Lake home near NYC

Asked by gafnewyork, New York, NY Mon May 27, 2013

Hi we are a gay couple looking to purchase a lake house within 2 hours of NYC. Prefer someplace that has a growing gay population or place that is gay friendly.

Answers

5
Christopher…, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Mon May 27, 2013
Hi, unfortunately agents cannot discuss demographics. I can however help you locate lake communities in general. North Salem, Cold Spring, and Mohegan Lake are all very popular. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance. Have a great day!
Thanks for reply. Just to give more detail. our max budget is $350k. looking for min 2 bedroom. right on lake.
Flag Mon May 27, 2013
Nick Rafello, Agent, NY,
Mon May 27, 2013
Sorry, due to Federal Laws of the United States, the "FAIR HOUSING ACT," no real estate agent can touch this. You must research areas that work your needs and wants and then go from there.

Nick Rafello
Licensed Associate RE Broker
The Corcoran Group
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Mon May 27, 2013
Visit a neighborhood several times to get a sense of belonging. Check out area statistics; real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods; so, you should check out demographics on your own to assure your comfort level can be reached.
Joseph Hasti…, Agent, Bayside, NY
Mon May 27, 2013
It's not that "no real estate agent can touch this" as someone mentioned but the other point is we, as state licensed brokers cannot "steer" or comment as to the demographics of any location as that is considered discriminatory. That's a big no no for every broker and those that don't adhere to non discriminatory practices may find themselves in a tough situation at some point. Yes, you do need to be aware of neighborhoods or areas where you would like to concentrate your search and possibly move into.

I strongly suggest you ask friends and family of locations that may work for you. I'm sure you know a broker or have a good friend that knows one. Get in touch, see if you can work with them. Good luck.
Thank you. I didnt mean to create such a reaction. Just want to make sure we find a place where we would feel comfortable, given intolerant views of some.
Flag Tue May 28, 2013
Gail Gladsto…, Agent, 11743, NY
Mon May 27, 2013
Gafnewyork,

I represent a lovely mountainside property, but you have not mentioned bed/bath requirements or the $ amount you have been pre-approved for...the essentials for househunting.