside and outside the structure. Confirmation and percentage level of asbestos can only be assured via sample testing, which is not part of a standard property inspection; however, you will be happy to know http://www.kellco.com
is local asbestos testing lab. Clients of mine drove a sample to the lab and received the results in less than 3 hours; charge was $35. Test results showed a 2% asbestos concentration. My clients decided to encapsulate (paint) the asbestos (The Federal Clean Air Act of 1970 gave the EPA authority to regulate material containing more than 1% asbestos fibers.)
While there's no law preventing an owner from removing asbestos themselves that I am aware of (the homeowner must still follow the Rules & Regulations of the Dept. of Environmental Quality for disposal) there is legal exposure of not disposing of asbestos properly. The more important consideration is your own potential asbestos exposure "doing it yourself", which Iâ€™m betting all who respond to your question, would personally feel is not worth risking exposure.
However, be aware professional removal is costly and often seen as the solution of last resort. Here's a link for finding certified professionals to remove the "popcorn" so you can obtain a quote:
While many people recognize "popcorn" ceilings may contain asbestos, and since it sounds like you may have a substantial amount of demolition, you should also know outdoors asbestos was used in roofing and siding. Indoors, it was also used in floor/ceiling tiles, putties, caulks, paints, cements, plasters, and pipe insulations.
For more info see: