Johns Creek Station by DR Horton in Johns creek

Asked by Buyer2011, Plummer, ID Wed Mar 20, 2013

Came across this SD wy DR Horton. Saw a mad rush last week at the sales office and wanted to know if it is a worth the hype. They were saying the houses are priced at 400-450K for a 3600 SFT home. Too good to be true, because I find a new house in 3600 range starts at 480K range based on what I saw at Highland by Astonwoods. Any thoughts. Please let me know.

On a side note, not many good lots that I can find. Guess the good 4-5 lots were already picked up by the mob :)

Answers

15
Hank Miller, Agent, Alpharetta, GA
Wed Mar 20, 2013
Fultoncrazy! Good to see you out here...long time.

Buyer2011 there is a major rush of new construction going on - mainly because buyers love new. Several other factors include builders getting REO lots cleaper than retail, rates that are ebbing up and getting buyers active, rents going up - but that will soon change, and buyers locking in as prices continue to rise due to material costs.

JC is also driven by buyers looking to be in place before school starts - we are entering the busiest part of the year and that area is tops for schools. As for new construction, I have six set to close over the next three months in NFulton both E/W of 400. I know these products well - both from selling them and appraising them - and this segment is robust.

As for the prices - remember that you will see BMWs advertised at prices that seem too good to be true - only to find out that the small print and options land you right where you expected. Advertising is designed to bring you in and get you emotionally connected - I prefer the raw math as it ensures my folks get the most they can.

Let me know if I can help -

Hank
Web Reference:  http://www.hmtatlanta.com
Robert A Whi…, Agent, Roswell, GA
Mon Mar 25, 2013
Hi Buyer 2011,

I am here when you decide to hire an expert.

Robert
Hank Miller, Agent, Alpharetta, GA
Sun Mar 24, 2013
2011 -

you're in need of impartial opinions on the community, area and new construction in that JC area. That requires research that comes from working with a buyer's agent, it's not something that can accurately be given here.

The variables are many and they cannot be properly addressed without a detailed review of your specific situation - which is what a quality buyer's agent should do.

Not that complicated for those of us that do this full time.

Hank
Robert A Whi…, Agent, Roswell, GA
Sun Mar 24, 2013
Buyer 2011,

I understand fully what you want - I have been trying to tell you, that as agents, we are not allowed to give pricing and valuation justifications and other professional information and opinions to the general public - that type information is reserved only for clients.

Its the same with attorneys - they will "speak to you" but until you become a client, you arent getting any expert advice - its all about liablity and the client vs customer relationship I have been tring to explain.

Robert
Buyer2011, Home Buyer, Plummer, ID
Sun Mar 24, 2013
Thanks Rober and Hank.

I value your input. I am trying to get what you experts and buyers like me think about the SD. I do not want to deviate from my original question. Rather I would like to focus on the SD, and price justification for this SD. By no means I am thinking the DR Horton's agent is obligated to the buyer, but I do need to know seller's "pitch" to understand if it is in line with the opinions of you experts.

Any insight into this SD will be helpful.
Robert A Whi…, Agent, Roswell, GA
Sun Mar 24, 2013
Exactly - there is nothing wrong with research - just make sure you get it form the right source - I am a research fanatic - I am not so concerned about price - I want the best I can get for the price I am willing to pay. There is a big difference between price and value. I am now looking to buy one of 3 awesome cameras - the Fugi EX1, Cannon 7D, Olympus OMD EM5 - hands down the three best cameras anywhere near the $1600 price range (still need to see the new Nikon 7100) but I have expert photograpers who are friends - I will go to them with questions - not the sales guys at BH photo in NY or Showcase here in ATL.

Like Hank said - Buyer Brokers are free.

And DH Horton makes a good product and I have sold homes by them and every builder under the sun including those you have never heard of. You can never rely on the county inspectors - they are way overscheduled and they do not "monitor" construction or hold the builders hand - they only come by about 10 times (for 10 minutes each visit) over a 5+ month period.

