Is this a phishing scam?

Asked by Tashna Chin, Aurora, CO Sun Sep 1, 2013

Thank you for the email.

My name is James L Howell, I own the wonderful 4br - Single-Family Home . And I also want you to know that it was due to my missionary work transfer that made me want to leave the house with an intention of giving it out for rent ( We decided against selling it ) . I am looking for a responsible person that can take very good care of my property. I am not particular about the money for the rent but want the property to be kept clean at all time as it is our hard-earned property. If you are honestly interested and will absolutely maintain my property,(treating it like it belongs to you) that will be great as i hope i can put my trust and confidence in you because i will come to check on my property yearly. I initially wanted to put the house for sale but had a second thought to rather put it up for rent, because as a matter of fact l will be coming back home in the next 4yrs,and would need a place to live in. you are welcome to the house at your conve

Answers

7
Kimberly Ryan, Agent, Highlands Ranch, CO
Mon Feb 17, 2014
That would be my guess...the syntax is not correct
Here is a letter answering my ad for a caregiver . Maybe the same ; James Howell?

Read on for your amusement. BTW not the first time I have gotten letters like this claiming to be looking for someone to care for their family member. They go into a long drawn out story want all info from YOU not much on them as far as their own location. Oh and of course they are seemling have a 'good ' (lol) excuse for not being in the area as well as grampa, grandma etc.

Dear00000

Am glad to know you are interested, My name is James Howell and I'm 42 years of age and a father of two wonderful kids, my wife's name is -------n, she's a banker. I work as professional diver/under water welder and spend most of the time on sea attached to oil companies, you certainly will have access to my wife most times since she will be available after work hours. Am glad to know you are interested and available for the job, am not sure how best to go about this caregiver thing, as you should understand that life is not what you just leave in the care of anyone as it requires trust and love. Will be nice to have a personal interview with you so as to create a concrete ground with the hope of all best expectations. I did lose my father inlaw about two weeks ago and only had his funeral some days back here in Canada. We should be back to the states a week from now, hence we have been on the look out for a caregiver for my aged mother even before leaving the states for the funeral here in Canada, if it happens to be you then we would be the happy as myself and my wife will be so occupied with work in the coming week and we just seek to have the best person to care for her.

I would like to proceed with interview and it will be nice if you could respond soon so we could better understand you and establish some trust between us. I have listed some evaluation questions for you below as i was advised when hiring a caregiver, my mother means a lot to me so i will do everything possible to make sure we are leaving her in safe hands, someone honest, caring, trust worthy and reliable. Kindly provide your answer below each line of question.

Evaluation Questions are listed below:

Do you smoke?

How well do you like pets?

Any allergies?

Do you drink alcohol?

Do you own a vehicle of any kind?

Do you understand and speak English fluently?

Have you ever been treated for mental illness/depression?

Are you CPR and first aid certified?

Are you married or single?

Are you currently on another job?

What days and hours are you available for the job?

Are you available to work over time if needed?

Full name:
Address:
City:
State:
Zip code:
Phone:
Age:
Sex:

Thank you and stay blessed lastly kindly send atleast one of your reference (s) so we can contact them and know more about you.

I hope to get your response back soon enough so we can get on with this.

Sincerely.
James Howell.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Yeah Diver underwater whatever. Okay Diver Dan.
Flag Tue Nov 1, 2016
Robert McGui…, Agent, Denver, CO
Sat Sep 7, 2013
Tashna,

Don't fall for it. This is one of many rental scams being done on Trulia, Craigslist, and other sites around the Denver area right now. It is good to do your homework and due diligence on all such proposals.

Robert McGuire
Broker/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
http://about.me/robertmcguire33
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Sun Sep 1, 2013
Yes, it's a scam.

Not a phishing scam; that's different. You responded to an ad on Craigslist (most likely).

But, 100% guaranteed, it's a scam. There is no James Howell and he does not own the property you were asking about.
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Sun Sep 1, 2013
ps if this is a listing on trulia, flag it ................and report it to them so they can remove it
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Sun Sep 1, 2013
YES it's a SCAM - pure and simple.........a scam!

Next step is they will ask you to wire money!

DON'T do it.

RUN in the opposite direction!

Those scammers often have that same kind of long, convoluted sob story.......funny how many of them are missionaries !

Make sure you verify you are working with an actual landlord - reach out to a local agent for verification.

Run away from this one!
Littletonhom…, , Denver, CO
Sun Sep 1, 2013
Sounds odd to me. Some of the phrasing is off ("put the house for sale" and "giving it out for rent") Most often If someone is going to be out of the country they will list the house with a reputable leasing company who can handle things that come up.

Just be careful. Do not give anyone any money until you see the property and have a lease in hand. Be careful they do not want you to wire money and want money back, etc. Also, check for ownership of the house. You can do that by going to the county assessor's website.

Just be careful.
Dennis Evans, Agent, Clifton Park, NY
Sun Sep 1, 2013
If it sounds too good to be true, It usually is....
Make sure you do all your homework before accepting something like this...
Sounds very fishy...