Lokking for 3 - 4 bedroom home in a family frriendly neighborhood.

Asked by Zina Adams, Rosedale, Queens, NY Tue Jun 9, 2009

Relocating from Brooklyn, NY Brownstone neighborhood. Would love to be in an area with character ie dining, museums, shops, family friendly activities.
Home Size: 2 floor, 3 - 4 Bedroom with large backyard (possible basement)
Home Price: 185k - 285k (hoping for no more then $1800 per month including taxes)
Schools: Great schools are a MUST. Moving with 3 daughters under 9 y.o.

I work from home but will have to visit Moorseville area bi-weekly, commute of up to an hour is fine.

Have been searching on Trulia for possible neighborhoods, some in mind are Fort Mill, Moorseville, Huntersville, Concord.

Would be conducting search, etc from NYC, and would need to do most legwork from NY.

Please let me know if the areas that I mentioned are in line with my criteria &/or suggestions. How do I find out about lending options/assistance for NC (first time home buyer classes, down payment assistance, etc).

I would love to take advantage of the Home Buyer Tax credit this year

Answers

10
barbarak, , Matthews, NC
Wed Sep 16, 2009
Hello Zina,
All the areas you have mentioned are terrific to raise your children in, but since you have to make a commute bi-weekly then why not just concentrate on the Mooresville, Huntersville area. That North Mecklenburg county and the lower part of Iredell county have some good homes to choose from. Usually the same builders that have built in that area have also built homes in South Mecklenburg and Fort Mill area. The basements are limited and they are walk-out basements, some finished, but I think there are more unfinished ones in your. price range. Our firm can also put you in contact with a great mortgage broker to discuss the options availalbe to you. If you are going to use the 1st time home buyer tax credit, then time is of the essence, you need to purchase the home before December 1st 2009. Hopefully you have already made your decision, but if you are still searching, I can help.
Jefferytaylo…, Both Buyer And Seller, Fort Mill, SC
Thu Sep 3, 2009
In Baxter Village.
Because of a divorce, I need to sell my house in Baxte Village this week and will take about any reasonable offer.

It appraised at 413,000 in Jan 2009. I would accept 350,000 if could close by Oct 1, so if you know any investors that would like a flip or anyone looking this is way under value and best deal in Baxter Village

You can see it here http://www.110mills.com

If is 3400 sq ft 4 bed with office and bonus room with movie theater with stadium seating, also on .35 wooded lot, HUGE for Baxter
Web Reference:  http://www.110mills.com
Glenda Marks, , Charlotte, NC
Fri Jun 12, 2009
Well Zina, you have hit the jackpot! There are a lot of homes in the areas that you mentioned that fit your search criteria, and others as well. There are several possibilities for first time homebuyers. Most lending assistance is realtive to your income and number in your family. There are programs that cover redevelopment areas, and others more wide range. If you should choose an area that would fit into the Rural Development Lending... there is great funding right now.

I did want to make a comment on the basement mentioned. We do not have a lot of "basements" in NC, other than walkout basements. Our codes require that any room in the basement must have a window or door for egress in case of fire. There are some... but mostly in older homes.

Taxes will be higher in some areas than others. I would also be happy to send you a tax grid so you can see where those rates are today.

Your hour's worth of commute is a bit tight for the Fort Mill area. Huntersville and Concord would be a better fit for the time limit established. I would be happy to send you a commuter's map that would help you with your search, plus subarea maps that would be helpful in searching for a home.

Don't forget about Mooresville or Statesville too.

I hope this note has been helpful. If you need to contact me via email or phone, please feel free to do so.

Glenda Marks, Owner/Broker
Marks Real Estate & Auction Company
Ph: 704-817-8064
Email: glendamarksauctions@yahoo.com
Tony Orefice, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Wed Jun 10, 2009
Hi Zina,

Congratulations on your decision to move to our great city! I, with my family, moved here from Brooklyn as well. We love it!

May I suggest a move to the Concord area, just northeast of Charlotte and a stone's throw from Mooresville.

While Huntersville, Cornelius, and Davidson in Mecklenburg county are very nice areas, many people choose beautiful Concord in Cabarrus county, especially for the school system. Concord also meets your other criteria.

Upon speaking, I can set you up with an excellent mortgage rep who would be very happy to help and guide you through the lending process. It would be great if you bought in time to take advantage of the Homebuyer Tax Credit. Also, as stated in a previous answer, now FHA is allowing buyers to use a portion of the Credit money as a bridge loan to help with the downpayment. Great news!

Please feel free to visit my website to learn more about these areas and about me as well. I look forward to hearing from you.

Tony Orefice
Broker/Realtor
980-254-7263
The Suddreth Group
Gina Storeho…, , Charlotte, NC
Tue Jun 9, 2009
If you are looking for great schools, I would concentrate your search in Union County, NC (Weddington, Marvin) or Fort Mill, SC. These are often considered to be the best schools in the area. All of these towns have the character you are looking for and available homes with your criteria that will fit into your price range. You can check out school comparison at http://www.schoolmatters.com and http://www.ncreportcards.org.

I have seen a lot of people from NY choose the Weddington/Marvin area to call home. I recently held an open house for a fellow agent in the Hunter Oaks Subdivision. This is a wonderful family community that I think you would enjoy. Shopping, dining, entertainment, etc. is all within 10-15 minutes away. The commute to Moorseville would be under an hour (depending of course on the time of day you are traveling). This particular home is listed at $409,000, but there are a few in your price range. I can set you up with a personal web page that will email you available homes that meet your criteria which allows you to sort, save, and send me notes on the homes you see. Email me at gstoreholder@cbunited.com if you are interested.