For anyone who doesn't believe mistakes are made during the home building process, (and sometimes covered up by contractors who are in a rush) I have reams of photo's that prove otherwise. I have been inspecting buildings for over 20 years and have seen it all. Most builders will address these issues, if caught in time, and if found before their liablity runs out - 4 years after the CO is issued here in GA.

But why invite a hassle you don't have to deal with - when someone is offering to prevent that hassle for free? Just because something is fixed, doesn't mean it will not cause you great inconvenience - see the link below for an actual example in East Cobb where I live and work - this is a huge national builder and well respected - I assure you the buyers were inconvenienced.

Bottom line, it is alway better to have more expert help than less - and the more services your expert can provide - especially for free - the better off you will be.

Robert
Hank Miller, Agent, Alpharetta, GA
Sun Mar 24, 2013
2011 -

Bob brings up a few good points, Caroline represents and is legally obligated to represent the builder's interests above all. I'm certain there are comps out there and I have no reason to doubt what she says below is accurate. What I would say is remember that the purpose of marketing is to bring buyers in. Once you finish, you are not likely to see the same price that you saw out front.

I've sold DRH homes in the past, no issues and we never felt concerned about anything; they're a large nationwide builder and there are both company checks and county checks in place for construction. This community is moving fast - that should tell you something about the apparent appeal of the place - and the chance of "below market rate" prices - those days are over.

I'm certain Caroline is going to be helpful and do what she can to support her client - as she should. I would submit that you should have a buyer broker working to dig possible contrary data so that you get the full picture. It's possible that there is no contraryu data - then in that case you can act with complete confidence.

Remember, buyer representation is typically at no cost to you, I think you would be wise to interview a few agents.

Hank
Buyer2011, Home Buyer, Plummer, ID
Sun Mar 24, 2013
Wow!!thanks Robert. That was really informative and helpful.

May be COMPS is something I should not have asked Carolyn. I could spin it around could ask how does DRHorton is planning to position JCS in current market from price point of view and other related questions. Since she clearly indicated she works for DR Horton, I would take her response in that spirit that she is representing the seller but not the buyer. It is like checking a particular store carries the product I am looking for or not. You will always shop around to see the best match for your needs. Of course the decision would ultimately reached with the knowledgeable resources AKA my agent.

Gathering little bit information and research helps the buyer, because at the end of the day the buyer is the one who is on the hook.
Robert A Whi…, Agent, Roswell, GA
Sun Mar 24, 2013
Hi Buyer 2011,

It is obvious that you need a Buyers Broker to represent you, and pretty obvious you don't plan to hire one - for whatever reason. Unfortunately, if a flash of enlightenment hits you later in this process, and you realize you need (I didn't say want or prefer) need to be represented, the course you are on now can completely remove your option to be represented in the future with regard to certain sellers.

Let me be clear - you are not alone - a lot of folks go out and get in trouble with real estate because they don't know what they don't know.

This post is for your benefit (my free public service of the day) but more importantly, for the public at large - all the future readers and purchasers who will come after you, and who might be starting out with the same lack of knowledge and understanding about the process of buying a home as you.

A few questions for you to consider - I suggest if you concentrate on getting the answers to these - they are WAY more important for you in the long run than comps and price per sq ft etc. If you don't beleive me, Google Clark Howard, or Elice Glink (national consumer protection experts) and ask their folks - call an experienced local real estate attorney - but get the knowledge needed to protect yourself first - before making one of lifes largest financial transactions!

1. Do you really feel that asking a few questions "on the internet", arms you with sufficient and accurate information to go out and buy a home on your own - "acting as your own broker"?

2. Do you really think you you can forsee and negotiate all the pitfalls in real estate transactions as well as an experienced Buyers Broker acting on your behalf?

3. Are you operation under the flawed assumption that you will save money by "doing it yourself"?

4. You do know that Caroline, probably a wonderful agent, is representing the seller/builder DR Horton - and as such, is duty-bound to sell DR Horton homes and only DR Horton homes, and is legally charged with doing her best to get the best price and terms for DR Horton?

