Looking at a house to purchase on the edge of the Heights and Shady Acres on W 20th Street between Durham and Shepherd. Is this area OK?

Asked by Alexandria Norman, New York, NY Tue Feb 18, 2014

Love everything about the house. It is in the middle of 8 new houses. There is a new development across the street. Some sketchy/older businesses and homes near-by.

Answers

12
Al Geffon, Agent, Houston, TX
Tue Feb 18, 2014
Alexandra ... given that there's no zoning in The Heights, pretty much anything goes. It's not my favorite location ... see Jeffrey's remarks; they're spot-on.
Ellen Krantz, Agent, Houston, TX
Tue Feb 18, 2014
This is a terrific area. The Heights is increasing in value at twice the rate of the rest of the property in Houston. Unfortunately, because of zoning laws in Texas, there are sketchy areas everywhere, but this entire area is a great investment and the infrastructure is amazing. I lived in The Heights for 8 years and LOVED it! Please contact me if you have any other questions! If you aren't yet working with an agent, I would love to help you. I know the area very well!
Laura M. Hurt, Agent, Houston, TX
Tue Feb 18, 2014
Great Question! While the Heights is overall a great area, there are still a few places that haven't caught up. I think a different location would be better, plus there is a similar feel and growth happening just north of the Heights that I think you'd like. Call or email me and I can send you a few to check out online. Lauramhurt@gmail.com or 832.443.2860
Jeff Cox, Agent, Houston, TX
Tue Feb 18, 2014
Hello Alexandria,

Sounds like you are purchasing a Sandcastle Home. They build a good home. The location will always be busy because 20th Street is one of the main streets through the Heights neighborhoods. You may not get the sense of community that the Heights is known for but you will be close to the restaurants in the area and shopping. Cedar Creek, Hubcap and The Corkscrew to the west and Torchy's Tacos, Collina's, Jubilee and more to the east. I have lived in the Heights for 20 plus years. You will love it there. If you should want some assistance, please contact me.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Jeff Cox
Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate Gary Greene
Cell 713-240-2044
Off 713-961-1722
Email jeffcox@garygreene.com
Jeffrey Nunn…, Agent, Houston, TX
Tue Feb 18, 2014
Alexandria,

There are a couple minor issues with this house. It's located between 2 major thoroughfares, and it's a mixed use block; some houses, some businesses. The neighborhood itself (as my fellow agents have mentioned) is wonderful, but there will be traffic at all hours on this particular block. If you have kids, this might be a problem; you do not want them riding their bikes. Also, the Middle and High School this property is zoned to aren't necessarily the best. Most of the neighborhood kids have enrolled in the local "magnet" program and go to school in other neighborhoods. (The elementary schools are excellent). If you'd like more information, feel free to call me (713) 245-6520 or email. Good luck!
Patrick Biln…, Agent, Houston, TX
Tue Feb 18, 2014
Alexandria,
I work in that area if you would like help, please give me a call and I would be happy to go over details with you.
Patrick Bilnoski
Texas Top Realty
patrick@texastoprealty.com
713.202.4757
Joe Cano Jr, Agent, Houston, TX
Tue Feb 18, 2014
The area is phenomenal. Home quickly sell in the area. I know of some gentleman whom are building Townhomes right off Yale & 16th. That's a bit removed from your actual location, but a very interesting option. Why those specific coordinates/location? I can set you up with a great loan officer. He & his team are fabulous and they will procure you a great loan with a great interest rate. Let me know how I could assist you. Have a terrific Tuesday.

Joe Cano - Realtor/Locator
(281) 785-5132
Kevin Sechel…, Agent, Houston, TX
Tue Feb 18, 2014
Hey Alexandria,

I live in this area and love it... I've placed several clients in this same area and all have seem very happy with their purchase!

Things move very fast in this area so let me know when you are wanting to move by and your needs and I can keep a daily look out for homes that come on the market.

Look Forward to working with you...

Kevin Sechelski
List Flat Fee.net
832.545.5503
contact@ListFlatFee.net
Carolyn Wolfe, Agent, Houston, TX
Tue Feb 18, 2014
I sold a home close to there last year and they have not had any problems.
There are a lot of old established businesses in the area that add to the Heights charm.

That being said, Houston is growing fast with a lot of new people arriving everyday.
There are a few areas in our large Metro area that have seen an uptick in crime that have never had an issue.

You can research the area on different websites, and on Trulia listings you can scroll down to the map and click the crime tab and it gives a very detailed look at the reported crime in the area.

I was checking out the 2 story home being built over there, and it has the option to put an apartment over the garage which is great for added income or visiting relatives.

Let me know if you need anymore information on any property.

Check out my website and send me an email !
Mike Salomon, Other Pro, Houston, TX
Tue Feb 18, 2014
Alexandria. Would you like contact information for the residents in the four occupied neighboring homes? I'm sure they would be happy to share their impressions of the neighborhood. The first residents moved in just before Thanksgiving, so they've had some time to evaluate their experience.
Bobbie Wagner…, Agent, Conroe, TX
Tue Feb 18, 2014
The Heights area is very eclectic, but very desirable. I would be happy to assist you with your search.

Bobbie Persky
713-530-4098
Leigh-Jo Anz…, Agent, Albuquerque, NM
Tue Feb 18, 2014
Which home are you inquiring about?

Leigh-Jo
Syan Real Estate
Call/Text: (505) 730-8181
New Mexico Real Estate: http://www.syan.com
Web Reference:  http://www.syan.com
Right down the street from my office. Pull the trigger on it if you can get it. keep in mind there will probably be multiple offers. There are a lot of new townhomes about to go up all around it. That's a prime piece of real estate. Give me a ring if you would like to discuss.

Shane Davis
Envoy Mortgage
214-403-7718 cell
Flag Tue Feb 18, 2014