Just bought a duplex i will live in, current tenant is on a month to month lease can i give them a new lease for a year and raise the rent

Asked by Lkay, Bridgeville, PA Sat May 25, 2013

Answers

6
George R Her…, Agent, Pittsburgh, PA
Sun May 26, 2013
In a word yes. What they are is a "tenant at tolerance" and as the owner you can give them the option of continuing occupancy under terms that are acceptable to both of you(a lease) or vacating the premises.
Thanks, George. I am giving her a week to sign the new lease, we just closed yesterday, however, the rent is due for June, is she required to give me the new rate that I'm asking even though she hasn't yet signed?
Flag Fri May 31, 2013
Simon Campbe…, Agent, Miami Beach, FL
Sat May 25, 2013
Yes, unless they have a lease which is on a month to month basis and the terms restrict this. In 95% of the cases, you can get them into a lease. I would recommend providing some evidence to show what the market rent should be as a reason why the rent is going up.

You should be prepared if in case the tenant walks. If they are a long-term tenant which always pays on time, it may be worth keeping them. A couple of months of the property being empty each year as you turn over tenants can quickly eat up any rent increase.
Jeremy Pronto, Agent, Moon Township, PA
Wed Nov 20, 2013
Yes you can. Since there have been no new terms presented from the previous lease that is why it keeps rolling over month to month. I would present the tenant with a new lease that they will need to sign or they will need to move out at the end of the month. Since it’s difficult to move and you may want to stay on good terms with that tenant maybe give them a 60 day notice to vacate.
Lkay, Home Owner, Bridgeville, PA
Sun May 26, 2013
I want to raise the rent $50.00, which is less than 10% and am confident the market will definately support it. Their current lease currently doesn't have any restrictions about raising the rent.

Thank you all for your timely responses
Joann Snyder, Agent, Coraopolis, PA
Sun May 26, 2013
Yes, but only 10% higher.
Brian Teyssi…, Agent, Pittsburgh, PA
Sun May 26, 2013
Thanks for posting your question on Trulia.com!

Short answer: Yes.