5. Do you realize that Caroline can say almost anything (because you are a customer and not a client) in order to sell her builders product - and she is not being misleading or underhanded - that is her job as the builders representative.

6. Technically, what you are asking Caroline to provide to you, is against the rules of agency relationships - according to GA Real Estate regulations, an agent is not allowed to provide things like "comps" and other data that gives the benefit of the agents professional expertise to "customers".
( And even if she could - would you actually rely on the sellers data - expect the data she gives you will be accurate, comprehensive, and have no conflict of interest!)

7. Are you aware that a "comp" on the same property can be spun many ways just by selecting inappropriate data, or leaving out a few peices of data?

8. Did you know that many of the agents on this very post do not know (or obey) these GA rules on the Laws of Agency - they routinly go out and work with buyers without ever entering into a written Representation Agreement - or wait until submitting the offer (a little late then because you weren't ever protected up to that point)!

A written Exclusive Buyer Brokerage Agreement is the ONLY thing that makes an agent accountable to a buyer for their errors, actions, or faliures to act. It charges the agent with doing thier best and doing everything (legal) to take all actions in your best interests - and it should be signed BEFORE they start working for you, not after or later.

To sum up, from a technical and legal standpoint, Caroline can't commit fraud, but short of that she can tell you anything to sell her builders product, because you are a customer and not her client. I am sure you dont know what I am talking about - so I will include a link so you can learn - you are so concerned over what apprears (to you) to be a $30K disparity between two new developments - you can loose a lot more mony than that if you don't know what you're doing.

Robert Whitfield
Broker/Owner
Professional Buyers Broker
New Home Construction Expert
ICC Code Certified Building Inspector
Advantage Realtors
678-585-9691
RobertWhitfield.com
TheHomeBuyersRep.com
Corporate Relocations | New Construction | Luxury & Investment Properties
Buyer2011, Home Buyer, Plummer, ID
Sat Mar 23, 2013
Thanks Hank and Carolyn

Carolyn,

Can you share some comps to make me comfortable that the prices are below market rate?

I drove by the SD today and I noticed 10 out of the 30 lots are sold. Good work there, but what about the rest? the left over 20 are not so good. I am bit weary about it.

While driving though I have noticed a huge construction work on the other side of the McGinny on Forsyth side. I believe it belongs to DR Horton. The area is so vast I thinkt it would hold atleast 100 SFRs ( Wow!!!). Can you share more details on it as well? Since it appears to be big will it have swim and tennis.

I am interested in Johns creek station as well, but will be more interested if the communities of DR horton can share the amenities, Its a WIN WIN for all. Is it a possibility?

Thanks again Carolyn.
Carolyn Foun…, , Atlanta, GA
Sat Mar 23, 2013
Hi Buyer 2011,

It is not good to be true, we promise you! As D.R. Horton is the #1 Builder in the nation, we can offer our high quality homes for less money than the other builders in the area. Our John's Creek Station homes actually start at 355,000 for 2900 sq ft & 401,000 for 4200 sq ft.--much lower than the market for John's Creek. We offer basement and non-basement sites and even though we have sold homes since our grand opening last weekend, still have beautifully situated sites facing all directions with yards, and also in cul-de-sacs. The "mob" you saw last week was due to the grand opening party we had. it has since calmed down a little bit and we would love to see you for a tour of homes and the site. Please call us for an appointment 770-623-1756 so we can change your name to “Bought 2013”!

Carolyn Fountaine
John's Creek Station and Wyndham Park
D.R. Horton, America's Builder
404-312-6429
cvfountaine@drhorton.com
Robert A Whi…, Agent, Roswell, GA
Wed Mar 20, 2013
Hi Buyer,

Your questions points out exactly why you need an expert who monitors the market constantly and is experienced in dealing with new construction homes, builders products, and builders agents.

