Jmikol79, Home Buyer in Leesburg, VA

Is this considered interfering with the sale of a home?

Asked by Jmikol79, Leesburg, VA Sat Jan 12, 2013

I just bought a townhome a year and a half ago and it had quest pipe in it and this was not disclosed to me. I now have to pay a bill out of my own pocket of $5,500 to replace the pipes in my house. I have been told by the plumber that many of the homes have that pipe in it. Another home is for sale on my street and I was driving by in my car and stopped and asked the prospective home buyers if I could speak with them and they said yes. I told them what happened to me and that I was told many of the other homes may have quest pipe in them as well. I told them to ask the homeowner what type of pipes are in the house. The homeowner asked me what I told them and I told her that I told them to ask her what type of pipes are in her home and she said that she had never had anything wrong with her pipes and that I was interfering with the sale of her home. I told them to ask and I left in my car.

Answers

9
To the agents asking about Quest pipes ... Quest is the brand name for some polybutylene pipes that were the subject of a class action suit a number of years ago.

To Ron Thomas and Beth Seifart, the poster is asking if he's guilty of interfering with the sale of his neighbor's home. No need to insult him by implying that he was less than diligent when he purchased his home. His agent, however, should be flogged for not noticing the PB pipes and warning him of the possible future problems.

That said, many homes still have PB pipes and have suffered no consequences. Whether or not it makes sense to replace them before or after a problem occurs is up to the homeowner.
Thanks!!
Flag Mon Jan 14, 2013
It sounds like we are all basically saying the same thing but I want to apologize, I didn't mean to insult anyone. I was speaking in general terms. In this situation I was referring to buyer's Agent for the potential buyers of the house and they should suggest they use a professonal inspector. Thank you Glenda for filling us in on the pipes.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 12, 2013
Well, to answer your specific question - maybe you were, maybe you weren't "interfering" with the sale (from the seller's perspective), depending on one's definition of the word interfering..........but you have every right to have a discussion/conversation with anyone you want.

I don't see anything wrong in what you did....especially if this is an issue that should be disclosed.

Now, this isn't a legal answer, but I don't think this is a legal issue, either.

You didn't tell any tales, or start any (unfounded) rumors - you simply suggested the buyers ask the sellers a question based on your personal experience.

If the neighbor was trying to withhold that information - shame on them.

Just my 2 cents!

Best wishes......
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 12, 2013
The homeowner may have felt as though you were interfering. However, as has already been stated, this being America, you are free to say pretty much anything in this situation. I am also sorry this happened to you, but consider that you can accurately state that your plumbing is up to snuff when it comes time for you to sell!
I did get a professional inspector referred to me by my realtor. All the pipes on the outside of the dry wall were cpvc and the pipes behind the drywall were quest. I did not tell them that the home they were looking at had quest pipe in it just that I heard many do including mine. Right or wrong I felt like I did not do anything wrong and I wish someone would have told me to ask. I was a first time home buyer and did not know better but I don't think I would have ever known to ask that anyways. I don't feel like I interfered I just wanted them to have that info. Thanks for your responses and I appreciate everyone doing their best. Please ask the inspectors or let your clients know about these pipes. Even if there is not a problem now there could be later. Thanks again!!!
It sounds like you bought the Townhouse without doing any INSPECTIONS;
If that is true, you cannot blame anyone but yourself.
period. end of story.
I am sorry this happened to you but you do need to be careful in this type of situation. I am not sure what this pipe is either. However, a qualified inspector should be able to answer this issue for the potential buyer that is what they are for.
I am not sure what a "quest" pipe is either. You have to be careful in this sue happy world of interferring with your neighbors sale though. The potential buyer should have an inspection that would outline any potential hazzards. .
What is quest pipes? What's the age of the home? I've only heard of PBT pipes.