Ive been watching the condos at 247 Washington St for some time. Much like Swanton st almost all units are

Asked by Mark, Somerville, MA Tue Apr 28, 2009

the same (2 bedroom, 1 bath, 1000 ft). There are 2 units for sale now. $279,000 and $289,000. The lower of the 2 has been on the market for 10 months and the other is new to the market. The last unit was listed for $329,000 lowered to $300,000 and then sold (after being on the market for 8 months) for $240,000 back in Oct. 2008. I'm interested in these units but I'm not sure where to start my bidding...

Answers

6
Territory.c…, Agent, MA,
Tue Apr 28, 2009
One issue I foresee with Unit # 10 is the sellers bought it for $270,000 in 2001 so this might be tougher to negotiate a discount. Unit 28 was bought for $144,000 so unless they refinanced recently this might be an easier property to negotiate a discount.

I would start your bid at $230,000 and make sure you have a great negotiator representing your interests :

http://www.territoryre.com/idx/search.html?search=true&s…
gabriel palo…, Agent, Pompano Beach, FL
Mon Jun 6, 2011
Mark ,
Get your real estate license you sound as if you have done your homework.
Territory.c…, Agent, MA,
Tue Apr 28, 2009
Yes, I saw that it sold for 240000 and it had similar square footage which is why i suggest you offer under that price. Don't count the unfinished space when calculating price per square foot of livable space. The big questions too with attic space is ceiling height. A lot of listing agents add the space in overall square footage but it is not appropriate (this is why you should never work directly with listing agent(s) when making offers on a property ... they are legally obligated to protect the sellers interests, not the buyers).
Mark, Home Buyer, Somerville, MA
Tue Apr 28, 2009
unit 4 sold for $240,000 on 10/30/2008.... Question about sq ft. The larger unit is included an unfishied attic as part of the quoted sq footage, the other unit for sale does not... is this the norm? what should I be going by?
Heather Coll…, , Concord, MA
Tue Apr 28, 2009
Hi Mark,
I think the first thing is to find out what you are pre-approved for as far as a sales price. After you find that out, I see that there is a difference in the 2 units because of square footage. One is almost 100SF larger, which is obviously the higher priced unit. Which one were you interested in? The one thats currently on for $279,000 is assessed for $339,300 and as you probably are aware, it has been on the market fpr 241 days. The larger unit is assessed for $337,800 and has only been on the market for 7 days. If you would like more specific information on the starting bid, please email me directly at: heather@realestatebylaurab.com and we can discuss. I look forward to speaking with you!

Fondly,

Heather
Tue Apr 28, 2009
Hi Mark,

I don't see that last unit sold that you are referencing. The MLS shows the last unit that sold in the Washington Street complex was listed at $389,000 and sold for $385,000 in June of 2007 after 14 days on the market . I'm very familiar with the complex and the area and am happy to pass along a comparative market analysis at no cost and no hassle to you.

Jake