KaMie, Home Buyer in San Diego, CA

Is 24 to 48 hours reasonable?

Asked by KaMie, San Diego, CA Sat Apr 18, 2009

My family and I want to buy a house soon (within 3-6 months) with a limited budget (3BR around $300K in RB/Scripps/Mira Mesa area), and I would like to know if I hire an agent and want to see a particular property, is 24-48 hours a good timeframe, or should I expect that the agent will not have availability on such short notice? I don't want to offend any realtors by expecting them to have that much availability to show me things, but from what I've seen the properties in my price range tend to go quite quickly (within a week sometimes).

Answers

3
Jeffrey Doug…, , San Diego, CA
Sat Apr 18, 2009
Dear Kamie,

In a normal market with normal sellers a 24 to 48 hour notice is great. In this market where there are so many Bank owned homes on the market - you may need to see them quicker than that. Until the market inventory of lower priced homes that are priced well increases, its kinda a mad dash to who gets there first!

Usually when I start working with Clients we go out on an afternoon and see everything in there price range. This gives them a basis and starts to build an idea of value in a given neighborhood. I then set them up with a custom client gateway in the area, price range, and size of home they are looking for. If they are serious about buying a home soon I will set the alert to ASAP.

The client can then preview the property in MLS by viewing the pictures and location. If they have any interest I then suggest a drive by to see if it is a consideration. If it is a go then I want them to call me so we can get them in ASAP - most Bank Owned (REO) properties are vacant for easy access. I find that many homes can be eliminated by looking carefully at the property location and MLS pictures.

Last month I had a Client were I previewed the property for him and he was not able to see if until 9:00 p.m. When he saw the property he wanted to make an offer - even then there were over 20 offers on the property. Time is of the essence on seeing them and presenting an offer!

Best to speak to agents that you are considering working with and come up with a plan, after all it is a partnership and it has to work for all parties.
Marcie Sands, Agent, Poway, CA
Sat Apr 18, 2009
Kamie,

If you and your agent are communicating frequently and are on the same page about your search criteria that is a very reasonable time frame. Your agent may even be aware of the new listing before you are. Your time availability will also be a factor. (Are you flexible or can you only see properties in the evenings, weekends etc...)

I recommend when you are interviewing an agent that you ask about their time availability and proxemity to the desired areas and see if it is a match with yours.

All the Best,

Marcie Sands, REALTOR
Simply The Best Real Estate Company, Inc.
Rancho Bernardo
760-644-1562
Denise Gleav…, Agent, Claremont, CA
Sat Apr 18, 2009
Hi KaMie,

Your expectations are totaly reasonable. Keep in mind that sometimes the showing instructions might be that they also need 24 to 48 hours to show.

If you are still interviewing for a buyers agent, give me a call I would be happy to speak with you further,

Thanks, Denise Gleavey
858-565-7777
Coldwell Banker
Denise@IHandleRE4U.com
Web Reference:  http://www.IHandleRE4U.com