Beau Ferguson, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Tue Jun 9, 2009
Hi Zina

Welcome to Charlotte! What a great time to relocate.......lots of choices, great interest rates, and many homes at terrific values. Charlotte is a great place to raise a family and call home.
You definately want to take advantage of the home buyer tax credit. In fact, FHA loans are now allowing you to use some of that credit immediately as a bridge loan to help cover additional down payments (anything above the 3.5%) or closing costs. Here is a link you can go to for an online preaproval to help get things started....... http://bferguson.wilkinsonandassociates.com/mortgage.php
My Charlotte Fever website has a page that specifically caters to school info. On the Right Side, you will see a list of Links that will bring up the top schools ranked by "Great Schools" in each specific area or city. Go here: http://www.charlottefever.com/Schools/page_1967450.html
For your home searches, go to the below link where you can set up your criteria as well as automated listing alerts. It's very user friendly and you can save favorites to help you remember and/or communicate to me what's important and/or what you like.
If there is anything else I can help you with at this time......please let me know. I hope we get the opportunity to meet.
Debe Maxwell, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Tue Jun 9, 2009
Hi Zina!

I'd also like to welcome you to Charlotte! As a Certified Relocation Specialist, I can offer you the expertise needed to assist you with your move and with 25 years of Charlotte knowledge under my belt, I can show you many wonderful areas of Charlotte that fit your criteria also.

We do have alot of New Yorkers who have moved to the area so, you'll feel right at home here! We welcome everyone with open arms and our metropolitan city is as hospitable as any small-town city would be! Most New Yorkers are incredibly pleased with our lower tax and insurance rates as compared to your current ones.

We have an excellent public school system here and as Daniele mentioned http://www.NCReportCards.com is an excellent site to review the different schools in the area. You can also visit http://www.CMS.K12.NC.US for all of the information that you could possibly desire about our public schools.

Any of the areas that you mentioned would be wonderful areas to live--I would recommend the Huntersville, Davidson, Lake Norman or Concord areas as you would be located between your Mooresville bi-weekly visits and our wonderful Uptown activities--including professional sports, arts, 5-star restaurants and so much more. Each of those areas have beautiful parks and areas for you and your family to enjoy also.

The $8,000 first-time homebuyer federal tax credit is a wonderful perk for you right now. The interest rates, paired with the great home prices are also great incentives to put that tax credit to use now!

Visit http://www.SoldByDebe.com where you can find, what I feel, is the best site to search properties--you can enter your criteria and the listings there are updated so that you don't have to search through homes that have already gone under contract or are no longer available. You can even search by map and mark perimeters around the areas of interest to you, locating all of the homes that are available that fit your criteria within that area.

Don't hesitate to call or email me with questions--I'm happy to help!

Have a wonderful Wednesday...

Debe

Debe Maxwell, REALTOR/Broker
Helen Adams Realty
2301 Randolph Road
Charlotte, NC 28207
Debe@DebeMaxwell.com
Web Reference:  http://www.SoldByDebe.com
Debra M. Buck, , Charlotte, NC
Tue Jun 9, 2009
Hello Zina!

I am so happy to hear that you are going to be making Charlotte your new home for you and your family! I moved to Charlotte approximately 10 years ago from the Midwest and I still love Charlotte today. It's a wonderful growing city and it's a wonderful place to raise a family.

It sounds like you have been busy searching, which is great. There are tons of great areas surrounding Charlotte and I would say based on your proximity to your office in Mooreseville those areas mentioned are all great areas. One of the first things I would do is get in touch with a Mortgage Broker to get prequalifiied. I would be more than happy to provide you a few names of some Lenders that I typically work with. Once you are prequalified, this will help streamline your search as well as make sure we are looking at homes that fit your price point.

I would be more than happy to help you in your search for a new home. I would love to set you up on our Gateway system which creates a website where homes fitting your criteria will be accessible. The Gateway does the work for you and we can always adjust your criteria as we narrow down the areas and neighborhoods. You can also organize the listings into categories and make notes for me or ask a question about a listing,

Please feel free to contact me at your convenience so I can get you set-up for the Gateway search. I look forward to hearing from you very soon as well as finding you your new home in Charlotte!

Debra M. Buck
704.421.2107 Cell
debra@hmproperties.com
Web Reference:  http://www.hmproperties.com
Marilyn Huds…, Agent, Clover, SC
Tue Jun 9, 2009
Hi Zina,
Congratulations on making the decision to move to the south! You're going to love it here. It's a great time to make the move especially with the tax credit available to you. I have a few ideas for areas for you to consider. Feel free to call or email me directly. I can set you up with your own website to view homes that fit your criteria. I am licensed in both NC and SC (Huntersville is NC and Fort Mill is SC) and have several great Mortgage brokers lined up to discuss the best program for you.
Looking forward to working with you :)
Marilyn Hudson
mhudson@kw.com
704-608-1406
Web Reference:  http://www.marilynhudson.com
Daniele Summ…, , Charlotte, NC
Tue Jun 9, 2009
Good evening. As a Realtor from NH I welcome you to beautiful NC! ne of my specialties is relocation. I know.... every agent says they are a specialist in some area or another, but I truly do go the exxtra mile for my clients that are out of state. I welcome you to take a look at my web site and see for yourself my services to you. (see web references at the bottom)

You have an open mind when it comes to comute time, which is good because on occasion during rush our it can take over an hour to drive 12 miles. So to stat within your transit criteria I would recommend the areas of Mooresville, Huntersville, Cornelious, Concord, Lake Norman and Davidson. in addition these areas offer a wide selection of housing in the price range you listed.

I would like to chat with you more when you have time and see if we can pinpoint exactly the right place for you and your family. In the meantime, please take a look at http://www.NCreportcards.com for complete report cards on the schools in the areas I mentioned.

Have a great evening.

Daniele Summerfield
Wilkinson And Associates