There is really no way to accurately compare advertised price vs sq ft figures between two or more different developments like you pose above, without a careful analysis of what each builders product contains as far as finish, fittings, systems, etc. Sometimes one builder has much nicer detail work in a similar sized home than another. Another variable that can add $40-$50K or more to a home is the lot - just because it is deemed to be a "premium lot".

I have worked with new home buyers for over 25 years in the capacities of both a Licensed ICC Certified Building Inspector, and as a Broker/Owner. Whether you want to build a custom home from the ground up, or buy a production home like these, I can help you make sense of all the advertising fluff, options, and data, so it will be clear which home offers the best amenites, and quality for the price. In addition to all the usual and customary services you expect from any experienced agent, I do a pre-purchase analysis to check the builders work so I can help my clients understand what is going on and make a wise decision before they act. For homes under construction, I perfrom regular site visits to monitor the construction for my clients. Just because a home is new and county inspectors come out, is no guarantee at all that you will end up with a properly built trouble free home. I have been in over 5000 homes in my career and I still find things in new homes that would shock most people, including me. Most defects can be fixed - for some amount of money. My goal is to help clients avoid nasty surprises before they happen - or spot them in finished buildings so they can deal with it in the offer, or move on altogether.

Yes the market is brisk for new homes (especially in great public school systems in North Fulton and East Cobb), because of pent up demand for new homes and very favorable mortgage money. Over the last 12 - 14 months, Building permits have been on the rise and are now up to 2006 levels after 4-5 years almost non existant new home construction activity - expect to have some competition - but dont jump without knowing what you are doing.

I can definately help you - let me know if you're interested.

Robert Whitfield
Broker/Owner
Professional Buyers Broker
New Home Construction Expert
ICC Code Certified Building Inspector
Advantage Realtors
678-585-9691
RobertWhitfield.com
TheHomeBuyersRep.com
Katherine Mo…, Agent, Alpharetta, GA
Wed Mar 20, 2013
The builders are starting back up again, most times on lots they got at a discount from the banks, and are building cheaper houses than the existing inventory. Most times they are the less desirable "left over" lots.

Keep in mind the cost to build is much higher than what many resale sellers are on the market. Yes, there is not much inventory out there, but new listings are coming on each day (and at much better prices than new) and they are flying off the market quickly.

Recommend you get yourself an experienced agent who works the market daily and can get you first in line on some of these great deals. Then you won't have to stand in line "with the mob" or go on line to solicit advice. You'll have an expert who cares about taking care of you and getting you the best deal.

good luck.

Kathy

Katherine L. Morrison, CRS
Realtor/Owner
Team Realty Group, LLC
Alpharetta, GA
404-697-4626 direct
kathy@chipandkathy.com
Laquita Baez, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Wed Mar 20, 2013
Hi Buyer2011,

As you can see when you visited the subdivision yourself, these are very beautiful and spacious homes that are being built. I will tell you, new homes in Johns Creek and Alpharetta around the same sq footage and number of beds and baths are selling for more than $450k. So the prices for this subdivision seems reasonable.

If you like the location of this subdivision in J. Creek and can find a lot you prefer, consider hiring your own realtor to assist you because the on-site agent represents the builder.

Let me know if you would like to discuss your options further...

Laquita Baez
Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate Metrobrokers
770.901.0956
http://www.LaquitaBaez.com
Fultoncrazy, Home Buyer, Fulton County, GA
Wed Mar 20, 2013
hmm. This is not in zip code 30022. Are you sure?. You mean McGenny Ferry road where lot of construction is happening? it must be 30024 . Is it fulton/forsyth Please check.

As to your questions, I have no idea and will let the good folks here speak
Thanks. Yes you are right. it is not in 30022, but in Johns creek area 30024 on Fulton side. Across McGinnys. They are constructing houses on both side of the road( forsyth and fulton).
BTW the price 400K-450K for 5 bed, 4 bath 3-car garage with 3600 SFT on a basement. I just called the sales person to be sure before I post. Please share your thoughts
Flag Wed Mar 20, 2013