There should be no reason to keep it active unless it was contingent upon the sale of your existing property...
There could be any number of reasons(excuses) for this but you may consider bringiing it to the attention of the agents manager/broker.
Do you have any unusual contingencies in your agreement? From time to time, sellers and their agent will drag their feet when unusual contingencies are involved.
A call to the broker should clear things up for you.
I would suggest having your buyer broker call the Broker in Charge of the company the listing agnet works for and asking them nicely to look into it and update the local MLS appropriately.
Bear in mind the home may be under contract but you have contingencies (insepctions, financing etc) and until you've removed them the Seller isn't certain your deal will close. Given the market they may be instructing their agent to leave it as active, though this isn't truly the case.
I'm sure things will turn out OK, and I wish you all the best in your first home.
No the seller is not the listing agent, but he is a realtor himself. I guess I am concerned that by not listing it as pending they are keeping their options open for other buyers. Which I just don't think it's fair, while we are putting money forward on inspections, appraisals etc. the home continues to be listed. I have talked to my agent and broker of my agent, They don't think I should be worrying as much, though our realtor did call and request that the home be placed on a pending status. Also for me it's just a matter of knowing that for our first home we'll have pictures of it saying pending, then sold etc., I am the sentimental type, everything single detail is important. Yet, we are moving forward.
Yes, we are working through reading them (I feel so lost reading it). We have paid for escrow, and we are in that "17 day" period where we do all of the inspections, appraisals etc., on the home. Inspection was done last Saturday, working out the repairs list to send back to seller. We are currently renting so, can't say that they are waiting for our place to sell.
In hopes of having the status changed I contacted the broker without letting him know who I was, and he emailed back saying that he would change the status by the end of the day. It didn't happened. I also noticed he had forward his response along with my request to the seller. Just weird to me, that they wouldn't change it.
Hope that answers your questions.
All my best,
I wouldn't be too concerned if I were you as you are in escrow and you are moving forward with your inspections and such. But as an agent who works with buyers this is more than annoying and is indeed misleading. What usually makes it worse is an agent who won't return calls for status. When I come across something like this and I finally do get ahold of the agent I remind them that they might want to change status to reflect the pending sale. Doesn't always work, but I try.
By any chance is this a short sale?
Like George pointed out, if they are worried about fall-out then they should put it back up status, but I know that some agents don't do that because when buyers agents are searching for properties they don't look at homes in "Back Up", only active. So they may be leaving it active for that reason.
If it still concerns you then go ahead and have your agent contact the broker to have it changed. Doesn't mean they will, but at least you know you've tried. Otherwise, just keep moving forward on your end and meet your contingencies and you should be fine.
Best of luck!
@ George not listing the property as pending is misleading. Our agent has contacted the sellers agent several times, and nothing has been done. We were told that it is the responsibility of the selling agent, they are the only ones that can go in the MLS and change the listing from active to pending.
I don't see any problem with that!!! In today's market, when a listing agent receives an offer on a home, in some cases, something happened during the transaction and the offer wouldn't go through, for several reasons. Therefore, I wouldn't blame the listing agent for not changing it to "Pending", but he/she could change it to "Backup", instead. In this case, he can always entertain other offers from other buyers.
We have both signed and we have been in escrow, and we are having our home inspection today. The home still shows as active. Our agent isn't concerned, and I feel like I should not be concerned because she isn't. Yet, I am concerned.