Is wind insurance a requirement for mortgage holders in Fort Myers, Estero, Alva, or Bonita Springs?

Asked by leerosenb, Fort Myers, FL Sat Dec 21, 2013

I currently live in Key West and have a mortgage. I've considered moving to the Fort Myers area. Because of the incidence of hurricanes here, mortgage holders are required to have wind insurance and flood insurance (to the tune of about $11K a year). Is the Fort Myers area an area that mortgage holders require mortgage insurance for the borrower?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Sarah Garrett, Agent, Fort Myers, FL
Wed Dec 25, 2013
If the home is located in a designated flood zone which would include areas in Ft. Myers close to the river, areas in Cape Coral that have gulf access canals behind them which lead to the river, most areas of Bonita and Estero on the west side of US 41 or any homesite under 10 feet above sea level you will need flood insurance.

Any home you buy that is older than 2000 will generally give you discounts on your home owners insurance of you have a wind mitigation inspection done at the same time you have your home inspection. I personally get over a $600 credit on my 2002 home which is approximately 22 feet above sea level between US 41 and I-75.

I have two families I have helped move from the Keys so I know what you must be going through with insurance and safety. I would be so happy to help you when you are ready. Until then please use the website below to keep track of your favorites. Happy New Year!

Sarah Garrett, Realtor
"Chosen Best in Client Satisfaction 2006-2013" by Gulfshore Life Magazine, Naple, FL
Cell: 239-464-8620
Web Access to MLS: "Shop like an agent with minute by minute updates."
0 votes
Ronald Wolch…, Agent, Fort Myers, FL
Tue Dec 24, 2013
The best way to answer that question is, wind insurance depends on the same thing as the value of property,,,, depends on Location, Location, Location,,,

Also the cost of insurance can depend on the house and year built.

I wrote a little about that here:……

Good Luck

Ronald (Realtor Ron W ) Wolchesky
0 votes
Jennifer Fer…, Other Pro, Fort Myers, FL
Mon Dec 23, 2013
I am not an insurance agent or a mortgage lender, however I do see that this is required. The mortgage lender you use will advise as will the insurance company you choose. Best of luck in the decision.
0 votes
LLoyd Nichols, Agent, Fort Myers, FL
Sun Dec 22, 2013
yes you are required to be covered for wind and flood by mortgage holders in Fort Myers. Also in almost every cases you will need to get a 4 points and wind mitigation from your inspector which in turn will send it to your insurance as the bak will require it.. As for Flood insurance we may see in January if a new resolution will pass by bi-partisan efforts to postpone some of these hikes on flood insurance,. If lhe resolution passes, it is said that they will postpone these hikes in rates for 4 years which are controlled by FEMA, a gov agency, which as of now is the only way to get flood insurance . Now remember that these hikes affect only a certain type of homes which are in a certain type of flood zone. You may also need an elevation certification. Best: check with your insurance co and ask for a quote.
Feel free to call or contact me and I can also give you the name of a local insurance agency who is familiar with these matters.

LLoyd Nichols
Premier Florida Realty of SWFL
cell: (239) 810-2980
work: (239) 463 5217
skype: lloyd . nichols
0 votes
Marc Comisar, Agent, Bonita Springs, FL
Sun Dec 22, 2013

For any insurance related questions or need call

Kevin Greenwell
East & Greenwell Insurance Inc | Allstate
20321 Grande Oak Shoppes Blvd, suite 308
Estero, FL 33928
Direct: (239) 672-4306 | Office: (239) 434-7877 | Fax: (239) 362-0011
0 votes
Terry McCarl…, Agent, Cape Coral, FL
Sun Dec 22, 2013
Your lender will require you to carry homeowners insurance which includes hurricane coverage. Flood is required on homes that are in designated flood zones. As an example I have a 3 bedroom pool home with newer roof and hurricane shutters and I am NOT on a flood zone and my premium is apprapproximately $1,400. a year which is a fraction of your premium. Email me at or call me at 239-707-4575 if you would like to discuss this in more detail or if you have any other questions.
0 votes
Marge Bennett, Agent, Fort Myers, FL
Sat Dec 21, 2013
think it would depend on the lender. There is a map for flood insurance. Much of Fort Myers is not in a flood zone. Like Marc said, a wind mitigation inspection will save you lots of $$ on your home owner's insurance policy.
If I can help you find a home here or answer any of your questions, please give me a call at 239-560-4159
Marge Bennett
RE/MAX Realty Group
0 votes
Marc St Mart…, Agent, Fort Myers, FL
Sat Dec 21, 2013
Good evening! Thanks for a great question. We need an insurance professional to answer correctly. I can tell you that those insurance requirements vary by lender and are dictated by location. Not all homes in these cities and towns require flood insurance. Wind mitigation inspections will determine whether the home (basically the roof) is up to code in order to qualify for discounts. Speak to your insurance company and if you need references to local agents, email me and I will be happy to provide them.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more