Matt Bernardo, Home Buyer in Point Pleasant Boro,...

Looking at lagoon front homes.. How do you know how much high if at the homes need to be raised? How do you know the current elevation of the home?

Asked by Matt Bernardo, Point Pleasant Boro, NJ Mon Nov 11, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Diane Glander, Agent, Spring Lake, NJ
Mon Nov 11, 2013
You need an elevation certificate that will tell you how high the property sits and then you go to FEMAs website and put the address into their system. You will get the ABFE recommendation. If the elevation certificate height provided is lower than the ABFE, you will need to elevate.
1 vote
Nancy Kletke…, Agent, Brick, NJ
Sun Dec 1, 2013
They need to have a survey done on the property to determine elevation.
0 votes
Paul Marzolla, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Fort Lee, NJ
Fri Nov 15, 2013
I've been working with a lot of homeowners and homebuyers lately regarding the home elevation requirements. I am a homeowner in Point Pleasant Beach and, like many, have to raise my home. I was able to successfully work with a few lenders that will allow the elevation costs to be financed and have had tremendous success with those looking to bypass heavy flood insurance increases for homeowners and homebuyers alike. There was no way I was going to tap into my savings to pay for it, didn't make sense, go it's good to know there are options.

If you'd like to discuss your scenario in greater depth to see what available options there are please don't hesitate contacting me directly.

Kindest regards,

Paul F. Marzolla
Sr. Mortgage Advisor
(201) 957-6768
0 votes
Joseph Scang…, Agent, Brick, NJ
Tue Nov 12, 2013
As a lagoon front home owner and Realtor-the answer to your question is an elevation certificate. This is obtained through a licensed surveyor and I recommend every seller to obtain one prior to listing. It will tell you what the current elevation is of the home as well as the flood zone the home is in-
example ; if the home is located in an AE7 zone and the elevation certificate shows the home to be at 6.2 ft- the home is not conforming, If the home were at 6.5ft or higher it would conform.
As for raising of the home- if there was 51% damage to the "building" the local building codes are making it mandatory to elevate your home to conform to FEMA standards. If the home was not damaged or sustained minor damage, and is currently below the FEMA flood elevation, elevating it is not mandatory,however flood insurance rates will be higher as the home is at a higher risk. FEMA does not mandate raising home, they regulate at what elevation they need to be to conform.

ALSO- if the home seller had flood insurance and the home was their primary residence and the home does need to be elevated-they could and should have applied for the FEMA ICC grant of $30,000.00-this grant is only to offset the cost of raising the home to conform to FEMA standards and nothing else, it also runs with the property so if you were to purchase a home that needs to be raised to conform-the $30k grant would go with the property sale and you would be entitled to access it.
If you have any other questions feel free to contact me on my cell
Joseph Jay Scangarella
Crossroads Realty
0 votes
Laura Gianno…, Agent, Manahawkin, NJ
Tue Nov 12, 2013
It depends on the town. If your home was 51% destroyed in the storm, it can't be repaired before it is raised.
0 votes
Nita Rose, Agent, Spring Lake, NJ
Mon Nov 11, 2013
Hi Matt,

These agents covered a lot of the information you were looking for. If you're looking at a particular home, check to see if they currently have an elevation certificate and if they're presently paying flood insurance. Looking ahead, there are still questions about flood insurance rates and finalization of flood maps that are being addressed, so you should try to get as much information as possible before moving ahead. I happen to live on a lagoon in Point Pleasant and am dealing with many of these issues, so I am constantly getting updated information. Feel free to contact me at 908-309-9405 with other questions or by email at
Good Luck!
Nita Rose
0 votes
Pamela Miller, Agent, Wall, NJ
Mon Nov 11, 2013
Hi Matt,

Please go to Scroll down enter address of home you are interested in and it will give you the flood zone, i.e. AE8 house has to be 8' above sea level. How do you determine where your house actually is in relationship to sea level. You hire an engineer. They determine how high your home is and you get an elevation certificate. Compare to flood zone area maps and now you know. If the home owner does not have an elevation certificate you cannot determine if that home has to be raised or what their flood insurance will be.
If you give me an address, I can get your specifics.
Thank you.
Pam Miller
0 votes
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Mon Nov 11, 2013
You will need a survey and an elevation certificate to be able to price flood insurance or figure how high it needs to be. Ask the owner, they might have both.
0 votes
Many times seller's have an elevation certificate and survey of the home. You can also check FEMA's website with an address to see the flood zone. Feel free to contact me if I can assist further...Dolores 732-330-3531
Flag Mon Nov 11, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Buying in Brick Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more