Home Buying in Oklahoma City>Question Details

Aileen Taylor, Home Buyer in Midwest City, OK

Loan officer is asking my work history that was a long time ago already, is this discrimination or not?

Asked by Aileen Taylor, Midwest City, OK Fri Jul 18, 2014

We are already pre-approved for the loan and already scheduled a closing date which is July 31, 2014. Now i don't 2 years work history years here in the US cause when i got here last Jan.1, 2014 (from another country) I have to wait for my work employment authorization be approved before I can find a job. In the middle of this loan process they asked my work verification from my country that I work there from June 1996 to 2009. Will this be a reason for denial if i can't provide it from my old company? I thought they only ask 2 years and for more information i am a co-borrower , the primary is my husband and he got a stable job and 4 years work history in just one company. Do i need to continue it or just find another mortgage, the first loan office where i cancelled our loan didn't ask anything like this.

Answers

5
This is a normal process with most lenders. Just because you have a contract and a set closing date doesn't always mean it will happen on time or at all. If you want to purchase a home you should comply with all of their requests.

Sure it's discrimination, but it's not illegal discrimination. It's not 2005 any more (thank goodness) and loan underwriters want to make sure the people they lender to can pay the money back. Sorry it is frustrating, but it's what most of my buyers have to go through these days.
Asking proof of employment is a part of the process. Since the recession banks are tighter than ever when giving loans and they want to make sure you do have a work history.
Waiting for your mortgage to be approved is a very stressful process for most people. This all sounds like a normal part of the process. More than likely you could start over, however you would be back at square one and would certainly need an extension on your purchase contract.

Hang in there and best of luck with your purchase!!
This is part of the process. If an institution is going to provide financing for a large purchase, part of the process is verify and checking everything.

One can try another lender but closing will probably have to be pushed back 4 weeks so the new lender can start over from the beginning.

Verify everything with your Realtor Member.